Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended Warranty (Service Contract) Providers  (Read 1260 times)

lv2ride56

• Junior CVO Member
Extended Warranty (Service Contract) Providers
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »

Are there any other providers of extended warranty programs other than the H-D plan through Continental Service Provider?
Starting to hear lots of horror stories from people with that plan?
Patriot Guard Rider

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Extended Warranty (Service Contract) Providers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »

There may be third party providers like there are for auto service contracts.  Problem my business partner had with his xtd auto warranty is getting caught in a pizzing contest with the dealer.  Dealer naturally favors their own contract and may not accept assignment for a third party provider which means you pay and then seek reimbursement from your contract provider.  Worse yet is lack of communication to get warranty approved.  Dealer has no incentive to cooperate and contact provider for authorization.  IMO just way, way too big a hassle to consider on an h-d.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »

Dealer has no incentive to cooperate and contact provider for authorization.  IMO just way, way too big a hassle to consider on an h-d.

As arrogant and air-headed as dealership service departments can be I'd hate to think of some of them having to do anything outside the norm.  Even to get paid.  Though it's hard to understand a dealership (auto) or otherwise thinking they had no incentive to make the call to a warranty provider.  The incentive is getting paid for the work.  Why do they care who is paying the bill; only that it gets paid.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »

In 06 when I bought my SE from Dudly Perkins in SF they offered me the choice of the HD plan or another plan.  It was an intersting comparison in that the HD plan covers the MC end to end, but there is some question as to what is covered if there are modifications made tot he MC, like exhaust & engine work.  The other plan specifically stated that engine work was covered as long as it was performed by a HD Dealer.  But, it did not cover the MC end to end , it had exclusions, one specifically was the radio system.  It did not cover any component of the radio system.

The HD warranty was about $400 more than the other but also had the tire & wheel coverage.

The final issue was the question of HD Dealers accepting the other warranty or would you have to pay first & then collect from the warranty company.

I took the HD warranty.  I have use it once, that one time was worth 1/3 of the warranty cost.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »

Even with the "factory" offered EXP, the work has to be pre approved with the underwriter CNA national warrany.  They have to follow what the insurance company will pay for (not what is actually needed), just like health care coverage.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:28:28 PM »

As arrogant and air-headed as dealership service departments can be I'd hate to think of some of them having to do anything outside the norm.  Even to get paid.  Though it's hard to understand a dealership (auto) or otherwise thinking they had no incentive to make the call to a warranty provider.  The incentive is getting paid for the work.  Why do they care who is paying the bill; only that it gets paid.

The difference Don is that the dealer didn't sell the plan to you while making a fat commission like he does on the H-D plan, so many of these business geniuses take the nearsighted view and blow you off.  They can't blow you off with the H-D plan, but with an independent plan if they want to be jerks (and who among us hasn't run into several Harley establishments that just love to be jerkish?) they could just tell the customer to pay the bill and take up reimbursement directly with the service plan folks.  As someone else noted, it's a similar situation to taking your medical or dental plan to a non-participating doctor or dentist.  Some will still submit your claims for you but won't accept the negotiated prices, while others won't even submit the claims for you. 

As for getting paid for the work, most states have a little thing called a mechanic's lien that assures them of getting paid if you ever want to see your bike again.  Once you hand the bike over and sign the authorization on the work order, they've got you.  You want your bike back?  Pay up, and we'll be happy to hand over the keys and even roll it outside for you. 

Before purchasing any service agreement the potential consumer needs to get answers to important questions like who are the participating repair establishments in your area, what do I do when traveling outside my area, do you pay full retail prices for repairs by non-participating establishments, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 01:36:51 AM »

The difference Don is that the dealer didn't sell the plan to you while making a fat commission like he does on the H-D plan, so many of these business geniuses take the nearsighted view and blow you off.  They can't blow you off with the H-D plan, but with an independent plan if they want to be jerks (and who among us hasn't run into several Harley establishments that just love to be jerkish?) they could just tell the customer to pay the bill and take up reimbursement directly with the service plan folks.  As someone else noted, it's a similar situation to taking your medical or dental plan to a non-participating doctor or dentist.  Some will still submit your claims for you but won't accept the negotiated prices, while others won't even submit the claims for you. 

As for getting paid for the work, most states have a little thing called a mechanic's lien that assures them of getting paid if you ever want to see your bike again.  Once you hand the bike over and sign the authorization on the work order, they've got you.  You want your bike back?  Pay up, and we'll be happy to hand over the keys and even roll it outside for you. 

Before purchasing any service agreement the potential consumer needs to get answers to important questions like who are the participating repair establishments in your area, what do I do when traveling outside my area, do you pay full retail prices for repairs by non-participating establishments, etc.

Jerry

It's easy enough having watched those dynamics in action to understand their rationalization Jerry.  Still leaves common sense shaking its head in wonderment though.  Whether the contractor is paying for some part of or all of the job or the consumer is the shop still gets paid.

I've been fortunate that the extended warranty provider for vehicles hasn't given a dealership or repair shop apoplexy.  The few times it's been used the shops didn't care who paid them.  The small out of pocket is spelled out and everyone is informed and happy.

Dealing with my own collections I wouldn't care if payment came from a three legged penguin wearing a pink tutu and with an ass that looked like Dood's face.  Just so long as the payment came and was in some instrument fungible and transferrable.  God save us from the insecure minds at the sharp ends of the dealerships that have to make simple things difficult.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.