Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil in Air Filter  (Read 2495 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Oil in Air Filter
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

My '06 CUSE keeps blowing oil into the air filter.  In the last 2,000 miles I've added about 1/2 quart of oil.  I'm currently using Mobil 1 but previously used Amsoil.  I switched to see if the problem would go away.  It didn't!  Also, I can't fill the crankcase to more than about 1/4 inch above the add mark or it will blow the excess into the air filter.  I have a Ness Big Sucker Stage 1 air kit.  I know that some Harleys have a problem with the breather system.  I've talked to one Harley dealer and a couple of motorcycle repair shops and everyone says it's just a common Harley problem and not to worry about it.  But I can't believe this is normal.  Any suggestions or recommendations?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Oil in Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »

Blowby on these engines is common but not normal, some do it more than others. Keeping the oil level at about 1/4" above the add mark is the right thing to do. I need to do this on my own bike or it will blow the dipstick out at high RPM's. If the oil pump has been checked and alignment is correct than a fix that I have used with 100% success is the S&S reed valve. It mounts behind the oil pump and "times" the breathing of the engine. Attached is a pdf file of the install sheet for the reed valve.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »

George,

Well, we could have cried in each others beer about this problem when we got together for dinner Friday night.  I had started a thread on this too (see http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26814.0;topicseen).  I've got oil blown all over my pipes, saddle bag, etc.  It's a mess.  I'm going to leave it looking that way until I can get it delivered back to the dealer.  I had a 15,000 mile service done just before leaving for Milwaukee, so I don't expect any arguments when I ask them to fix the problem.  It is not the first time that I've had the problem with this bike, so I don't think that they've got a permanent fix.  Maybe we should petition for a product improvement on the 103's.

Preston

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:44:43 AM »

Are you chacking your oil when warm and leaning on the side stand?  Not sure for your bike, but my Road King calls for it to be on the side stand and not level.  Also the exhaust seems to make a difference ifthere is no back pressure.  I changed the exhaust on a previous bike and it started blowing oil out of the air filter.  There are aftermarket fixes for this including one by Doherty (not sure of spelling).
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »

George,

Well, we could have cried in each others beer about this problem when we got together for dinner Friday night.  I had started a thread on this too (see http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26814.0;topicseen).  I've got oil blown all over my pipes, saddle bag, etc.  It's a mess.  I'm going to leave it looking that way until I can get it delivered back to the dealer.  I had a 15,000 mile service done just before leaving for Milwaukee, so I don't expect any arguments when I ask them to fix the problem.  It is not the first time that I've had the problem with this bike, so I don't think that they've got a permanent fix.  Maybe we should petition for a product improvement on the 103's.

Preston

Yup, need a product upgrade program for TC88's, 96's, 103's, but 110's are perfect as is now that Harley has "upgraded" them.  And while they're coming up with a fix for the lousy breather system, maybe they could "upgrade" the old cam drive and tensioners, put the Timkens back on the crank, find a bulletproof method to build a straight crankshaft that actually stays straight, etc.

Suggestion to the folks who are contemplating the aftermarket to fix the puking problem; research your choice carefully prior to wasting a lot of money.  There are many products out there that claim to fix the problem that in reality just lighten your wallet.  The one that hd-dude mentioned by S&S appears to be the best approach, since it tries to deal with the actual cause of the problem and not just reinvent the stock oil separators or add a catch can/drain.  However, the S&S product only works with H-D oil pumps, so Fueling guys are out of luck on that one.  And of course it requires pulling the cam plate for installation.

One of the common threads I see with many folks complaining about excessive blow-by is that it is worse right after an oil change.  I have to believe that there are many individuals as well as "techs" who still fill the oil tank to the full mark or even higher (the book says 4 quarts and by god I'm putting in 4 quarts).  I suggest that if you do your own oil changes you fill to just above the add mark when cold, so it will be no more than halfway between add and full when hot.  If you have your dealer change your oil, tell them to do the same and then check behind them.  If it's too full, make them drain some out.  Will that eliminate all blow-by?  Nope, but it reduced it on my bikes to a light film that remains contained inside my K&N filter and on the backing plate, and not all over the side of the bike.  It's a really cheap fix that everyone should try first, and for those with a bigger problem there are still those other "fixes" you can try.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:08:32 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:23:19 AM »

Hey Preston,

Great meeting you at the Fish Fry In Milwaukee.  Sounds like my oil problem is rather minor compared to yours.  I've never had any outside the air filter.  But I can smell the oil in the filter when the bike is hot.  I suppose it's one of those things you just live with but it bugs the crap out of me.  Just like all the upper end noise I have on this bike.  Worse in the 2,000 - 2,500 prm range but it seems I even have a lot at cruising speeds.  I don't recall nearly as much engine noise on my '04 Road King Classic.

I think for me to solve my issues with this Harley I need to get rid of it and buy a BMW.  I can't imagine a Beemer having oil blowing out and the engine making a bunch of weird noises without it being fixed.

Let me know how you turn out.

George

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:31:31 AM »

BTW, I've tried em all! Doherty MistFree, S&S Reed Valve. Less oil helps. It's undersized and when you open it up with mods, nothing will eliminate it. Pipe it to the ground with Kuryakin Bluegrass Breather fittings and be done with it. Just gotta clean the rear wheel a little more often! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »

BTW, I've tried em all! Doherty MistFree, S&S Reed Valve. Less oil helps. It's undersized and when you open it up with mods, nothing will eliminate it. Pipe it to the ground with Kuryakin Bluegrass Breather fittings and be done with it. Just gotta clean the rear wheel a little more often! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Did Scott (sdunbar) have the oil issue after his mods??

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »

i had a problem with blowby on my 96"- kept pestering - new rings, pistons - 4 hours on the dyno running it through 5 heat cycles. nary a drop of oil since.

if its got blowby the rings are shot - plain and simple - if the engine is stone stock, keep whining till they do the fix.

according to the "rep" - the newer engines will over heat the rings if left to idle when cold - the oil is not flowing well when cold so the rings just cook. he said to get it moving as soon as there is oil pressure - and that idling once the oil is hot is not a issue, just when the oil is cold. he did say to not gas it cold, just start and ride away slowly until the oil pressure starts to drop down at stop signs, then its ok.

he also said the old habit of bliping the throttle from the days with carbs that would glob up causes the engine to idle hotter - just leave it idle and it cools down - but every time it gets blipped it leans it out - so not to do it. i dont blip it at all and have had no real heat issues since. [and im running a sidecar so you would think heat would be major & its not]

to

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

Did Scott (sdunbar) have the oil issue after his mods??

No - no oil mist issue...  I run a tad shy of 3 1/2 quarts of oil in the motor - always have.

I had John Golden tune her last Saturday morning in West Bend, WI. at the 105th.    Real pleased with the results...  I'll post some charts and results in a few days.  Just got home from a long weekend at the cabin in Northern WI.  I have to unpack - then repack as I am heading out of town on business in the morning...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 25 queries.