Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progressive 39mm fork upgrades  (Read 6916 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Progressive 39mm fork upgrades
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »

Hi,
I have a 2000 FXR4. The bike has stock 39 mm fron forks. I don't know what the stock front fork spring length is. The progressive site list other FXR models but not the FXR 2/3/4. Dose any one know what kit to get. I seems the springs may be the same but the plastis spacers would be different. If that's the case it would not matter what kit I got  but would need to make the correct PVC spacers. Dpes thier fork tube dampers help that much over replacing just the springs? What fork oil weight should I use?
Thanks,
Lynn

RedFXR2

Re: Progressive 39mm fork upgrades
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »

Lynn, welcome to the FXR pages. :)

There are other members here who I will defer to about forks.  They're "regulars" so I'm sure they'll see your post.

Again, welcome aboard.

elvislee

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:09:52 PM »

Lynn, welcome to the FXR pages. :)

There are other members here who I will defer to about forks.  They're "regulars" so I'm sure they'll see your post.Again, welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard Lynn and hope ta see ya around more  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »

Hi,
I have a 2000 FXR4. The bike has stock 39 mm fron forks. I don't know what the stock front fork spring length is. The progressive site list other FXR models but not the FXR 2/3/4. Dose any one know what kit to get. I seems the springs may be the same but the plastis spacers would be different. If that's the case it would not matter what kit I got  but would need to make the correct PVC spacers. Dpes thier fork tube dampers help that much over replacing just the springs? What fork oil weight should I use?
Thanks,
Lynn

Welcome aboard to the Great Site Lynn! Glad to have another nerw FXR guy with us. Not an expert by any means, but I've used the Progressive springs and dampeners before. The 39 mm narrow glide forks aren't as bad as the forks on other HD's. The CVO FXR's use a standard height FXR fork. I don't know of anything that changed in the internals, so the earlier 39 mm stuff from say a '94 FXR should fit. But the stock springs and dampener with heavier for oil works decently enough. Before I spent the money to change out the internals to the Progressive, I'd invest it in the Traxxion AK-20 Cartridge Fork Conversion. Money's much better spent that way! ;)

A Thread on the Traxxion AK-20's.:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12154.msg188946#msg188946

Traxxion's latest pricing and discount for us:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21751.msg461516#msg461516

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »

Welcome to the site, Itank!   :2vrolijk_21:  Glad you have joined us!

Hope you stick around after getting your fork situation figured out...  Would love to see pictures of your bike!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

Hi,
 I don't want to semm stupid but, I did not have a good photo when I joined but now I don't know hoaw to add any photos to show on the site. Can you tell me how? The help files were not helpful to me. I can attacha pic here though.
Mods to my bike:
Rejetted CV carb with Stage 2 Big Sucker Air Cleaner
Dave Mackie DM500 cam
S.E. Adjustable pushrods
S&S breather gear
Python 3 Staggered Duals
Mustang 2 peice flip seat
Fat Bob rear fender and rack
Harley Quick Detachable windshield
Quick Detachable saddlebags
Loud Stebel dual electric horns
And the list changes little by little.
Thanks,
Lynn

elvislee

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »

Hi,
 I don't want to semm stupid but, I did not have a good photo when I joined but now I don't know hoaw to add any photos to show on the site. Can you tell me how? The help files were not helpful to me. I can attacha pic here though.
Mods to my bike:
Rejetted CV carb with Stage 2 Big Sucker Air Cleaner
Dave Mackie DM500 cam
S.E. Adjustable pushrods
S&S breather gear
Python 3 Staggered Duals
Mustang 2 peice flip seat
Fat Bob rear fender and rack
Harley Quick Detachable windshield
Quick Detachable saddlebags
Loud Stebel dual electric horns
And the list changes little by little.
Thanks,
Lynn

Hey Lynn...FRIGGIN SWEET MAN!...What kind a seat ya got there? Is it a Mustang?...Ya still got the stock drag Bars too. Had ta get rid of them on mine; made me feel like an old fella...Wait....I am and old fella  ;D...A beauty man  :2vrolijk_21:

elvislee

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »

