Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throttle Lag ....Round IV  (Read 951 times)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
Throttle Lag ....Round IV
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:35:31 AM »

I wait and wait for the Master Tuner in Hayward. Rain delays...rain...cold....Ice Storms and hail....and finally snow at the 1000' above sea level mark. Finally, I get my day in the sun and I ride like I stole it to Fremont, CA Friday night the 19th of December. Man it's hella cold up there this evening. 35 degrees with the wind chill of 75-95 MPH. OK? Cold

I am on time. Meet with Bob @ RC Cycles for the third time. Great guy, and I know I am finally in good hands for a great long awaited tune. He gets the bike set up in the Dyno Room, doubled doors with air temp control colder than it is outside. I start to get cold again. Adapt and improvise, I know..I know....

The bike is ready for the SERT even though it is known between us that the throttle lag is not correctable by this version of software and hardware. But since their has been some success in the past with the older version, we go for it. And then, like a lightning bolt from the heavens, he asks the question: What cam have you installed, what's the lift...etc....

I have been calling my former "builder" from World Thunder about the specs for the cam he had installed for months. I had even called as late as Wednesday night the 17th of December and reminded the former owner about my needs again. He had some things to say (unrelated mind you) and we hung up with him out of state, waiting for an important personal matter to be addressed. He would try again.

I figured he would do better under pressure, cause everything on my list is last on his to do list. I called from the Dyno Room, got the answering machine. He called the following Sunday and left me a message.

I know it is my responsibility. I stand up as usual and remind myself that's what men do. They screw up, and take it like men. It is what I was taught all through military school, and hold to it to this very day. It's my fault I didn't have the specs, and let it go till it was too late.

Bob now has to tune without reliable information and try to make an educated guess from experience. This has got to be hard because of the multitude of variables including tuners attitude. He is disappointed in me, and I make phone calls furiously with zero results.

After a half hour of some changes I left him alone to work some magic and tune my SE RoadKing. I was outside for 45 minutes when he opened the door, and said "Got it !! " . He had slightly adjusted a map found in the programs saved files that seem to work. He says: "watch, the throttle is going to respond to every blip from the tbw control. And it does exactly that.
You might recall how my description of feeling like being thrown on my face at full stops. NO MORE....THROTTLE RESPONSE IS MARVELOUS !!!!

continued....

Mike K.
kona76
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:38:48 AM by kona76 »
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
Re: Throttle Lag ....Round IV
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:17:37 AM »

Continues like this....

I test drive it, feels great, less filling..no that's Lite BEER, huh? Anyway....

The total time spent was under his usual tuning time due to a "reception" and was glad to have freed me of my problem. That makes at least two of us. Parted ways, said thanks a million times and sorry a million more for not knowing my specs on the cam.

It was even colder that late afternoon, and the temp. was dropping most of the evening. I set sail at 6:00 AM. I finally got a chance to ride like the wind since the cam was first installed. And that lasted about an hour. Still cold, and having 175 miles to go, I set the cruise control to 75MPH and kicked back on top of my ride, Highway Style. The experience lasted 12-15 minutes when I noticed a back fire while downshifting into a few turns. Then more backfiring, spitting and bogging.

I am amazed how fast life screws up my head. Just yesterday afternoon I had a dream bike tuned to almost perfection. As you can tell, the dyno chart clearly does what it does best: dress to impress someone. I stated earlier that the quote "...the numbers will be there" , rang true to life.

cont...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:41:36 AM by kona76 »
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 03:57:58 AM »

Continues.....Last entry for this new/old topic post....

I made it back to Pismo Beach without any real problems. Usually, the new higher rev's will produce a problem of sort for my buzzards luck. To prove me right, I acquired a warning light. The lower right light. Check engine light? I don't know, I don't have my owners or service manual with me. Plus 2 LED's on my flush mount gas cap display are out;
from Left to Right, #'s 2 & 3 are dead.

But the engine light is not okay. I checked the basics thinking it was a "check engine" warning light. Fluids seem OK but ya never know; no leaks.. everything seems in order but the light won't go away.

Came home, looked up the diagnostic's codes and procedure here on this site. No codes, nothing to lead me in the right direction. Oil is fine. Now what do I do?

The bottom line is I will probably have to get the spec's from World Thunder on the cam, go back evenutally and finish the tune proper, and didn't' have to spend additional money on the hardware because the existing SERT worked at this time (kinda).

Cost of Tuner Services = $395.00
Cost of Hotel & Food    = $225.00
Cost of gas approx.      = $ 60.00
Misc                          = $ 20.00
Total Costs                 =$700.00

Cost of riding the perfectly tuned CVO SERK for a few hours......PRICELESS   EVEN FOR AN HOUR IT'S STILL PRICELESS.

Happy Holidays CVO Family

Mike K.
kona76

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 07:37:40 AM »

Hang in there Mike! :2vrolijk_21:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 08:51:49 AM »

Cost of riding the perfectly tuned CVO SERK for a few hours......PRICELESS   EVEN FOR AN HOUR IT'S STILL PRICELESS.

Mike K.
kona76

Mike, Happy Holidays to you, your friends and family.  Congrats on the great tune, and thanks for reminding all of us how wonderful it truly is to have great toys that we all have. 

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »

Continues.....Last entry for this new/old topic post....

I made it back to Pismo Beach without any real problems. Usually, the new higher rev's will produce a problem of sort for my buzzards luck. To prove me right, I acquired a warning light. The lower right light. Check engine light? I don't know, I don't have my owners or service manual with me. Plus 2 LED's on my flush mount gas cap display are out;
from Left to Right, #'s 2 & 3 are dead.

But the engine light is not okay. I checked the basics thinking it was a "check engine" warning light. Fluids seem OK but ya never know; no leaks.. everything seems in order but the light won't go away.

Came home, looked up the diagnostic's codes and procedure here on this site. No codes, nothing to lead me in the right direction. Oil is fine. Now what do I do?

The bottom line is I will probably have to get the spec's from World Thunder on the cam, go back evenutally and finish the tune proper, and didn't' have to spend additional money on the hardware because the existing SERT worked at this time (kinda).

Cost of Tuner Services = $395.00
Cost of Hotel & Food    = $225.00
Cost of gas approx.      = $ 60.00
Misc                          = $ 20.00
Total Costs                 =$700.00

Mike K.
kona76

Hang with it Mike. The flush mount thing is a known problem with this accessory! Mine are being replace also.
Now that you know what she's supposed to feel like, you know what's at the end of the rainbow. You'll get it done.

Have a Merry Christmas.

JW

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.