Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pirelli 180/55-18 SESG  (Read 5607 times)

samule

Pirelli 180/55-18 SESG
« on: October 07, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

Dealer wanted $425 out the door on my 2011 SESG for the rear tire change. At one point they had a descent deal on tires and free install, but it seems to be gone. I called another big store dealer that does lots of tires and asked about mine. They said Pirelli has a tire that size for 275 installed. Has anyone tried or heard about this? Have gotten 10k out of each of the Dunlop HD tires. Im ok with that and on a 30k bike Im not gonna sacrifice any safety or quality for a buck fifty.... But..... if thery are as good or better then I am gonna give it a go. This link isnt where I was quoted installed but just info on it

http://www.bikebandit.com/pirelli-night-dragon-motorcycle-tire
Pirelli night dragon
 Features
      -High performance without sacrificing mileage
      -New performance product range tailored to Harley Davidson and metric cruisers
      -Modern tread pattern combines high performance attributes and a great new style
      -Outstanding grip at all lean angles
      -Special compounds offer incredible straight line acceleration and traction
      -New structural designs provide great stability and comfort
Thanks
Sammy
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:33:26 PM by samule »

robertg

• Full CVO Member
Re: Pirelli 180/55-18 SESG
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »

It's a radial, you need a bias ply tire.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »

According to the Pirelli size chart, the 180/55 R 18 has a load rating of only 74.  The stock tires are rated at 81 if I remember correctly.  So this is not a valid option.  And the fact it is a radial instead of bias belted like the stockers is also a consideration.  Some people mix bias and radials on the same bike, but it's not normally recommended.

I've done some searching in the past for a non-Dunlop solution for guys with the 18" rims, and so far I haven't found anything that is close to meeting all the requirements.  You have to make sure the tire you're considering is designed to work on the stock rim size (width) and it has the proper load and speed ratings.  Everything I've found so far in a 180/55-18 size has had a higher speed rating but a much lower load rating.  That's probably because those tires were originally designed for much lighter and faster bikes.  Be careful just listening to folks who claim you can install XWZ brand tires, especially those folks who are trying to sell them to you.  Insist on seeing all the specs and then make sure they meet the minimum requirements as set forth by the stock tires Harley specified for the bike.  Ethical places make sure they recommend only tires that meet the OE requirements for the vehicle.  Unethical or uneducated places will recommend whatever they have in stock.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:11:34 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »

According to the Pirelli size chart, the 180/55 R 18 has a load rating of only 74.  The stock tires are rated at 81 if I remember correctly.  So this is not a valid option.  And the fact it is a radial instead of bias belted like the stockers is also a consideration.  Some people mix bias and radials on the same bike, but it's not normally recommended.

I've done some searching in the past for a non-Dunlop solution for guys with the 18" rims, and so far I haven't found anything that is close to meeting all the requirements.  You have to make sure the tire you're considering is designed to work on the stock rim size (width) and it has the proper load and speed ratings.  Everything I've found so far in a 180/55-18 size has had a higher speed rating but a much lower load rating.  That's probably because those tires were originally designed for much lighter and faster bikes.  Be careful just listening to folks who claim you can install XWZ brand tires, especially those folks who are trying to sell them to you.  Insist on seeing all the specs and then make sure they meet the minimum requirements as set forth by the stock tires Harley specified for the bike.  Ethical places make sure they recommend only tires that meet the OE requirements for the vehicle.  Unethical or uneducated places will recommend whatever they have in stock.

The only ones I know of are the Avon Cobras AV71/72. Yes, they are radials and they do have a lower load rating, but there are some who have run them with no issues. Trying to decide myself if it's better to run these with the slightly lower load rating, or ride on the OEM cupped rear tire and a front tire who's sidewalls like to crack.

Jerry
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »

The only ones I know of are the Avon Cobras AV71/72. Yes, they are radials and they do have a lower load rating, but there are some who have run them with no issues. Trying to decide myself if it's better to run these with the slightly lower load rating, or ride on the OEM cupped rear tire and a front tire who's sidewalls like to crack.

The 180/55ZR18 Avon Cobra's require a wider rim than stock (5.50" versus 5.0") according to their data sheet, they are radials, they have a much higher speed rating, and a much lower load rating (74).  The stock 81 load rating equates to 1012 lbs, while a 74 rating equates to 827 lbs.  That's a pretty significant difference in my book.

I feel for you folks who Harley stuck with an oddball size rim, but considering how Harley screws folks on a regular basis I can't say I'm surprised they pulled this crap to lock you into buying their overpriced tires.  Hopefully the other manufacturers will see an opportunity to offer an equivalent tire that actually meets the OE specs in the near future.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

samule

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:35 AM »

Awesome info. Thanks for the heads up. There is so much good information on this site. Thanks again

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »

Awesome info. Thanks for the heads up. There is so much good information on this site. Thanks again

Lots of folks here have been going to the Michelin Commander II. Everybody that has seems to love it.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »

The Michelins dont come in the 18" sizes for the 2009 SERG.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »

I was convinced by a shop to try the Avon Cobras and I had them removed after 50 miles. My 09 SERG wobbled like crazy. The dealer told me they were fine and that I had to get used to them. NOT ... Went back to the Harley Dunlop tires.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

I was convinced by a shop to try the Avon Cobras and I had them removed after 50 miles. My 09 SERG wobbled like crazy. The dealer told me they were fine and that I had to get used to them. NOT ... Went back to the Harley Dunlop tires.

Wobbled, ay? Sounds like there must have been some other issue with the tires- I can't see them doing that unless they were defective or installed backwards or something.

I don't know- there is a Cdn member here with a 2009 SERG from BC I think- he has the Avon Cobras and likes them, but I don't know how much 2 up loaded down riding he does- I think that's when the lower load rating might become a concern.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »

Wobbled, ay? Sounds like there must have been some other issue with the tires- I can't see them doing that unless they were defective or installed backwards or something.

I don't know- there is a Cdn member here with a 2009 SERG from BC I think- he has the Avon Cobras and likes them, but I don't know how much 2 up loaded down riding he does- I think that's when the lower load rating might become a concern.
I suggested that the shop send the tires back to Avon for testing. I believe the tires (specifically the rear) were potentially defective

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »

I'm running a 180/55/18 pirelli night dragon on the rear of my 09 serg. only have a few thousand miles on it so i can't comment on it milage wise or rain, but it handles great on dry pavement.   Running a dunlop elite 3 bias on the front, 130/70/18, i really like this tire. I ran the avon crobras, three rear and two front. nice tires but only get 6 to 7k out the rears. I get about the same mileage with the stock 407. The stock dunlop 180/55/18 is 80=992 lbs load index, the pirelli is 74=827 lbs. There is a 165 lb difference. I just don't ride fat chicks. :drink:

My serg  is mostly ridden solo without a tourpak, but occasionally it gets a king tour pak with luggage. I also won't run my rear tire slick, when it gets to 1/8  1/16" tread its time for a new one. hoping for an elite 3 or something equivalent for the rear in the 180/55/18 soon but until then the HD proprietary tire is not for me.

Ride on

TN
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:56:39 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.