Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If You Could do One Thing to Your Motor-Within Reason  (Read 1283 times)

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
If You Could do One Thing to Your Motor-Within Reason
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:56:03 AM »

I have an 08 SERK with true dual Rinehart's and Stage 1 breather.

This winter I may put her in to do something for a little more pouch or better sounding idle or both. It can not void the warranty and be a reasonable cost. Any suggestions. Cam? PC? not sure what would give more bang for the buck. Figure I would pick the brain of some of the great experts on this wonderful site!!!!

Bob
Bob

Bob  2008 CVO Road King- 105th.
Wife has 2005 Blue & White Deluxe.
Photos Link http://community.webshots.com/user/currybob

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: If You Could do One Thing to Your Motor-Within Reason
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:15:46 AM »

I'm hoping you did a SERT when you changed pipes and air cleaner?  If so the PC would be redundant.  If not, don't wait until winter.  If so, and you don't want to save the money for cylinders, pistons and gaskets after the w****anty runs out, cams are the heart of the engine.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:18 AM »

I asked the dealer if I needed a SERT and he said no. Is there one out there by Harley to cover these changes??

Bob
Bob

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »

I asked the dealer if I needed a SERT and he said no. Is there one out there by Harley to cover these changes??

Bob

Cheapest thing you could do to improve your bike is find another dealer. You definitely need either a Screamin Eagle Racing Tuner or Power Commander if you have changed the pipes in order to let the computer know that a change has been made.

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:54:19 AM »

From what I understand either of those can void your warranty.

I spoke to the service guy there and he said Harley has nothing. I checked the plugs last week with 1,000 miles on them and they are perfect. They said I can get it dyno to fine tune it but that's about it. The bike runs fine, plugs look good, doesn't backfire and feels good. I think I will look for a good dyno though.

Bob
Bob

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:09:46 AM »

You really need the SERT. Harley has it in the Sreamin Eagle parts book. To my knowledge, no one one this site has been denied a warranty claim yet because of having one. The Sert temporary connects to your bikes ECM and allows the fuel map and Air mixture to be changed. When your finished, unhook it and put it in your saddlebag and go on. If your dealer is that unwilling to get your bike running properly then you either need to look for a Indie or another dealer to put your bike on the dyno and get it tuned in the right way.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »

swap it out with a JIMS 131 inch.. This is in reason.. mine anyway  :huepfenlol2:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:44:52 AM »

From what I understand either of those can void your warranty.

I spoke to the service guy there and he said Harley has nothing. I checked the plugs last week with 1,000 miles on them and they are perfect. They said I can get it dyno to fine tune it but that's about it. The bike runs fine, plugs look good, doesn't backfire and feels good. I think I will look for a good dyno though.

Bob

Bob you're going to hear a lot of BS here. Do you have any other dealers within your area? How far is the next closest one? You do not want to take it to an independent motorcycle shop to have work done while it is still under warranty. Find another dealer that will put either the SERT or PCIII on and is willing to honor the warranty. Use this dealer. Use this dealer for buying all your accessories as a way of saying 'thank you'. This way you can build a strong relationship with them and should the time arise you have a trusted place to go. If a dealer tells you that putting a SERT or PCIII on will void your warranty, find one that is willing to do the work and reward them for the business.
AJ

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »

hard10 

I have one in Birmingham that is about an hour away. I thought a dyno was like a SERT in that is programs specific to your bike where a SERT is a general program for bikes with a similar set up. I think I will call and see what they tell me about a SERT however, not sure which would be cheaper or better.

Bob
Bob

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 flstfse
    • CVO2: 08 flhrse4
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »

HD can't change the ECM without a sert or other aftermarket tuner, so you will need one or the other to get it dyno tuned.

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »

gunrunner

I'm glad you told me that for I was not aware. Good info.

Bob
Bob

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »

one thing? i would have a motor that didnt grow so much from heat. you cant control any other parameters if clearances and adjustments keep changin. reckon why water cooling is in our future?

my bike is quiet till it gets warmed up, then i hear the familiar front exhaust rocker tapping. even warmer----i notice the idle sound changes ( heads expanding away from intake, causing slight air leak?)

if we could control growth, our dyno charts would be closer, we wouldnt be talking about a really fast stock bike. LOL

we wouldnt be suspect to our dyno guy, etc:

had to spend a couple hrs on the traffic circle yesterday in dothan. i stopped three times to let bike cool off because i could hear the sound of the pipe changing. head temp alarm set at 325, so it wasnt too hot-----------just growing!

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.