Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dyno Games  (Read 1090 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Dyno Games
« on: August 09, 2005, 10:32:18 PM »

Some things just make you go hrmm.

For the new guys or those just looking for some guidance I would make the following recommendations to help guide you with the Dyno Tuning of your bike.  The rear tire should have 40 lbs of air in it also.

1.  Obtain a dyno run of both cylinders as a base line before you ever do any work to the bike and only after the motor is heated up to 190 to 240 degrees

2.  2 dyno runs when the dyno tuner is finished and says its as good as its going to get.
    why 2 one run from each cylinder back to back with the sniffer in both exhaust pipes
    to make sure there is consistancy in the tune.

3.  The tuner sitting on the bike vs. a misconception that you have more power than you do with no load on the dyno except the rear tire spinning.

4.  A fuel curve that is mostly flat and done in SAE and not Standard with minimal smoothing ie 3 instead of 4 or 5

5.  a 4th gear dyno run and not 5th gear.  dyno run in 5th if you have a 6 speed to clarify this.  

If you ever think your really going to race in 5th gear hold on cause your gonna be 100 + and its rare that you will do this.  (there is always the exception but not the norm)

When done your tuner should give you a copy of the map he has installed either on diskette or CD so you have it incase you ever make changes and want to go back to where you started from.

If you have a Power Commander then you should also get a copy of the map or be showed / told how to pull the map out of the PC to your desktop / laptop.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 09:23:59 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Dyno Games
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:14:44 AM »

Unbalanced, those are all great points, I wish I had see a post like this before I had my PC installed.  The bike runs well enough, but based on the description of the map when I got it home and downloaded it to my laptop, it looks like they just loaded whatever map fit my configuration the closest and did a dyno run.  I have a SEEG with Reinhart True Duals and stock ECM.  The map description was a 103 with Vance and Hines pipes and a different cam setup.  Not going back to those jokers again.  The next rally I go to, I will have it tuned as it should be.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 11:01:17 AM »

Scream,

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Where is your dyno sheet?  

Are you coming down to biketober fest or bikeweek here in daytona area ?  If you are let me know and I can set you up for a dyno session.

The dyno sheet should show what they did for ya.   Usually the aircleaner is the reason most have to go to a tuner as it helps to get more fuel when you add all that air :).  Most people can get away with not having to change the bike when they just add pipes.

Since you have the powercommander you might want to break down and spend the 140 bucks for the SE Air Cleaner if you havent already (not listed in your post).   Just dont put it on till your ready to go to the dyno guy because you will be leaner.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 11:12:14 AM »

My bad...Yes I also have the SE AC installed.  I won't be able to get down to Biketoberfest this year (damn new job..screwing up my riding time).  I need to pull out my dyno sheet and take another look.  It appears that the Air/Fuel is where it should be.  The bike seems to run good and doesn't pop or crack on deceleration. It may be they just used an existing map and performed the tuning, and just did not change the description field.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:42:28 AM »

Scream,

Usually that is the case.  They start from a known good point and build out from there so they know if they mess up really back they can go back.   Generally I ask the tuner to save the maps with each set of changes they do so we dont have to start all over.   It creates a lot of files, but I put them all on CD's so later i have comparisons of what worked and what didnt.  

If you got a copy of the Map and the A/F is good you can just load the software on your laptop or computer and make the changes yourself save it to the hard drive and reburn it back to a CD and all is good :)

If you didnt get a copy of the map call your tuner ask for it on CD or on a Floppie and make the changes yourself.

Glad to hear its running well.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 01:30:37 PM »

Scream,

If you didnt get a copy of the map call your tuner ask for it on CD or on a Floppie and make the changes yourself.

I don't know of a HD dealership that will give a copy of the map (they claim it's HD proprietary information) of the Race Tuner.  I suppose aftermarket shops would but that's not the case for most here.

By the way, that's some very good information in your first post on this thread! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 01:31:19 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HDMonsterTorque

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 12:25:04 PM »

JCZ,

I would find another dealer ...

First : only the maps on the RT cd are from HD. But you buy the CD so you have the maps.
Second : you pay the tuner for tuning your bike. You are allowed to have a copy for backup purposes. You can't download it from the ECU. So at least your dealer should have a copy. But what when he doesn't backup and his computer fails or what his entire building burns down ....

So just get that map on CD or diskette!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 01:47:31 PM »

JCZ,

I would find another dealer ...

First : only the maps on the RT cd are from HD. But you buy the CD so you have the maps.
Second : you pay the tuner for tuning your bike. You are allowed to have a copy for backup purposes. You can't download it from the ECU. So at least your dealer should have a copy. But what when he doesn't backup and his computer fails or what his entire building burns down ....

So just get that map on CD or diskette!

Couldn't agree more.  My dyno man burns the CD when he completes the final run.  When travelling, I ALWAYS carry the copy of the map.  The concept of a dealer not furnishing a copy of the work that you contracted and paid for is ridiculous.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.