Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 FLHRSE4 starting issues  (Read 813 times)

VOICEOFAUTHORITY

08 FLHRSE4 starting issues
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »

ever since I had the gasket recall done on my bike I have had problems with starting the bike. I have taken it to the dealer several times and they say they can't duplicate the problem. I believe one time they changed the starter gear and another the acr's. they also said my battery was a little low, so i bought a battery tender. It does seem to start a litlle easier now, but I am wiery of taking it on long trips. any suggestions new battery, upgraded starter, etc? I have a trip planned a three weeks and want to insure I get home on my bike.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: 08 FLHRSE4 starting issues
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »

ever since I had the gasket recall done on my bike I have had problems with starting the bike. I have taken it to the dealer several times and they say they can't duplicate the problem. I believe one time they changed the starter gear and another the acr's. they also said my battery was a little low, so i bought a battery tender. It does seem to start a litlle easier now, but I am wiery of taking it on long trips. any suggestions new battery, upgraded starter, etc? I have a trip planned a three weeks and want to insure I get home on my bike.

Could you be more specific? What kind of problems? Motor is hard to turn over? Kicks back? Backfire? Cranks but won't start?
If you never had hard starting problems BEFORE the dealer had your bike, I would suspect that they did not put it back together correctly, or there is a wire missing off the ACR or something. I would go that route before spending money on something that MAY NOT solve the issue. JMHO
HOGMIKE

VOICEOFAUTHORITY

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »

thanks for youre response. The problems I had is hard crank, couple of times a poof of smoke. Sounds like a grind.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »

sounds like the acr's are not opening while you are cranking the engine. you should be able to hear them when you crank it over.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.