Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: marine corp sending son to Japan-question  (Read 1465 times)

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
marine corp sending son to Japan-question
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »

Can you use the same cell phone he has now there? He's going to Camp Futenma on Okinawa as a Aircraft mechanic. If any ex service members here have been there I would be interested in what it was like. Can we just call him if we want from our cell phone to his cell phone? I hope he can get on the internet there also. His mother and I are hoping we can still call him on his own cell phone.

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
Re: marine corp sending son to Japan-question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »

Ace,

I travel to Japan several times a year. I have a blackjack II phone with Cinglular/ATT service.  The phone and PDA work just like I am in the U.S.  On dialing to the states, you have to put the "+" sign in front of the number and then just dial.  The internet works just like here as well, except your default sites sometimes come up in Japanese, and you have to switch over to the US version.  I'm sure the base has ample access.

I suggest you call his cell phone provider and ask if his plan includes overseas access.  I may be paying a premium for it, but I never see my bill as the company pays it directly.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:17:32 PM »

It depends on the cell carrier.  I know that if the sim card is authorized by ATT (formerly Cingular) that it works as if you were call within the States.  I do recall there was a per minute charge however. 

Sean M Cary

Re: Marine CorpS sending son to Japan-question
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »

Can you use the same cell phone he has now there? He's going to Camp Futenma on Okinawa as a Aircraft mechanic. If any ex service members here have been there I would be interested in what it was like. Can we just call him if we want from our cell phone to his cell phone? I hope he can get on the internet there also. His mother and I are hoping we can still call him on his own cell phone.

He will be able to get on the internet - he should get a VOIP phone and get a number local to you, no long distance.  They have broadband and all the amenities you can get here - plus some.  (Naha Red Light district comes to mind...but I digress - d00d??).

Oki is AWESOME!  Would love to be there myself right now.

Futenma is center/south end of the island, used to do touch and go's there when I was learning to fly. Used to have the best O-Club on the island.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:37:29 PM by Florida Marine »

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »

I was at Futenma for 15 months. I was only suppose to be there 12 months but extended. I guess that means I liked it. This was back in pobably 1979 though. Back then the locals treated us really good. Better than anywhere in the US. I heard that some things changed after a rape case though. This is all practically acient history now. Brings back memories. If your son is interested in scuba then it's an incredible place to be.

Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

Sean M Cary

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »

I was at Futenma for 15 months. I was only suppose to be there 12 months but extended. I guess that means I liked it. This was back in pobably 1979 though. Back then the locals treated us really good. Better than anywhere in the US. I heard that some things changed after a rape case though. This is all practically acient history now. Brings back memories. If your son is interested in scuba then it's an incredible place to be.

Bret

yeah two dumb a$$ squids and a Marine raped a Okinawan girl...

SCUBA is amazing there, that is where I became an instructor...did like 500 dives a year there.

Sean

elvislee

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:06:32 PM »

He will be able to get on the internet - he should get a VOIP phone and get a number local to you, no long distance.  They have broadband and all the amenities you can get here - plus some.  (Naha Red Light district comes to mind...but I digress - d00d??).

Oki is AWESOME!  Would love to be there myself right now.

Futenma is center/south end of the island, used to do touch and go's there when I was learning to fly. Used to have the best O-Club on the island.

Spent a couple of months TAD in NAHA with VMFA-115 after leaving Thailand in 1973, then a full tour just North of Futenma at Camp Butler in 1985. Of course no cell phones and internet then; but, LOTS OF FUN!! Back then the NAHA base was controlled by the Japanese Self Defense Forces;, now from what I understand, that location has been transferred over to an iinternational airport. Tell your son to check out the caves and caverns used by the Japanese in WWII during the Battle of Okinawa at "Suicide Cliffs". As stated, beautiful coral reefs for swimming, diving, and snorkeling. Lots of charter boat fishing and if interested in Martial Arts; one of the best places to be in the world to continue or begin ones training. The habu snake and mongoose fights were popular with millitary floks stationed on the island back then; not sure it's still legal today. Back then the Northern part of the island was the most rural area. As for the "RED LIGHT DISTRICT" Sean...I don't seem to remember too much about that area of the Island ;)...I SWEAR, I NEVER BEEN THERE...NOPE...NOT ME...Oh, I do seem to remeber being in a bar one time where the main attraction had something to do with the use of a HUGE Kirin beer bottle, a milk crate, and a roll of quarters  ;D ...But!, like I said...never been there...That's my story and I'm stickin to it  :-X
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:21:08 AM by elvislee »

