Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basic performance changes to SERG after break-in?  (Read 1451 times)

rasmusmi

Basic performance changes to SERG after break-in?
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:10:43 AM »

Gentlemen,
I'm slated to get an o/b SERG in April :orange: and am thinking ahead about some "basic" changes after break-in to improve the bike's performance, comfort and sound (both exhaust and stereo-wise) without getting "too" carried away.

By "basic" I mean NOT cutting open the engine (to change cams, etc). I want my 110ci engine to "be all that it can be" without any major modifications, as I'm not planning to race this bike and am interested in reliability along with the "fun-factor".

I know an exhaust change-out with less restricted airflow are in order, but what else can you advise? If much of this topic has already been addressed previously, please redirect me to those threads.

Thanks for your time to respond and help me out..:)

rasmusmi

Re: Basic performance changes to SERG after break-in?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:09:37 PM »

anyone?...anyone?... :o

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »

After 200 miles on mine, I'm finding it real hard to decide if I want to do anything muffler/performance wise. I think I've had my fill of ultra loud pipes, and the power is really good, and getting better as I break her in. Working on the comfort part, and some minor cosmetic "Chrome Harley Forgot" stuff. Sorry I'm not much help, but, wanted to give you my opinion.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »

whoa guys guys guys, where have you been. we've been MOD'n for awhile now. Come back in 300 miles
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

rasmusmi

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »

After 200 miles on mine, I'm finding it real hard to decide if I want to do anything muffler/performance wise. I think I've had my fill of ultra loud pipes, and the power is really good, and getting better as I break her in. Working on the comfort part, and some minor cosmetic "Chrome Harley Forgot" stuff. Sorry I'm not much help, but, wanted to give you my opinion.

Thanks for your response..I appreciate it. I don't plan on doing anything drastic for awhile..just enjoy the bike and get the feel of it first, then see what happens. Take care, ride safe and enjoy that new SERG!!! :orange: :2vrolijk_21:

rasmusmi

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:23:11 PM »

whoa guys guys guys, where have you been. we've been MOD'n for awhile now. Come back in 300 miles

As I said initially.."If much of this topic has already been addressed previously, please redirect me to those threads." I just found out this w.e. I'm for sure getting a new SERG in April, so until now I hadn't really been paying attention nor following this section of the Forum.. :-\ ...that's why I'm asking now.  :)

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:52:27 AM »

I put a set of hooker slip-ons on. They fit perfectly, sound great and seemed to have added a bit of torque - although the added torque may be in my mind.  I have no intention as long as it is under warranty to mess with anything else on the motor.

Other upgrades are very modest - Clearview screen, backrest for me, Piaa driving lights and freeway pegs

Looking forward to seeing if anyone has any comments about upgrades for the stereo......

Gotta say that IMHO Harley got this one right -  the SERG is just a great bike.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:59:47 AM »

Ok, in a nutshell, Removing the stock baffles and installing Fullsac 1 3/4, or 2 " baffles. cutting out the cat. Installing a Air/fuel management system. Twisting the throttle really really hard. if your neck hurts the next day, the scoot is faster.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

rasmusmi

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:07:59 AM »

Thanks guys..that gives me a start...just trying to plan ahead and sock away my nickels and dimes over the next few cold, snowy months up here in anticipation of this bad boy's arrival in April..:orange: :carrot: :2vrolijk_21:
Take care, and ride safe! :)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »

As I said initially.."If much of this topic has already been addressed previously, please redirect me to those threads." I just found out this w.e. I'm for sure getting a new SERG in April, so until now I hadn't really been paying attention nor following this section of the Forum.. :-\ ...that's why I'm asking now.  :)

Roadking, here are the definitive threads to read: If you want performance for your SERG without too much $$$

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27693.msg481080#msg481080

Best exhaust for least $$$ (probably and almost any price), look here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27814.0    and here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28086.0   

That will show you how to remove your cat and change baffles.  Great look, sound and power at a fraction of the cost of aftermarket systems.

Looks are personal but I love the look of the KW 12" windshield.  For sound, I think I found a great answer.  I just installed a Titan 454 amp and Polk Audio MM525 marine rated speakers that is killer and a lot less than Hawg Tunes ($480 v. $825) or other "systems" I've seen.  Very clear speakers.  When I get some time I'll do a new thread on it because it seems like a great deal...  Good luck!  Mod on!

GK

And about that breakin, you might want to read:  http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:37:09 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

rasmusmi

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »

GregKhougaz - awesome man!..thanks! This is what I was looking and hoping for when I started this thread. Take care, ride safe and God bless.... :)

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.