Hey Lynn...Is that stock paint code on your rear fender? :2vrolijk_21:

elvislee

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:54:38 PM »

Lynn...Let me ask ya to help me out here if ya can. I went down to the HD dealer today ta see on buying a winshield and brackets, PN: 58063-04 with quick release brackets. The shield is standard height at 18.3" from top of headlight. I'm 5'8" tall and sitting on my bike in a natural riding position the height from the top of the headlight up to and level with the tip of my nose is 20". Could you measure the distance from the top of your headlight up to the bottom of the shield right above the headlight and give me the clearance in that space. I need to know that distance to try and figure what height shield I need to get...Thanks for any help...Blaine

elvislee

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:34 PM »

OK....I do that often :-[ I see now it is a Mustang  :-[  :-[  :2vrolijk_21:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »

Hi,
 The rear fender paint is not an exact match. The original paint is not available but there are small bottles of touch up paint available from Adventure HD online store. There were two heights on the windshield. I got the the shorter one. I am 5' 9" and can see over the top of the shield. The difference in seats wil also make a difference as will where you sit according to what handlebars you have. I don't remeber what model I got just that it was the shorter shield. What hanldle bars do you have? Look like the ones from FXR 2/3. I would like different bars but I got new cables on and if I change bars then I would have to buy new cable again and extend the wiring if ther is not enough slack.
Thanks,
Lynn

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »

Howie, Howie, Howie....LOL you forget to mention that the AK-20 TRAXION set up is $1,100.00 which should be pointed out....LOL.

Ok...so ltank~~~

Welcome to the site here......glad you have found it.........if you feel like it....check out the "THREAD" below, SIMPLY PLACE YOUR CURSOR OVER THE TOPIC BELOW, CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

FXR CHATTER  <~~~~~~CLICK, VIEW, & READ......

You will be able to meet some of us there via descriptions.....great way to start to recognize who people are, also if you like introduce yourself and the background of how you found your bike....up to you but....it's a great start to meeting all of us characters....

NOW to address your question......depending upon how you feel about doing some of your own R&D, my suggestion would be to spend $15.00 first and find some BEL~RAY 20w Fork Oil and put in 10 oz in each fork.....See how you like this to begin with....if you're still not happy then of course the next step is to purchase some "alternative" springs ie: progressive springs indeed would or could be your next step. 

It's really a 90 minute job at most to remove both fork caps drain the old fork oil out, and then put in the new fork oil, and replace the caps....perhaps even less time depending upon skill level....

I certainly first would do the above......depending upon how many miles are on your bike of course I would assume your OEM springs are still holding up nicely.

Please feel free to ask more questions....I had my fork springs out this past summer to change my fork oil and unfortunately I didn't actually measure the length.....BUT I have an idea.....you could possibly look up the part number call a few dealerships and see if they have any in stock.....and either accept what measurement they can tell you over the phone or go in and measure yourself to be sure.....<~~~it's just an idea....that way you can actually know the measurement you are looking for....for the life of me right now I just actually can't remember if there were any spacers in there.....or if there aren't.....it's one of those deals where you pull out what's inside the fork lay it down and place back in without that much observance.....I suppose the Part's Book would also answer the question if there are any spacers in there or not and could also be measured by acquiring the Part's Book.....if you don't have one let me know and I can take a peek for you.....it's out in the garage and I am in my office right now.

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:19:25 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »

Hmmmmm

no one here knew the length of the OEM springs for Lynn (ltank)?

So Lynn what did you decide upon?

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:19:50 AM by FXR2evo99 »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »

Hi Tim,
 I will probably go with the progressive 11-1130  springs / damper with different fork oil.  The site does not give the legnth of the different springs. The Traxxion kit is too expensive. I think if I get the progressive front end set up and get some good rear air shocks for less than the Traxxion I should be in good shape.
Thanks,
Lynn

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.