Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Tech MP3 Player & Napster  (Read 2965 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Road Tech MP3 Player & Napster
« on: June 21, 2005, 04:37:01 PM »

After loading lots of songs from cd's and about 1/2 dozen or so from Napster I found that the player would skip over the ones from Napster. I tried re-loading them and still the same. The songs will play fine from the SD card when on the computer. [smiley=confused5.gif] I called Bantam who makes the unit for HD and they say that it will not play songs downloaded from Napster. They did not have any explaination as to why but they did say it will work with other online music services.

So the question(s) are:
Has anyone had a similiar problem? What services are you using? Is there a way around this?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Road Tech MP3 Player & Napster
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 06:41:47 PM »

Dude, I'm not familiar with Napster, but they could be using "protected" MP4 files like iTunes uses.  To get those to the MP3 format, you'd have to burn an audio CD then rip it back to MP3.  I have to do that with my iTunes downloads, so just a thought that might work for your problem. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:12:59 PM »

Dude....don't know if your using a PC or a Mac, but if you happen to have a Mac, I can give you a 2 second shortcut on converting the protected AIFF music file to your MP3, Ipod or disc.  Let me know.

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 08:18:28 PM »

I use MusicMatch Jukebox. I have to burn to CD. Back to the PC. Then to the SD card. Try it.
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 08:42:53 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll give them a try. By the way, I am  using Windows XP. The files are wma files.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:36:52 PM »

Thanks again to all that responded [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I burned the songs to a cd then back to the card and they work fine. Just a wasted cd.....Is there any other way anyone knows of?

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 11:35:05 AM »

I think there may be some "Shareware" out there to bypass the copy protection but not sure. I try to compile enough songs to make a good CD full before I burn. That way I can use the CD elsewhere.
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 01:14:03 PM »

Dude, I'm not familiar with Napster, but they could be using "protected" MP4 files like iTunes uses.  To get those to the MP3 format, you'd have to burn an audio CD then rip it back to MP3.  I have to do that with my iTunes downloads, so just a thought that might work for your problem. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

So fill me in on this....I currently download songs from iTunes to my computer, then copy them to the card....no problems....but....I am guessing that burning them to CD is a way one 'could', not that we would do this, get around the 6 burn limit iTunes imposes on its downloads?

elvis

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »

Thanks again to all that responded [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I burned the songs to a cd then back to the card and they work fine. Just a wasted cd.....Is there any other way anyone knows of?

Yup...buy a G4 Mac, use the PC as a boat anchor and simply drag and drop the music to your iPod or similar MP3 device.  It will remove the encryption, reformat and not count against the 6 limit on iTunes as it recognizes the transfer as a simple copy to a different drive.

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 01:42:09 PM »

BLM777,

I have a G5 Mac and am very interested in this.  When you say drag and drop to the Ipod or other MP3 device, would this include drag and drop to an SD card connected to a USB card reader?  

I was using tunebite on my Dell and that worked pretty good but I thought I lost volume and fidelity through tunebite.  Haven't found a suitable replalcement on the MAC.  If the drag and drop reformats from the AAC format, that would be great.

Thanks.

My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'03 FLHTCUI w/BigBore, V&H, Thunderstars
'05 FLHTCSE2 Two Tone Cherry
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 07:25:39 PM »

BLM777,

I did the drag and drop thing to an SD card and it retains the M4p protected format.  Any advice?

BD
My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 05:30:14 AM »

BLM777,

I did the drag and drop thing to an SD card and it retains the M4p protected format.  Any advice?

BD

Bad Daddy....I'm working out of town and am on my laptop, so I don't have the office computer here for reference, but I can offer the following from memory until I get back.  I use the iTunes Library to house all of the music that I either purchase, steal or download from internet radio using a little program called Wire Tap.  (I think you can copy it from the tech page at Mac.com.)  In the preferences section of iTunes there is an option to change all files to MP3 format.  Once selected, the software will automatically convert the AIFF files, such as those downloaded from iTunes purchases.  It will also convert any music pirated through WireTap or a similar recording program.  Once the music is reformatted, you can drag that selection from iTunes to the disk image for whatever device or CD that you have plugged in that appears on your desktop.  It will then copy to that device in readable form.  Hope this helps, but if not, I will be wrapped up on the road by late week and back to the main computer where I can check all the settings.

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 07:58:53 AM »

BLM,

Thanks.  I think I have it set this way, but I may be dealing with AAC files that were purchased from Itunes prior to making that change.  Tonight I'll verify the settings and purchase a tune and try it out.  Appreciate the help.

BD
My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 04:35:52 PM »

BLM,

Thanks.  I think I have it set this way, but I may be dealing with AAC files that were purchased from Itunes prior to making that change.  Tonight I'll verify the settings and purchase a tune and try it out.  Appreciate the help.

BD

More than welcome....when I get off the road and back to the big Mac, I'd be able to give you more detail.  

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.