Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DOES YOUR DEALER CHECK CLY'S WITH TQ PLATES BEFORE INSTALL?  (Read 1613 times)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
DOES YOUR DEALER CHECK CLY'S WITH TQ PLATES BEFORE INSTALL?
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »

I was at the deale yesterday talking to the motorman and he was checking jugs for one of the enhancement bikes and he said on the 96" bikes jugs were usually with in a .001 or less out of round and hardly any taper. On the 110" jugs .004 to .005 was best on out of round and taper he has seen. He has bored  most of jugs and honed a few just to make them acceptable for him to install by his standards. I have talked to a few other seuc owners and none have said their dealership checked their jugs before install. They bored mine .010 over with new jugs and head gaskets and have almost 11,000 miles no leaks. When they do the enhancement on mine they will check jugs best they can with out pulling pistons out of the jugs because .010 over is bigest oversize pistons they make so far.He said if any thing looks funny another new set of jugs.So when they do any work on you cly's make sure they are checking your parts and not putting together outof the box. RIDE SAFE JDO

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: DOES YOUR DEALER CHECK CLY'S WITH TQ PLATES BEFORE INSTALL?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »

I was at the deale yesterday talking to the motorman and he was checking jugs for one of the enhancement bikes and he said on the 96" bikes jugs were usually with in a .001 or less out of round and hardly any taper. On the 110" jugs .004 to .005 was best on out of round and taper he has seen. He has bored  most of jugs and honed a few just to make them acceptable for him to install by his standards. I have talked to a few other seuc owners and none have said their dealership checked their jugs before install. They bored mine .010 over with new jugs and head gaskets and have almost 11,000 miles no leaks. When they do the enhancement on mine they will check jugs best they can with out pulling pistons out of the jugs because .010 over is bigest oversize pistons they make so far.He said if any thing looks funny another new set of jugs.So when they do any work on you cly's make sure they are checking your parts and not putting together outof the box. RIDE SAFE JDO

When I did my motor build, my 110 cylinders from Axtell were round and straight within .001 with a torque plate!   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:03:18 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »

Hopefully we all know the correct way to build an engine, but I'll guarantee you that many thousands of 95" kits (and now 103" kits) have been sold and installed over the years with zero measurements prior to assembly.  The "tech" takes the new cylinders and pistons out of the box, hopefully cleans them up, adds a little prelube, and slaps it all together.  The assumption is that the close tolerances  :confused5: of Harley's parts eliminate the need to hand fit parts.  Another case where a good theory gets trashed by sloppy process and quality controls.

I wouldn't personally trust a single part straight out of the box, and wouldn't give my business to any tech who just used parts straight out of the box without checking them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:17:32 AM »

My dealer, with previous service manager, checked every cylinder with torque plates.  Most were out of spec from HD.  Dealership sent them out to be fixed.  HD would not re imburse dealer.  This included warranty replacements and 110 kits.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:26:22 AM »

My dealer, with previous service manager, checked every cylinder with torque plates.  Most were out of spec from HD.  Dealership sent them out to be fixed.  HD would not re imburse dealer.  This included warranty replacements and 110 kits.

I would imagine that H-D fixed that little problem by changing the spec, just like the crank issues.  As for the warranty reimbursement problem, they probably denied the claim because it would have been cheaper to return the defective parts and send new ones.  The fact that the new ones probably wouldn't be any better doesn't enter into the corporate formula.  Also, I would suspect that by denying this dealer's claims they were trying to discourage checking parts behind them.  "If we shipped them to you, they are good by definition" would seem to be the MoCo's mantra lately, both with parts and with bikes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »

I would imagine that H-D fixed that little problem by changing the spec, just like the crank issues.  As for the warranty reimbursement problem, they probably denied the claim because it would have been cheaper to return the defective parts and send new ones.  The fact that the new ones probably wouldn't be any better doesn't enter into the corporate formula.  Also, I would suspect that by denying this dealer's claims they were trying to discourage checking parts behind them.  "If we shipped them to you, they are good by definition" would seem to be the MoCo's mantra lately, both with parts and with bikes.

Jerry

the dealer stopped asking because as you expertly said, the replacements were just as bad and now the customer was waiting.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »

I was dealer last night and motor man said cly's he's been getting weren't very straight and that moco and him weren't seeing things the same way and they had him send his tq plates on a cly. he said was off.This guy builds a motor on a 7.11 drag bike so he has a pretty good handle on how the right way is.He said that if the dealership puts a motor together and there is oil leaks or problems they might get stuck with fix not moco warrenty and they look bad. MoCo told them they was pretty much one of the only dealers in the area having a problem with cly's not being to spec.When my second set of head gaskets went on 11,000 miles ago they bored .010 over to straighten and I'm curious to see how they look when my upgrade goes on,he's gonna try to measure best he can without separating pistons out of cly's. Well we'll see if MoCo really wants to fix our bikes.RIDE SAFE JDO
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:16:54 PM by JDOFLHRIDER »

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:53:48 AM »

guess I just got lucky with my '08 fxdse2...at 100 miles I had the selling dealer install a kit that I designed...they just screwed it together with very little blueprinting...had ccp/leakdown checked at two different indy shops...200# and 4% with stock pistons/rings/cylinders
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:55 AM »

HeHe!!! Torque Plates at a dealer!!! BWAA!!!HAAA!!!HAAA!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah right! They take the chit off the shelf just the way HD sends it to em, and then bolt it on your bike. They aren't equipped to properly build an engine anymore. Most will even tell ya that too. You might find the occasional old school guy that knows his chit. But for the most part, dealers don't pay enough to afford to keep real engine guys on their payrolls. Nor do they have proper engine building tools anymore either. Sunnen machine, what's that? HeHe!!! So they have a buncha MMI parts changers working in the back! Consider yourself lucky if you have a REAL engine builder working at you dealer. Sounds like JDO has one! But most are useless when it comes to motors!!! FTD!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »

HeHe!!! Torque Plates at a dealer!!! BWAA!!!HAAA!!!HAAA!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah right! They take the chit off the shelf just the way HD sends it to em, and then bolt it on your bike. They aren't equipped to properly build an engine anymore. Most will even tell ya that too. You might find the occasional old school guy that knows his chit. But for the most part, dealers don't pay enough to afford to keep real engine guys on their payrolls. Nor do they have proper engine building tools anymore either. Sunnen machine, what's that? HeHe!!! So they have a buncha MMI parts changers working in the back! Consider yourself lucky if you have a REAL engine builder working at you dealer. Sounds like JDO has one! But most are useless when it comes to motors!!! FTD!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Good point Howie
Two of the shops in my area send there cylinders out to my machinist  for work.
And the shop charges a lot more than he would.
They do 0 machine work in there shop.
Parts changers, that's all they are now, and not very good ones at that. >:( >:(
Good luck to all those that trust Dealer work, you will need it. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Dave ;)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »

Well MoCo checked cly's and they were off (go figure) ,they said if you rotated the tq plates they could get them closer and still not in spec. and they would have to go to the vendor to work on problem.The 96'' cly's are from a different supplier than 110''s.Thats why I asked about if yor dealer checks cly's because I have seen some undersized and out of round. Ride safe JDO

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.