Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luggage rack w/detachable side plates on an 08 FLHRSE  (Read 2964 times)

RoadKingHog

• Black Diamond/Silver Dust
  • Junior CVO Member
  • May the sun shine ahead, and the wind at your back

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertible
Luggage rack w/detachable side plates on an 08 FLHRSE
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »

:confused5: Has anyone rigged a luggage rack with detachable (Harley or aftermarket) side plates with a higher sissy bar/backrest than stock passenger backrest on an 08 FLHRSE??  (I've replaced the stock seat with a solo seat.)  The stock passenger rider backrest is too low to support and stabilize my luggage bag.

thanks,
DS
2008 Road King SE
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
TTS Tuner
CC Seats solo seat
Progressive 940 Rear Shocks
Motolights
Kuryakyn Floorboard Relocator Brackets
Heel Guard

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Luggage rack w/detachable side plates on an 08 FLHRSE
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:40:30 AM »

Like this? Kept the backrest and replaced the pad w/ a larger one.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 12:42:21 AM »

Or this?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:43:16 AM »

I'm not entirely sure I get what you are asking, but I'll give it a shot.  HD makes a rack that mounts to a taller passenger backrest upright.  I have the "tall" detachable backrest on my SERK and added the rack to it.  It is semi-permanent in that four screws and it comes off.  Both go on the bike as a unit.  The large bag I have can go either on the passenger seat or behind it on the rack.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

RoadKingHog

• Black Diamond/Silver Dust
  • Junior CVO Member
  • May the sun shine ahead, and the wind at your back

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertible
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »

Thanks Gecko,  good photos.  You describe what I'm trying to accomplish - similar to your first photo.  On my FLSTC the luggage rack is attached to the passenger backrest/sissy bar (not on detachable side plates) but it bolts on/off as one unit.

On the FLHRSE the "stock" passenger sissy bar & backrest are the "short" style with small backrest.  Assuming I find a compatible luggage rack, the backrest is not tall enough stablize the luggage bag - pad too small and too low.  What I'm hoping to discover is a combination luggage rack and replacement sissy bar/backrest compatible to the docking points on the FLHRSE so I can install and remove the luggage rack/backrest as one unit fairly quickly and not leave a bunch of added mounting hardware on the fender (it defeats the purpose of replacing the original seat with a solo seat to streamline the rear fender.)

I'll show your photo to the talking heads at the Harley shop.  The "detachable two-up" luggage rack (E) on page 391 of the Accessories catalog may work.  It's listed as compatible with the FLHRC; maybe??

thank,
DS
2008 Road King SE
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
TTS Tuner
CC Seats solo seat
Progressive 940 Rear Shocks
Motolights
Kuryakyn Floorboard Relocator Brackets
Heel Guard

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 08:10:10 AM »

The photos weren't from me.  Here is what I used.  Since the stock passenger backrest was too low anyway I got 52723-06 tall sissy bar upright.  Then 53011-98 Luggage rack for detachable passenger sissy bar upright.  The rack clamps to the upright and both come off as a unit using the stock mounting points on the fender.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »

Why not just use rear docking mounts and the detachable luggage rack? You can use the same mounts for a TP then if ya ever wanted to also. And the rack is easily removeable that way. That detachable rack will also handle more weight than the sissy bar mounted rack. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.