Sean M Cary

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:13:41 AM »

Spent a couple of months TAD in NAHA with VMFA-115 after leaving Thailand in 1973, then a full tour just North of Futenma at Camp Butler in 1985. Of course no cell phones and internet then; but, LOTS OF FUN!! Back then the NAHA base was controlled by the Japanese Self Defense Forces;, now from what I understand, that location has been transferred over to an iinternational airport. Tell your son to check out the caves and caverns used by the Japanese in WWII during the Battle of Okinawa at "Suicide Cliffs". As stated, beautiful coral reefs for swimming, diving, and snorkeling. Lots of charter boat fishing and if interested in Martial Arts; one of the best places to be in the world to continue or begin ones training. The habu snake and mongoose fights were popular with millitary floks stationed on the island back then; not sure it's still legal today. Back then the Northern part of the island was the most rural area. As for the "RED LIGHT DISTRICT" Sean...I don't seem to remember too much about that area of the Island ;)...I SWEAR, I NEVER BEEN THERE...NOPE...NOT ME...Oh, I do seem to remeber being in a bar one time where the main attraction had something to do with the use of a HUGE Kirin beer bottle, a milk crate, and a roll of quarters  ;D ...But!, like I said...never been there...That's my story and I'm stickin to it  :-X

Baskets, bananas and quarters...that is all I will say.

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:59:12 AM »

You guys are great! Thanks for giving my wife and I some info on what he can expect there and answering some of our  questions.  He's a really good marine and we are very proud of him. He loves to swim and he also like martial arts so Im sure he will enjoy himself while serving there. I am a marine no longer on active duty myself - 79-82, but was a engineer and only served stateside. We're just going to miss him alot. Hopefully he can come home on leave at least once a year.

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK

Sean M Cary

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »

You guys are great! Thanks for giving my wife and I some info on what he can expect there and answering some of our  questions.  He's a really good marine and we are very proud of him. He loves to swim and he also like martial arts so Im sure he will enjoy himself while serving there. I am a marine no longer on active duty myself - 79-82, but was a engineer and only served stateside. We're just going to miss him alot. Hopefully he can come home on leave at least once a year.

The best deal going is Space A - used to fly to Korea for free, Hawaii - anywhere in the PAC rim you can go for $5.00 now - need to pad each side with a bit of leave in case the Air Force strands you...but great way to see the Pacific.

Another thing is to get to Iwo...they do a few trips a year there for promotions, re-enlistments etc...  I want to get there and have take some sand.

Hallowed ground.   :engel017:

Sean

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 08:52:37 AM »

The best deal going is Space A - used to fly to Korea for free, Hawaii - anywhere in the PAC rim you can go for $5.00 now - need to pad each side with a bit of leave in case the Air Force strands you...but great way to see the Pacific.

Another thing is to get to Iwo...they do a few trips a year there for promotions, re-enlistments etc...  I want to get there and have take some sand.

Sean
Scott, GSM or Global System for Mobile communication is the International standard. At&t and Sprint are the two carriers domestically that utilize this "format". I've used my GSM At&t phone on any occasions while travelling internationally with no problems (provided there is a cell tower within reach)

http://www.articlesbase.com/computers-articles/cdma-vs-gsm-cell-phones-442199.html

Congrats to you and your wife for bringing up what sounds to be a fine Marine.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:52 AM »

It's great to see all the Marines come out of the woodwork here. Semper Fi!

Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

elvislee

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:53:51 AM »

Sean

Hallowed Ground...Yes Sir...How True  :( For those Marines out there and everyone interested in reading about the Flag raising at Iwo Jima, read the book "FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS" by James Bradley...ace07fxdl, tell your son THANK YOU for serving his country, that we are proud he chose to do so. It gives me hope that ALL young men and women in this day of turmoil around the world that our 18 year old citizens will wear a uniform and pick up a weapon to insure all of us retain the freedoms we treasure...God Bless him and all the men and women who serve...Semper Fi!

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »

Hallowed Ground...Yes Sir...How True  :( For those Marines out there and everyone interested in reading about the Flag raising at Iwo Jima, read the book "FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS" by James Bradley...ace07fxdl, tell your son THANK YOU for serving his country, that we are proud he chose to do so. It gives me hope that ALL young men and women in this day of turmoil around the world that our 18 year old citizens will wear a uniform and pick up a weapon to insure all of us retain the freedoms we treasure...God Bless him and all the men and women who serve...Semper Fi!

Thank you and all of you for your kind words and helpful advice for my family and I.  I really appreciate it.

Semper Fi my brothers

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 25 queries.