Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decision Time  (Read 1826 times)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
Decision Time
« on: August 10, 2008, 10:58:01 PM »

Fed up with putting up with this bike. Dealer telling me "just ride it". Runs like crap, and different crap every ride. Looking at an even trade on an 09 Ultra or being really stupid and ordering an 09 CVO Ultra if I can gain enough confidence that the 09 would run well and actually provide rider enjoyment. Can't wait another riding season to see if this bike can ever be fixed to operate like the machine I paid for andhad expected. Looks great though when parked, it's after lighting it up and the gears are engaged that it falls somewhat short of expectation, hell my wife's old MoPed was  more fun to ride.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Decision Time
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »

You might be better off trading your bike. If you are looking for something to go wrong everytime you ride, you are never going to be happy. The next owner will not have the same problem, they will most likely ride the bike and love it. I agree, those of us that bought 07 and 08 CVO's should not have had the problems we have faced, the good news is the factory is trying to fix them and if you have ext Warranty, they will keep making any repairs needed. I think they are great bikes with a few weak area's. I have owned new Evo's (required complete top end rebuild), new Twin Cam 88's (Cam bearing problems) and new this 110. They have all had issues.

I love the new frame on the 09's but will hold off buying a new bike until they come out with a new motor. Next time I will wait a year or two after introduction.

If money is no object, I would buy the new 09, If money is a consideration, like most of us, I think the best advise would be to make needed repairs and keep your bike until Harley comes out with a new powertrain. Good luck with your choice.

Scottt

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »

You will be money ahead to spend $6-7k and have a good motor builder put some aftermarket jugs and pistons in it. My 07SEEG ran like crap too. Now that I have the jugs changed and a Tmax installed, it runs great. Does not get hot, no pinging, pulls like a bear. I have 48k miles on mine now.

And I certainly wouldn't trade into a FBW setup this soon. With Harley's history of bad firmware, it's likely to be awhile before that's working right.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »

You will be money ahead to spend $6-7k and have a good motor builder put some aftermarket jugs and pistons in it. My 07SEEG ran like crap too. Now that I have the jugs changed and a Tmax installed, it runs great. Does not get hot, no pinging, pulls like a bear. I have 48k miles on mine now.

And I certainly wouldn't trade into a FBW setup this soon. With Harley's history of bad firmware, it's likely to be awhile before that's working right.
I totally disagree! If you are really fed up with your bike lose it like a hot rock. There are a lot of great bikes out there and not all Harley's eather. Go shopping and try out a few you will be surprised what you find. :) ;)
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 12:40:54 PM »

Dont forget that indy shops like ourselves that are a factory hd extended warranty shop can work with customers as well. No different than HD allowing you to upgrade at the time of a repair. Some times it can work in your favor. Now that hd offers the timken upgrade, how can they give you a hard time if you have it installed in your engine?? We just did an 08 CVO bagger. Crank went south, while inside we install the timken conversion as well. Sure the customer had to pay for that service but 300 dollars for that upgrade is well worth it, HD pays the rest of the parts and labor.  but I hav to admit some times any brand of car, truck, motorcyle, tv etc you can just get a lemon :( :nixweiss: Not much you can do . I have had my share over the years. i had a brand new softail that was just cursed, i swear you could not take it around the block without something creating a issue. Sold the bike bought another all was well.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Buvy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »

Now that hd offers the timken upgrade, how can they give you a hard time if you have it installed in your engine?? We just did an 08 CVO bagger. Crank went south, while inside we install the timken conversion as well. Sure the customer had to pay for that service but 300 dollars for that upgrade is well worth it, HD pays the rest of the parts and labor.

I was going to do the timken conversion but decided the best path was to just pay for the ESP and then if my crank takes a dump I will do the conversion then as you did on that 08.  It's on the list for sure though.

At least my list is growing smaller

Timken conversion (whenever cases are split)
Tru-Track
Hawg-Wired Four in the Face
Detach Tour-Pak
Oil Temperature Gauge
Adjustable Air Deflector Kit
Mid-Frame Air Deflectors
Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright
We're the renegades of this time and age
This is the time and age of renegades!

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.