Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cam cover and lifter cover threads  (Read 1356 times)

Wildrat

Cam cover and lifter cover threads
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »

I am trying to find what thread these bolts are. I have searched for the info here and on the net and can not come up with a definitive answer. I would guess 20 threads/inch but guessing is not good for anything but problems.
I know the cam cover bolt is 1/4"-? X 1.25"  and the lifter cover bolt is 1/4"-? X 1" if some one knows the answer to this I would really appreciate it. You would think it was some kind of state secret with the thread count. I think I will go rest my back now.

P.S. I got the tools from Georges today. Very nice tools and the price is great compared to those "We care about you people".

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Cam cover and lifter cover threads
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »

I am trying to find what thread these bolts are. I have searched for the info here and on the net and can not come up with a definitive answer. I would guess 20 threads/inch but guessing is not good for anything but problems.
I know the cam cover bolt is 1/4"-? X 1.25"  and the lifter cover bolt is 1/4"-? X 1" if some one knows the answer to this I would really appreciate it. You would think it was some kind of state secret with the thread count. I think I will go rest my back now.

P.S. I got the tools from Georges today. Very nice tools and the price is great compared to those "We care about you people".

Cam Cover 1/4-20 x 1-1/4 knurled head, w/lockpatch Grade 8
Lifter Cover 1/4-20 x 1 socket head w/lockpatch.

It is no secret. All stock parts are shown in the separate CVO Parts Catalog for each CVO model. You should have all the CVO Supplements for your bike. Especially if you're doing all this work yourself. JMO. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Wildrat

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »

I have the manuals that I bought when I got the bike. 1)Service Manual 2) Electrical manual 3) The part number book.
The only book I did not look at was the part number book. I left that to my wife because I'm a bit tired. She may not have known what I was on about. Is it in the P/N book?
The only other book I have is the little manual that comes with the bike and I know it's not there.
Thanks Hoist! Let me know though, I guess I can go look at it in the morning which ever comes first.
The reason I am asking these questions on the bolts is because if you go to Summit Racing you can get these bolts for a lot less. Of course you have to find them but that is not hard. Just type ARP in their search engine and scroll thru the pages. For instance the Polished SS exhaust flange studs are the same as carb studs, 5/16-18/24 X 1.7" $18.95 comes with washer and hex nut, if you want 12 pt Polished nut they are 4 something each, but you can get a bag of 10 ARP black oxcide 5/16-24 12 pts nuts for $15.88.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 11:11:36 PM »

I have the manuals that I bought when I got the bike. 1)Service Manual 2) Electrical manual 3) The part number book.
The only book I did not look at was the part number book. I left that to my wife because I'm a bit tired. She may not have known what I was on about. Is it in the P/N book?
The only other book I have is the little manual that comes with the bike and I know it's not there.
Thanks Hoist! Let me know though, I guess I can go look at it in the morning which ever comes first.
The reason I am asking these questions on the bolts is because if you go to Summit Racing you can get these bolts for a lot less. Of course you have to find them but that is not hard. Just type ARP in their search engine and scroll thru the pages. For instance the Polished SS exhaust flange studs are the same as carb studs, 5/16-18/24 X 1.7" $18.95 comes with washer and hex nut, if you want 12 pt Polished nut they are 4 something each, but you can get a bag of 10 ARP black oxcide 5/16-24 12 pts nuts for $15.88.

In the Parts Manual, all the individual part assemblies exploded views, and associated P/N's, are shown on each page. In the back is a Hardware List where you can look up every nut and bolt by P/N. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Wildrat

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:24:43 PM »

Thanks Hoist! I should of went and looked for myself hours ago when I asked the wife. You would think with all the engine building and other things I used to get into that she would know what I am talking about by now. I guess I should just be glad she has her own bike and likes it. After all she gives me something to do during the week, month,year. ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:26:17 PM »

Thanks Hoist! I should of went and looked for myself hours ago when I asked the wife. You would think with all the engine building and other things I used to get into that she would know what I am talking about by now. I guess I should just be glad she has her own bike and likes it. After all she gives me something to do during the week, month,year. ;D

HeHe! Well, when she doesn't know where to look, ya always got us!!! ;D ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »

Cam Cover 1/4-20 x 1-1/4 knurled head, w/lockpatch Grade 8
Lifter Cover 1/4-20 x 1 socket head w/lockpatch.

It is no secret. All stock parts are shown in the separate CVO Parts Catalog for each CVO model. You should have all the CVO Supplements for your bike. Especially if you're doing all this work yourself. JMO. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Heck, if you think that's simple, the old shovelheads used 1/4"x24 on the lifter blocks and the oil pump bolts/nuts.  Try to find them in your local hardware or even Summit.  All I can say is don't strip out one of those as you'll never find a Heli-Coil to fit them.  My '76 FLH uses them.  I had a hard time finding Allen head replacements at any dealership, I had to order them from an aftermarket to get them.

I think that was the thread on these parts for decades until the early '08s.  Leave it HD to have some special to deal with.

I'm sure there are "other" locations over the years that HD has done this.

Good luck to Wildrat on his project.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Wildrat

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »

While going thru the pages of polished hardware at Summit. I did see 1/4-24 bolts polished 12pt. I did not writ anything down though since I was looking for 20t/i bolts. I know my bike does have a couple 24t/i bolts so if I get that far I will try to remember to post what I find. There is 560 pages of ARP hardware on Summit Racing's site.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »

Strictly in the FWIW category the Fastenal website has an easy to use bolt identifier that allows searching by head type, finish, pitch, etc etc etc.  Though almost certainly they'll just have USS and SAE sizes for your 1/4" hardware.  1/4 x 24 is an uncommon little beast.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.