Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Football Question  (Read 527 times)

SPIDERMAN

Football Question
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »

At the end of the Steelers/Chargers game, Troy Polomalu intercepted an apparent lateral and ran it in for a touchdown as time expired. The zebras ruled it a touchdown and the two teams lined up for the PAT. Me an Beagle and Hank got into a go round on this as I said they had to kick the PAT irregardless of the score and time on the clock and Hank and Beagle said BS. The Steelers had the game in hand without the TD so game over. Well the booth overruled the TD saying the lateral had actually been an illegal forward pass so the game ended 11-10 (a first in NLF history) vice 17 or 18-10. Can anybody explain to me why they'd allow the PAT when time had expired and the score would not affect the outcome of the game ?  I mean is it anything to do with the point spread issue for Sports Books ?

B B

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Football Question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »

what PAT? the score was 11-10 prior to that play
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:40:15 PM »

oops just read your question again.

a PAT is part of the touchdown. there is no clock during a PAT so even if time expires they kick it
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

youker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »

got this from wiki

In the NFL, the attempt for extra point(s) is required after a touchdown scored during the regulation (i.e., not overtime), because points are used for some tiebreakers in the standings. Rarely, this can result in such an attempt having to be made at the end of the game when it cannot change the outcome of the game. If the game is in sudden death overtime, the extra-point attempt is omitted if the winning score is a touchdown. In American high school and college football, it's likewise omitted following a touchdown on the game's final play if six points were enough to win or if the scoring team was already ahead.

CRMC RTTE
Support your local Motorcycle Club

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »

Thanks youker, that's what I told Beagle and Hank, but they kept saying I was F O S

On another note, can you imagine Donovan Mcnabb not knowing a game can end in a tie ?

And he makes how much a year to play the game ?

B B

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:07:58 PM »

Thanks youker, that's what I told Beagle and Hank, but they kept saying I was F O S

On another note, can you imagine Donovan Mcnabb not knowing a game can end in a tie ?

And he makes how much a year to play the game ?

B B

Polamalu got screwed.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »

From NFL.com digest of rules:
Try
After a touchdown, the scoring team is allowed a try during one scrimmage down. The ball may be spotted anywhere between the inbounds lines, two or more yards from the goal line. The successful conversion counts one point by kick; two points for a successful conversion by touchdown; or one point for a safety.
The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over.
Any distance penalty for fouls committed by the defense that prevent the try from being attempted can be enforced on the succeeding try or succeeding kickoff. Any foul committed on a successful try will result in a distance penalty being assessed on the ensuing kickoff.
Only the fumbling player can recover and advance a fumble during a try.

Apparently, it is not mandatory.....

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.