Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel range function  (Read 1891 times)

guentherb

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE Black
    • CVO2: 02 FLSTFI Black
Fuel range function
« on: July 05, 2008, 12:10:52 PM »

I said earlier that I took my bike by the dealership and they did the quick diagnostics test with my indicators.  Well now my fuel range function is gone.  Tired of going back to the shop, anyone know how to get this back on.
Thanks guys.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
Re: Fuel range function
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 08:00:24 PM »

There have been a lot of problems with speedo.  They should order you a new one and it takes 15 min. to put it on.
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »

my Fuel range function is way off and so is my tach...my dealer just replaced my fuel filter shell..I wonder if it could be as simple as some crimped wires...any thoughts?
Dean

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:21:39 AM »

fuel range is calculated constantly based on your speed and therefore can/will change all the times.  How did you check the tach? A 110 motor in 6th gear at 3000 rpm should run about 78-80 mph.

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »

Well when idling I'd be between 0 and 500, and at cruising speed when I'm normally at 3000, it is now at 1800-2000. But then it'll be fine, so I don't know.

I do know that fuel range function can vary, but it usually will show up at about 200 miles when filling up from empty and I do top it off at or above the neck. NOW, it's shows 150 +/- when filling up on empty. ALSO, they did just take my tank panel off for the fuel shell recall...I wonder if it could be a crimped wire when they put the panel back..is that possible?
Dean

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »

The fuel range function should show up (blinking) when it's 50 or less (I believe that's the number, it is noted in your owner's manual) so if it's showing up in speedo and telling you 60 for example, then you do have a problem with speedo.  It doesn't matter if you top off the tank or not,  it is calculated based on the fuel left in the tank and current consumption.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »

i dont have this function on my 07 fxstsse, does anybody know if can be installed?

the 7led lamps indicator gauge is so unreliable, i ran out of juice once on my last trip to england, got boxed in traffic and missed the exit from the highway to the gas station i wanted, tis good i carry a spare 1litre can in my luggage

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »

The fuel range function should show up (blinking) when it's 50 or less (I believe that's the number, it is noted in your owner's manual) so if it's showing up in speedo and telling you 60 for example, then you do have a problem with speedo.  It doesn't matter if you top off the tank or not,  it is calculated based on the fuel left in the tank and current consumption.

Are you sur about the blinking at 50 or less?  Mine does not do that.  It just counts down until it gets to 10 miles left.  Below that it switches to read "Lo".

Also, it can not be loaded onto '07s according to what I've been told.  I'd love to gave it on my wife's Street Bob, but no luck.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »

I'll confirm that when I get to my manual tonight  :nixweiss:.  I thought it is a function that can be disables by owner.
Let me read the book again and I'll get back to you (too many uncertainties).

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »

Are you sur about the blinking at 50 or less?  Mine does not do that.  It just counts down until it gets to 10 miles left.  Below that it switches to read "Lo".

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Her it is from SE4 owner's manual (page 37):

Fuel Range Function

The fuel range function shows the approximate mileage available with the
amount of fuel left in the fuel tank.

1.  With the ignition switch .......

2.  When the low fuel warning lamp illuminates, the range feature will
          automatically be displayed in the odometer unless this automatic
          pop-up feature is disabled
by a press and hold of the function
          switch while in range display mode.  Automatic range pop-up feature
          will show that it is disabled by blinking twice.  Likewise, automatic range
          pop-up can be reactivated by a press and hold of the function switch. 
          Range will blink once when the automatic pop-up feature is re-enabled. 
          When the low fuel warning lamp turns on, there is approximately 1 gallon
          of fuel
remaining in the tank.

3.  After the range calculation reaches 10 miles remaining, the range display
           will show "r Lo" to indicate that the vehicle will shortly run out of fuel.

4.  The range display is only updated when the vehicle is moving 10 mph.

----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it toke so long, had hard time finding the manual.

hunter

skyman

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »

Hummmm---does my 06 SE Ultra have this function?? :nixweiss:

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »

Sorry Skyman... That was a new feature on the '08s.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »

Took my FLHRSE4 in the shop yesterday for my 15K, putting the Metzelers on and I am having them check my Tach/fuel range problem with inaccuracies..when one works the other doesn't. The problem immediatlely occured the day I brought it back from the fuel filter shell recall fix in July. I just talked with my dealer, they are trying to figure it out..they asked me how long my speedo has been out also, I said never it's always worked fine...will keep everyone posted.
Dean

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »

Took my FLHRSE4 in the shop yesterday for my 15K, putting the Metzelers on and I am having them check my Tach/fuel range problem with inaccuracies..when one works the other doesn't. The problem immediatlely occured the day I brought it back from the fuel filter shell recall fix in July. I just talked with my dealer, they are trying to figure it out..they asked me how long my speedo has been out also, I said never it's always worked fine...will keep everyone posted.
Dean

Thats when my went out and the dealer has been scratching his rear since. They have replaced everything but the speedo at this point, so i have a haunch that is the problem. For some reason the dealer is trying to avoid ordering up a speedo for replacement. He keeps saying they have another sending unit ordered which they have already replaced once. It would be kind of nice to have this option working as it should.

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 01:01:19 PM »

Funny (but not really), I called to see how they were doing and the tech asked me how long my speedo has been out. I told him never it always worked perfect, even have a GPS to vaidate accuracy. Tech said "well it's not working now" :(
Dean

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.