Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie with some EFI questions  (Read 1035 times)

quickster

• CVO1: 2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1980 Wide Glide 93" Shovel
Newbie with some EFI questions
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:51:47 PM »

How's it going all. New to the neighborhood.Just bought myself a 2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide and have a few questions about the EFI. First off, I don't know too much about the history of the bike. It has 36K miles on it, Rheinhart true duals, and a K&N air filter setup. The bike doesn't have a Power Commander according to the previous owner. I don't think it has been remapped for the mods. The bike idle's low after it's warm, and pretty rough. It pops and spits a little when in gear and low rpm. I'm bringing it in to the shop Monday, but wanted to have a hassle free ride first. Anything I can do besides be patient and wait?  Any adjustments I can make? thanks :2vrolijk_21:

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
Re: Newbie with some EFI questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:56 PM »

Welcome from SC !!!
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »

Welcome!

Do you know if it has a SE Race Tuner? Did you get a dongle for connecting to the ECU? If not it might have a flash upgrade, it's not designed to the modifications made to your bike, but just a canned change to the ECU, designed around SE upgrades. You might want to consider either a Race Tuner, Power Commander, or one of the other ECU upgrades. Which one is a whole different topic, if you are considering a dyno tune then you should find a good tuner first and go with what they are most confortable with. If you don't plan on making anyother changes, there are canned maps for both that can be downloaded that might get you close. 

quickster

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:52:58 AM »

thanks for the reply. The guy I bought it from didn't have a clue to what was done prior, and never looked to see if it had a race tuner. He thought the Reinhart's were the stock pipes. I haven't had the time to look under the covers yet, too busy. I have a good tuner lined up; he's on vacation till Monday. Am I going to have probs with the M&M  fuel injection?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »

Before any tuning if you have the opportunity have the bike checked for a specific map load.  The M&M bikes then had a wandering/rough idle problem.  It would come and go.  It was an issue with the OE map and was fixed under recall with a new map load.

If yours needs this you'd want that map in it before tuning any tuning over it.

As for Power Commander or Race Tuner; normally I always say no religion, just use whatever your best local tuner is most comfortable with.  Have been told by three different folks experienced with the workings of each that the Power Commander is a better tool for Marelli ignitions than is the SERT.  Apparently allows some control that the SERT does not.  Having said that, if you've got an excellent tuner in your area that only does one his option would still be my choice.

quickster

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »

thank for the input.  I'm definitly going to tell him about that fix you mentioned; to take care of that before he set's the bike up. I'll post an update  next week when I get the bike out of the shop. I'm glad I found this site! thanks again! :2vrolijk_21:

Dash Riprock

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 SERG Black & Charcoal (sold) Regular ol' Ultra Classic (Sold) 2003 FLSTSI Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 10:17:20 PM »

Went through a period with the 2001 SERG I bought earlier this year....had hot/cold idle adjusted, checked for the ECM flash download to confirm it was done, replaced idle speed motor and oxygen sensor and the intake gasket. Runs MUCH better now....idle holds pretty good.

Good luck.....it's a very nice ride once you get the M&M to behave.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.