Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West Virginia Garden Snake  (Read 2441 times)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
West Virginia Garden Snake
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:04:26 PM »

Just figured out why them ol' boys in West "By God" Virginny are tougher than an old boot.  How would you like  to have this baby, at 8+ feet and 50 pounds crawling around in your collard patch.  Smile, Hubbard...everything is either bigger or faster in WV!  (Caught in Morgantown, WV)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 12:05:54 PM by BLM777 »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: West Virginia Garden Snake
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:38:02 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, BLM777,
 Man, that's a dam big snake!  Governor Joe Manchin, Senators Byrd, and Rockefeller, evolved from that very species of reptile.  Those three are constictors of the first order!  While I do not cotton to Darwin's theory of evolution, I do question if those three were spawned by Humans.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 05:12:53 PM »

Don't mean to get in no pizzin contest here.......but they're just a tad bigger in Sacramento.  This is a Bermise Python at 15 feet and over two hundred pounds.  

An 18 year old girl was sitting at a desk in a relatives whearhouse when she felt something warm and smooth brush up against her foot.  You can imagine the look on her face when she looked under the desk and saw the head of a snake that was as large as her own head, laying there next to her foot. [smiley=nervous.gif]  Here's the story.  While they didn't show a picture of the actual snake in question, they show the owner with another of his snakes.

x - close Recent Stories By Erika Chavez

Skip Jackson gets cozy Tuesday with Mr. P, an 8-foot-long Burmese python. Another pet, 15-foot python Miss Hiss, gave a woman a scare Sunday when she stumbled upon it at work.

Sacramento Bee/Randy Pench  

Case solved: Python's a wily pet
By Erika Chavez -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign up here.

Mystery solved: Miss Hiss belongs to the neighborhood nudist.
The 15-foot-long Burmese python discovered in a Sacramento warehouse Sunday night is the 15-year companion to Skip Jackson, a plastics fabricator known as much for his nudity as for his affinity for reptiles.

Jackson, 52, lives and works in an industrial building down the street from the warehouse where an 18-year-old woman stumbled upon his python. Miss Hiss, he said, escaped sometime last week when he unknowingly poked a hole in its cage with a forklift.

The python slithered to freedom and turned up at Arnold Morairty's warehouse, just down the road. Morairty's granddaughter Melody Martinez found the snake while she was cleaning. Officers from Sacramento County's Animal Care and Regulation department corralled Miss Hiss in a garbage can before taking it to the Sacramento Zoo, where it's being held in quarantine.
A lifelong reptile lover, Jackson takes in castoffs from owners who become overwhelmed by their pets' size. His current stock includes two other Burmese pythons and a boa constrictor.

"Most people can't handle them when they get that big," Jackson said. "They get scary, so they just let them go into the street or the sewer."

Miss Hiss - at 15 feet long, 200 pounds and roughly the girth of an adult thigh - has gotten loose two other times in 15 years, Jackson said.

"Snakes are escape artists. If they can find a way to escape, they will," he said.

Some of Morairty's employees suspected the reptile belonged to Jackson. Morairty said he gets along fine with his neighbor, despite Jackson's habit of walking around with the reptiles wrapped around his shoulders and, occasionally, working in the nude.

"They say the difference between eccentric and crazy is how much money you make," Jackson said. "So I guess that makes me crazy."

There are rules for keeping such exotic pets, though there are no sanctions for allowing a pet snake to get loose, said Pat Claerbout, director of animal care for Sacramento County.

In Sacramento County, any owner with a snake that is venomous or more than 8 feet long must get a permit (Burmese pythons are not venomous). An owner can be fined for not getting a necessary permit after several warnings, she said.

Miss Hiss' damaged cage will also have to be repaired and inspected before Jackson can be reunited with the reptile, and he'll have to get a permit, Claerbout said.

The county also will ask Jackson to reimburse the cost of retrieving, transporting and boarding the snake, Claerbout said.

