Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 1000 mile service  (Read 12470 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: 1000 mile service
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »

Jerry, if people would quit putting out false information on this subject the whole thing would just fade away.  As 'dude pointed out, the Federal government regulates warranties and all the BS in the world doesn't change that.  If anyone feels the need to tolerate extortion just so they can feel more confident their dealer won't try to screw them, I would suggest they need to find another place to do business.

Oh, btw, everyone does realize that you don't have to go to your selling dealer, right?  You can take your bike to any franchised dealer for service under the terms of the warranty.  That pretty much negates any retaliatory action some unscrupulous dealership might try to take under the "pay the protection fee or else" theory. 

Jerry

I cannot help myself....I must stick my finger into the socket and feel the pain!

First of all I apologize if I perpetrated any information that was false.

I said I pay the dealer for these services to keep my warranty intact for which it does. I do not have the time or want to spend the time doing this (even though I have the Ability) rather spend my free time riding

If you are counting on the federal government for regulation of warranties you need to see the tooth fairy first.

Retaliation? no retaliation   of course a dealer will take care of a warranty claim if the bike is bought else where
they are getting paid rate that is good business, now it is another thing to make a non customers bike a priority.
I would take bikes I sold only as a priority (the price one must pay)

I feel no extortion from my dealer, he is there to help me get what I need. I know their limitations, but I do not expect a denial of a claim if it is in the grey area. That is why I pay them the money.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

cuttinhorse

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Copper Head Road Qween
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »

I am a pretty good wrench and have done a lot of it on a lot of bikes, trucks, tractors etc but I took my SERK to dealer for 1000 mile and wish I had done it myself. I have been working too many hours and had a lazy spell. I had them order me a set of V/H giant mega whatever ovals, SERT, and SE A/C and wanted them to do install and MAP download while in for service.

They said 31/2 hours for service and 2 hrs for accessories install. I bit the bullet and took it in.

There is a big window looking into the shop from the waiting area which I walked past every so often and my bike was right there in full view of the lift. Long story short, it is my belief, can't prove because I didn't watch the entire time, the mech did little if any more than fluid change. I asked him after he rolled it out "how did this look, how did that look, did you check this, was that loose etc ect. His standard answer to everything was "nothing is ever wrong with these bikes after only 1000 miles. I NEVER saw him with a wrench in his hand. I did see a pan under the frame so I recon he did change some fluid but I would't doubt a minute if the origional oil filter is still hangin.

He did a good job on the no brainer V/H instal and such.

It only took 31/2 for everything and they billed me for 51/2 so when I brought it to the service writer attention she said it don't matter, we charge set time per job, some mechs are fast some are slow, so sometimes we win, sometimes you win.

BS BS BS :-[ :-[ :-[

I won't spend a nother nickle there :P

They loose in the long run

At least I have a service documented , not worth the 4 hour wait

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »

I won't spend a nother nickle there :P

They loose in the long run

At least I have a service documented , not worth the 4 hour wait

Sorry for the all too common tale CH.  If you don't already have one (or even if you do) just think; five hours of shop labor even a couple times a year buys the table lift you'd like to have at home in the garage anyway.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »

The stealer here takes it one step farther, they charge book labor hours as long as the task is done in less time but if it goes over they charge actual labor time.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

so bottom line oil and filter change and call it a day

Jo Mo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »

so bottom line oil and filter change and call it a day

Jo Mo

Don't want to leave you with the wrong idea Jo Mo, so let me try to clarify what I said earlier.  What you will get at many dealerships is just as you said, oil & filter change and call it a day.  However, that is not what I would recommend you actually do.  In theory, if H-D builds them correctly, and if the dealer does the setup/predelivery inspection properly (yeah, right), you really shouldn't need to do a whole lot at 1000 miles.  However, speaking from experience I strongly recommend that you do in fact go through the checklist and do the checks, especially the critical fasteners. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 07:49:23 AM »

Thank you Jerry,

Jo Mo
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.