Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what other seat works on a fxr4  (Read 4451 times)

seven

what other seat works on a fxr4
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:43:49 AM »

I'm looking for a different seat for my fxr4 with a bit more padding for the passenger. I'm personally very happy with my stock seat, but friends that ride with me aren't. Most of the aftermarket seats that I see are set up to use the hinge setup, or they aren't very appealing to the eye. I would like to find a seat that uses the tab and bolt system, for quick easy changes. Will a seat from another model work? And if so which models?

THANKS FOR THE HELP AND INPUT                                                   

Seven
SEVEN

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: what other seat works on a fxr4
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:06:19 AM »

".....I'm looking for a different seat for my fxr4 with a bit more padding for the passenger....."

SIMPLY, CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

CORBIN DUAL TOUR FOR HARLEY FXR

I would have to say that one of the most comfortable seats that my wife has sat on as a pillion was a version of the Corbin Dual Tour but for a FXDL (2003 Dyna Low Rider)......this is the same seat but specifically will fit your FXR4. 

I believe MikeyFXR4 actually has this seat on his FXR4, there are plenty of photos of his bike here at the FXR section to view....

Regards,

"Classic"

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »

Hey Seven ......

use that link that Tim posted ..... my saddle 'looks' a little bit like that double tour, however it is the 'Cowboy and Lady' model of the Corbin line.
It's just a bit smaller than the double tour, which I thought would look a little be better with the profile of the FXR.

It uses the tongue at the gas tank for mounting.

Mustang also has saddles that will fit, and also use the tongue at the tank for mounting, as does Saddleman.

I have about 12K miles on my Corbin, I'm a VERY SATISFIED customer and FAN of Corbin saddles.  They will modify your saddle ONE TIME, no charge, unless you ask for something that would cause them to have to replace the entire top cover, then you'd have to pay for that.   I've considered that I'd ship mine back and ask to have it cut down just a wee bit narrower in the nose section. Other than that, it's PERFECT !!

I understand now, that they will make 'some' adjustment to it before they make it, if you ask them. They did not used to do that. They will tell you, they do not make 'customized' saddles.  However I've been hearing more and more guys say that Corbin has worked with them to modify their saddle.

Me, I'm sure I'll just put another 12K on it this year, and just keep on SMILING   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Best of luck in your search, Please let us know what you find and decide, Thanks !
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »

~~

Most of the aftermarket seats that I see are set up to use the hinge setup,

~~

Seven that seems different than what has been my experience with the FXR4

So much so, that when I wanted to try the Mustang solo saddle you can only do so if you have the hinge setup
all the saddles that I looked at EXCEPT solo's use the tab for mounting

I bought the hinge setup for the FXR ..... yes, you can still get those parts. You order stuff for 198x year FXR.  The frame specfic parts are welded onto your frame already to accommodate this setup.  It IS NOT CHEAP !!!  I paid close to $100 from the HD Dealer (only place to get it that I could find).

I tried the Mustang saddle .... I'll find some pics and post em ..... it didn't look good on my bike, sent it back.

If anyone is interested in buying the hinge setup hardware I'll make you a REALLY GOOD DEAL !!  50% off, you pay the shipping.

Mikey
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

revinkevin

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

arrrrg ... if I lived in the US instead of Canada I woulda been interested in that hinge Mikey

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »

arrrrg ... if I lived in the US instead of Canada I woulda been interested in that hinge Mikey

somebody else here has also sent me a PM about it......

Please educate me .... what does living in Canada have to do with it ?

Thanks,
Mikey
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

revinkevin

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »

I suspect that the shipping to Ontario Canada might be a little more than the shipping to a state in the US  ;)

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »

Have the seat rebuilt by a good seat builder, like I did.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 08:21:29 PM »

here's the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady on my FXR4
I REALLY like this saddle, and of course I'm IN LOVE with the bike   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Bullwinkle

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:58:18 PM »

>> I would like to find a seat that uses the tab and bolt system, for quick easy changes.

You don't get any easier than the hinge.  The pin is open on one end and all you have to do to take the seat off is swing it up and slide it forward about 3/4".  You may need to change the hinge and latch if you only have one, but that is pretty easy.  Find a seat you like and leave it on the scoot.

All you need to do to check the battery or the oil is to swing it over.

Sometimes the hinge and latch are offered on eBay, but Elvis Place also has them.  They aren't cheap, but I bought both for < $45.  Just be patient.

Bullwinkle

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »

Hi,
 My FXR4 did not have the original seat. I always liked the flip seat for easy access to battery and oil tank. I got a Mustang two peice seat. I had th buy the hingeand latch from Harley. They were more that I thought they would be.Myseat  is 13.5" wide, the rear seat is 12" wide I got the wide one to keep my wife happy but they do have the same style but not as widealso.
Thanks,
Ltank

Bullwinkle

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »

I was lucky and found one of the Mustang seats with backrest.  The driver seat is the same with or without backrest, but the pillion is the one that carries the backrest, and they are discontinued.  I uploaded a picture today to the show us your FXR thread, I think on page 19.  Nice comfortable seat and worth every dime plus the trouble it takes to find one now.

Bullwinkle

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.