Reptile remorse is common among well-meaning pet owners, said Christopher Hussey, rescue and adoption coordinator for the Northern California Herpetological Society.

"We get hundreds of phone calls a month from people with reptiles that got big," Hussey said. The nonprofit group tries to find adoptive homes for as many large iguanas, Colombian red tail boas and Burmese pythons as possible, but cannot handle every plea for help.

The culprit: misinformation and misguided notions, he said.

"Pet stores carry pythons because they can get them cheap, and don't tell customers it can become a 300-pound snake," Hussey said.

Owners make things worse by "power-feeding" the snakes as entertainment for friends.

"That increases their metabolism and they grow at a rapid rate," Hussey said. "They don't grow that fast out in the wild."

Miss Hiss eats four rabbits a month and lives in a climate-controlled, 8-foot-by-4-foot cage, Jackson said.

On occasion, Jackson lets her loose in a field next to his warehouse, so she can slither in the grass under his supervision.

"She's tame, not real aggressive," Jackson said. "The only time she gets aggressive is when she's hungry. Then I know it's time to feed her."

Jackson has always been fascinated with snakes and finds them beautiful.

"They don't fetch, they don't come when they're called, but I think they're cool," he said.

Miss Hiss can rise 3 feet off the ground with no support, and can climb a 6-foot wall, Jackson said.

Burmese pythons are all muscle and "incredibly strong," Hussey said, and need to be handled with care.

"With that kind of muscle, they can push up the lid to almost any tank," he said. "I have seen a Burmese push a door off its hinges."

Though they are not particularly dangerous to humans, they might bite, Hussey said. Any reptiles released in Sacramento would die when the weather turns cold, he said.

Prospective reptile owners need to educate themselves, Hussey said.

Claerbout agreed, bemoaning the many exotic pets given up or abandoned by overwhelmed owners.

Potbellied pigs are always in healthy supply at the county shelter, she said. Last month, someone left a bearded dragon in the night drop box with a note explaining they could no longer care for him.

"People just should not take these animals on if they're not prepared to care for them," she said.

For more information, visit the Northern California Herpetological Society's Web site at www.norcalherp.com.

Here's a picture of the owner, holding one of his smaller snakes.  This one looks like a brother to the one from Virginia. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 05:19:11 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 05:56:04 PM »

Just figured out why them ol' boys in West "By God" Virginny are tougher than an old boot.  How would you like  to have this baby, at 8+ feet and 50 pounds crawling around in your collard patch.  Smile, Hubbard...everything is either bigger or faster in WV!  (Caught in Morgantown, WV)

I'm not sure but  looks like a timber rattler to me. A very large one!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 07:01:34 PM »

I'm not sure but  looks like a timber rattler to me. A very large one!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Sure does to me also....and it sure as hell isn't a pet!

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 11:17:05 PM »

Don't mean to get in no pizzin contest here.......but they're just a tad bigger in Sacramento.  This is a Bermise Python at 15 feet and over two hundred pounds.  

An 18 year old girl was sitting at a desk in a relatives whearhouse when she felt something warm and smooth brush up against her foot.  You can imagine the look on her face when she looked under the desk and saw the head of a snake that was as large as her own head, laying there next to her foot. [smiley=nervous.gif]  Here's the story.  While they didn't show a picture of the actual snake in question, they show the owner with another of his snakes.  

JCZ don't want no pizzin contest here but there is A  difference between A lost pet and A timber rattler that one bite from A big one and be dead in 7 mins. I moved from the city
where I was born and raised and bought A old farm where it is possible to run up on one of these at any time that of  which I have. With in 50 miles of my house the TV show guy crocadile hunter came here to do A show in the Blue ridge  mountians got in A rattle snake den so big he used what little film footage he had for the show and said he  was'nt comming back.

