Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on hauling a Motorcycle Hauler behind an RV  (Read 4127 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Advice on hauling a Motorcycle Hauler behind an RV
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:52:18 AM »

So, i think i am getting the best of both worlds.  i want to go to Sturgis but taking two weeks off when i have 4 kids is a bit tough - sooooo - wife says that if i go to sturgis, why dont we rent an RV next year (which we have been talking about anyway) and take 4 weeks off and cruise around the western US.  then the thought was that if we were going to do that, why not rent an RV and haul a trailer behind it to carry my scooter. That way, i could ride while she drives the RV and i would have a place to store it at night and haul it on the days that she doesnt want to drive the RV or i dont want to ride.  Put on top of that, that she has agreed to go to Sturgis as one of our stops for 4 days (Aug 1 -4) for which i have already made a reservation at the KOA in Rapid City.  So my question is

1. any tips for those who have done a long RV trip with family hauling a toy hauler/trailer/hauler.
this would be a first for us so any tips would be appreciated!!

i figured we could get a babysitter one day at the KOA and my wife and i could cruise around and go to Sturgis or i could take one of my kids.

any experieced help would be appreciated.  We just rented the RV and i have a trailer in good condition from a friend so i think we are all set. Now i just to need to get my head around all the stuff we will need to do to get ready for such a trip

best

Free

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Re: Advice on hauling a Motorcycle Hauler behind an RV
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:37:12 AM »

WOW !  4 kids in a rented RV while dad is cruising along on his motorcycle...........
Sounds like a divorce to me.  LOL  Or something you could make a movie out of....of wait, they already did that.

Seriously, if there is a way to be serious here, the closest I came to this sceneraio was a few years back, we took a family vacation from TX to AZ so i could drop off my bike at SBC to have a stroker motor built. After dropping it off, we headed to the Grand Canyon for a few days of R&R.  Worked out OK, but during the time we were dropping off, picking up, test driving, bullchitting, etc, the family was pretty bored, plus the temp was 118, plus the stroker motor cost way more than the vacation itself.  Don't know what age your kids are, but if they can get some seat time in, it might help everyone out. Hope your wife is VERY understanding.
Good luck.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:35 AM »

Thats a lot of stuff moving down the road , but what the heck. My only advise is Sturgis is an adult gathering not suited for kids. The event is also spread out over 25 miles or so not just the town of Sturgis. My thought would be take the wife and leave the kids if at all possable.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »

Having hauled 3 kids around most of western North America in a motor home for the better part of a decade, all I can say is you must  plan some activities for them. While Sturgis is an adult venue there's lots of things for families/kids to do in the Black Hills. Take 'em down to Jewel Caves, Flintstone Park, Gulches of Fun etc.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:04:25 AM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

Thats a lot of stuff moving down the road , but what the heck. My only advise is Sturgis is an adult gathering not suited for kids. The event is also spread out over 25 miles or so not just the town of Sturgis. My thought would be take the wife and leave the kids if at all possable.

Sturgis 2009     Aug 3-9

Any motorcycle rally is only as bad as the events that you attend. If you don't want your 10 year old son around naked 19 year old girls....then don't take them to that event.  IE...Hulet on Wednesday

The roads, national monuments, state parks.etc....are beautiful places to take your entire family. The dates you mentioned..Aug 1-4  should see an increase in bike traffic....but since your family is used to your bike, they would probably think it is cool :2vrolijk_21:

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »

Sturgis 2009     Aug 3-9

Any motorcycle rally is only as bad as the events that you attend. If you don't want your 10 year old son around naked 19 year old girls....then don't take them to that event.  IE...Hulet on Wednesday

The roads, national monuments, state parks.etc....are beautiful places to take your entire family. The dates you mentioned..Aug 1-4  should see an increase in bike traffic....but since your family is used to your bike, they would probably think it is cool :2vrolijk_21:

You are absolutely right , I was being a bit cautious about young ones down town. There is a lot for all in the surrounding area . Mt Rushmore , and the Jewel caves are both awesome.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 12:36:02 PM »

Free, we had friends that did that a few years back. It was one of the best family vacations that they have had. Kids took turns with dad on the bike. He took each one through downtown for the experience on the bike, mom was on the sidewalk taking pictures of them waving to everyone.
 If your son is on your bike and sees a little T&A well that will be a father son memory for many years. Enjoy the trip and all the history that you are going to see and do.

Hope you can make it up to the NW GTG next July in Hood River.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »

Free, we had friends that did that a few years back. It was one of the best family vacations that they have had. Kids took turns with dad on the bike. He took each one through downtown for the experience on the bike, mom was on the sidewalk taking pictures of them waving to everyone.
 If your son is on your bike and sees a little T&A well that will be a father son memory for many years. Enjoy the trip and all the history that you are going to see and do.

Hope you can make it up to the NW GTG next July in Hood River.

yeah, i think it will be okay for my son to see a little of the craziness.  The fact that my wife came up with the idea of a RV trip and Sturgis all at the same time is a pretty big win for me :)

Free

hossdog

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »

I would leave today before she changes her mind. :vrolijk_30:
Jesus loves bikers too !

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

I would leave today before she changes her mind. :vrolijk_30:

YEA WHAT HE SAID!!!! We all know how they like to change thier minds!!!!!!

Sounds like a great vacation.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:19:39 AM »

Noth that it is the subject ... but someone in my town had one of these on his RV...looked really cool!

Can still tow a car as a dink and have the bike...best of both worlds...

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 07:01:44 AM »

Noth that it is the subject ... but someone in my town had one of these on his RV...looked really cool!

Those are pretty cool. We talked to a guy with that same set-up during a gas stop on our trip to Montana this summer. He really liked it. Said it would be perfect if you didn't have to unhook the dinghy first. Lifes really tough. ::)
Don't you just love it though, we take vacations to get away from it all, but we wind up taking everything with us.   ;D
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 08:54:27 AM »

Does anyone think you could put one of those lifts on the back of a toyota sequoia,,, The new sequoia has 1000lb hitch weight and will tow 10,000lb------Ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 11:21:46 AM »

Bill - that is a real interesting option.
if i find someone who might want to ride with me for some of the trip, having a trailer would nice. But as you say, being able to tow a car would be ideal with all the kid activities.  Well, anyway, i got the wife, RV and Sturgis all in a happy place right now so i am glowing in that. need to figure out the details over the next several months.  Whats even better is that when my wife "negotiated" to have the 3rd kid, i got one week per year for a buddy trip which i have been doing now for 6 or 7 years.  Since this trip is a family vacation, i still get the one week with the Buddies!!!!
so, Sturgis, RV, motorcycle and a week with Buddies --- WHO DA MAN :) :) :)

best

Free

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 25 queries.