Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Twilight Zone  (Read 1316 times)

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
Twilight Zone
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »

I noticed the chrome around the front bearing area was pealing back during the last cleaning. The replacement wheel arrived last week. After a call from the dealer I had the option of keeping the original wheel or taking a spotted defective replacement with visual issues (three spots of pollution in the chrome). I have to say that after inspecting the replacement, it too had the same edge that must be common to all wheels. The chrome stops at the edge due to the manufacturing process. The ends are capped to keep the bearing bores clear. This creates a copper-chrome build at the edge where the chrome ends at the aluminum bore. Never bump the edge of the bearing bore during a tire change and let your dealer know.  I take offence that any option other than an expected normal quality replacement was offered.  The excuse was the HD 3-5 foot cosmetic rule that limits the replacement of replacement parts if it has any visual defects! It must be tough times for HD indeed. I did call MOCO the next day and indeed they have this rule but say they will look into this issue further with the dealer... Twilight Zone!...stay tuned  :drink:       
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:46:36 AM by Highwaystar »
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Twilight Zone
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »

There is no way I would accept a defective wheel as replacement for a defective wheel...  I don't care what "rule" was declared...  Let the games begin!!!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:55:21 AM »

i totally agree with sadunbar...looks like the rules change to their benifit....

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »

Low and behold I will get the replacement wheel... replaced! Took a call and some talking with the big dogs to get my point across. I still find it odd that there was a lack common sense between the dealer and MOCO. :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »

Low and behold I will get the replacement wheel... replaced! Took a call and some talking with the big dogs to get my point across. I still find it odd that there was a lack common sense between the dealer and MOCO. :drink:

Highwaystar,    I dont suppose you have pictures of the chrome peeling wheel do you?

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »

I do not, but it is the edge that is directly around the wheel bearings and axle. I suspect the edge is easily damaged during servicing if not careful. Any bump on a tire machine or balancer will create problems due to the way the chrome ends at the bearing surface. If you look at the wheel removed, the bearing surface is bare aluminum and you will notice a built up bead of copper and chrome around that edge where the chrome begins. The slightest bump at that edge is bad news for a $1K wheel. I actually got a rag caught in the cracked chrome. Hope this post will help you warn your dealer at servicing to be careful. Normally not a problem with most other wheels. :drink:   

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.