Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Car-Cycle Comms CB? CB/XM Combo?  (Read 1541 times)

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 105th
Car-Cycle Comms CB? CB/XM Combo?
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:02:42 PM »

My wife and I ride 2-up on our X-Country trips.  She now has her own sports car and wants to drive this on our trips (her own 4-wheel motorcycle?).   I'm liking this idea.   The FLHTCUSE3 rides better when I'm alone, she doesn't like riding 2-up in the rain/cold or putting in the 600 mile days. 

If I put a CB in her car we'll be able to convoy on trips and still communicate (and listen to different radio stations, etc).  I know absolutely nothing about CB's.  Anyone have a recommendation? 

Has anyone heard of a CB/XM combination?

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
Re: Car-Cycle Comms CB? CB/XM Combo?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:36:48 PM »

You can talk to anyone else who has a CB with the CB on your bike, and if you put a CB in her car then you 2 can talk to each other.

Just have the squelch turned up enough to block out the white noise on both CB's and then she can still listen to the FM or XM radio in her car until you talk on your microphone and then she will hear you over the CB.

You can turn ON your CB on the bike, turn the squelch up to block the white noise, then your radio will still play music until your wife talks on her microphone which will interupt the radio and you can hear her.

Just find another channel besides 19 on the CB and it should be quiet.

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 105th
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »

Thanks, Diesel.  Any recommendations on brands or what I need to look for?  How much to pay?  ..........

starshockeyfan

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »

I don't know of any combos, I would get a portable CB radio, they are hard to find these days with the little Motorola two ways,  I think I have seen them at truck stops.
Duracell  High flow - SERT dyno tuned - D&D Boarzilla
06 Road King Classic
Hers - XL1200N

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »

If you want to get a hand held CB for the wife like starshockeyfan suggest you can try one of these:

http://www.walcottcb.com/cb-radios-handheld-cbs-c-340_377_380.html

If you want a smaller hard mounted CB for the car you can try something like this:

http://www.walcottcb.com/combination-510wil-pro510xl-cb-radio-little-wil-antenna-p-1208.html?cPath=340_377_379

And if your wife wants to really reach out there and talk to someone you can get her one of these, which I have in my big truck along with a 650 watt linear  ;D

http://www.walcottcb.com/galaxy-dx95t2-10-meter-amateur-radio-p-996.html?cPath=340_378_448

Poke around the Walcott web site to see if there's anything else you like there, I have done business with Walcott Cb before and not had any problems with them.

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 11:10:58 PM »

This is the one I use for the same purpose. It doesn't have the XM feature but does a good job for communication.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:59:16 AM »

I don't know, but my feeling is this. First, congrats on the Solo deal, I did it several years ago. Second, you kinda missed the boat when that decision was made, you should've gotten her on her own bike, that's the perfect scenario. So now she's in the cage and wants to talk to you on the bike,  :confused5:, you will not get to hear any music because the gabbing will not cease. You can spend the money, do all the stuff, but tell her a different channel # and enjoy the peace. Like I said, just my feeling.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:38:03 AM »

Thanks, Diesel.  Any recommendations on brands or what I need to look for?  How much to pay?  ..........

Cobra makes a great one for what you are looking for.   THE MUFFMAN

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.