Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Screaming eagle MOTOR problems  (Read 2378 times)

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4--SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4--Traded-N-
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO LIMITED
2009 Screaming eagle MOTOR problems
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »

Just purchased a 2009 Ultra classic screaming eagle and it blew oil out all down the side of the bike on the way home, I checked
the oil level and it was not over filled, It was pouring down raining and just got dark. I called the dealership and they told me to ride it back in the next morning...they tell me now it was a gasket left off of the oil cooler at the breather...My concern is did it do motor damage getting to much oil sucking it thru the motor or not getting enough oil and burning up the top end....it currently has 230 miles on it....
"I see the horizon and no destination in sight"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2009 Screaming eagle MOTOR problems
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »

The oil cooler doesn't route through (or really even close to) the breather.  The only gaskets or o-rings in the cooler system are the filter housing to the engine case and the cover over the thermostatic unit (do the new ones still have that as a serviceable unit).  So not sure what they're actually telling you.

If it blew an oil line off you'd not have been able to ride for for more than a very short distance.  So if you rode it any distance and still had adequate oil volume that wasn't it.  The oil might have blown all over the right side of the bike but it's very unlikely you sucked oil in to the top end and hurt anything if it really is an oil coolor problem.  Even if it was a badly blown rocker box gasket on the right side somewhere it'd still just have made a hell of a mess without really hurting much else (so long as there was still oil in the engine).

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »

I took the cover off of the breather and it was saturated with oil, now they are telling me the bike had a minor problem and to come pick it up.....I told them I wanted a new bike....How can they ensure me that no internal damage was done to the motor.....how could I possibly tell what all damage was done.....The oil is all over the seat, R/H speaker, the back brakes and rotor....they also told me It would not hurt the brakes or Rotor....thanks nudels....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »

I took the cover off of the breather and it was saturated with oil, now they are telling me the bike had a minor problem and to come pick it up.....I told them I wanted a new bike....How can they ensure me that no internal damage was done to the motor.....how could I possibly tell what all damage was done.....The oil is all over the seat, R/H speaker, the back brakes and rotor....they also told me It would not hurt the brakes or Rotor....thanks nudels....

A new bike is too much to expect for an oil leak.  Sorry but can't disagree with them there.  If oil volume was never too low (did you see the oil pressure warning light?) you just made a mess but almost certainly didn't hurt anything internal.

The oil won't hurt the painted or chromed surfaces.  They should have cleaned the bike up though.  Oil potentially could have saturated brake pads.  And leather parts might have to be warranty replaced if they won't clean satisfactorily.  Make them give you a good detail and go from there.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »

Nudel-

I know you are upset and so would I.  Give them a chance to fix it.  Everything else can be cleaned up.  Let us know how it works out.

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 08:06:08 AM »

Well after speaking to the GM yesterday at the dealership he told me he could not loacte me another scooter so, I called around and located another one and I am in the process this morning to undo the deal...thanks so much for all of the imput.....I currently have 73,000 miles on my 2007 Low Rider that I am trading in and I am $7,000.00 upside down nothing like paying for 2 bikes and riding one.....thanks so much nudels

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:33 AM »

Well after speaking to the GM yesterday at the dealership he told me he could not loacte me another scooter so, I called around and located another one and I am in the process this morning to undo the deal...thanks so much for all of the imput.....I currently have 73,000 miles on my 2007 Low Rider that I am trading in and I am $7,000.00 upside down nothing like paying for 2 bikes and riding one.....thanks so much nudels

73000 on a 07?
Ride on hudels!
You deserve it!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 09:10:51 AM »

73000 on a 07?
Ride on hudels!
You deserve it!

:2vrolijk_21:

Didn't pickup on that until you pointed it out Chip. 

It's great that you can find another bike Nudel.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.