OTIS [smiley=nervous.gif]

Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 11:33:56 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, BLM777,
 One of my employees told OTIS and I tonight that they did not kill this snake, either.  They turned it back into the wild, on a Surface Mine in Kanawha County, WV!  It should feel more at home there, as that's where the Capital is! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 07:07:26 AM »

We have some BIG eastern diamondbacks down here in Florida too...and a lot of them!  Oh, and BIG gators too!  Check out this link to photos of some critters that were encountered by Florida Power and Light employees while working at Orlando Airport.  How would you like to crawl up into that culvert?!

http://community-2.webtv.net/karenlprince/AMUSTSEE/
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 07:19:37 AM »

Just a reminder to always have a back-up revolver loaded with 'snake shot' rounds for those 'narrow-faces'.......(and any other such critters that might wanna cause you harm)  Har!   [smiley=rifle.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 07:39:06 AM »

W. Va., big snake, Texas, big snake, Fla., lots of snakes an big gator. The Amazon - forget about it. BTW - they cut this sucker open and it's to gross for a family site.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 09:49:49 AM »

JCZ don't want no pizzin contest here but there is A  difference between A lost pet and A timber rattler that one bite from A big one and be dead in 7 mins. I moved from the city
where I was born and raised and bought A old farm where it is possible to run up on one of these at any time that of  which I have. With in 50 miles of my house the TV show guy crocadile hunter came here to do A show in the Blue ridge  mountians got in A rattle snake den so big he used what little film footage he had for the show and said he  was'nt comming back.

OTIS [smiley=nervous.gif

Otis, you're absolutely right, a timber rattler would be more dangerous (in my opnion.....but then the picture just above shows that may not be true) than a Bermise Python.  And, like you quoted me, it's not a pizzin contest.  I never read anywhere in the article that it was a timbere rattler (just opnions here)and they get huge, we have them too.

But all that still doesn't negate the fear that the girl felt when she looked down under the desk and found the Python nuzzled up against her foot........and that's what was funny. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  I'm sorry that you missed my point.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 04:56:07 PM »

The Burmese Python's are among the largest reptiles that an individual can legally own, which make them "cool" in and of itself.  I adopted one in Florida when we lived down there that eventually tipped the scales at 17' and 235#'s.   (talk about funny when the religio-fruits come knockin' at the door and he's out and cruisin' around the living room floor!)  Getting rid of him when I got orders for Britain was an absolute nightmare.  Even the zoo wouldn't take him, because they already had one, (why would they need two?)  We eventually "gave" him to the local Army Ranger camp, which cost me in the long run because they took the enclosure too...

Anyway, yes, I can vouch from personal experience that tangling with a snake of this size can be a frightening, if not fatal, mistake if things go badly. (Which they seldom do, simply becuase they aree programmed eaters, and we aren't food...) Mine freaked out one time and thought my knee was food, and it was quite the set to before we had him back in the cage and my with an elevated leg for a few days...  But no where near as ugly as dealing with a rattlesnake of any size, because they will attack out of aggression of self defense, which a constrictor won't do.  I think I would draw the line at owning something venomous... period.  Don't even find a lot of joy in watching them in the wild anymore.  

The real end is,  you bet that's funny.  No danger involved and HUGE amount of shock value!  Not to mention the nekkid feller chasin' him!  Yikes!  [smiley=nervous.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 08:39:46 AM »

We have some BIG eastern diamondbacks down here in Florida too...and a lot of them!  Oh, and BIG gators too!  Check out this link to photos of some critters that were encountered by Florida Power and Light employees while working at Orlando Airport.  How would you like to crawl up into that culvert?!

http://community-2.webtv.net/karenlprince/AMUSTSEE/

HOLY CHIT..TallyKing...That culvert shot really gives me something to think about on my next quail hunt!  Guess if I had seen that last year I wouldn't have been able to  hit anything.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 09:15:05 AM »

HOLY CHIT..TallyKing...That culvert shot really gives me something to think about on my next quail hunt!  Guess if I had seen that last year I wouldn't have been able to  hit anything.

Yeah, that looks like something out of one of those larger than life crocodile movies doesn't it?  My brother lives in Brandon, and he said that gator and all of those ratttlesnakes were the talk of the town down down that way for awhile.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.