Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crankshaft Tolerance  (Read 5563 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Crankshaft Tolerance
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »

I've had a mechanic pull the cams and cam plate.  I wanted to install new gear drive cams but the crank is out of balance by .005".  Apparently Harley allows a tolerance of .010".  Anyway, he says that he can't install the gear drive cams if the tolerance is off by more than .003" so it appears I'll be putting the original cams back.  Or is there another set of chain drive cams that will get me more performance?  He's also installing a Feuling Oil Pump and Cam Plate.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Crankshaft Tolerance
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »

Nearly all cam grinds that are available in a gear drive form are also available in a chain drive variant.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »

I've had a mechanic pull the cams and cam plate.  I wanted to install new gear drive cams but the crank is out of balance by .005".  Apparently Harley allows a tolerance of .010".  Anyway, he says that he can't install the gear drive cams if the tolerance is off by more than .003" so it appears I'll be putting the original cams back.  Or is there another set of chain drive cams that will get me more performance?  He's also installing a Feuling Oil Pump and Cam Plate.

He's right on the crank. I wouldn't use gears at 0.005" runout either. And the HD spec is now 0.012", not 0.010"! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

S&S doesn't make chain drive, but there's plenty of others out there. If you wanted to do cams, no reason to put the old ones back in though. Call Woods or Mackie and discuss your application so you can select the right cam for your build. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »

DakotaZeb:

If I'm seeing your bike correctly, it looks to be an '06SEUC.  IMO if your wanting to upgrade, I'd recommend doing the new style conversion of cams, pump, plate, chains, etc!  Yes .005" is a bit high for runout; but short of pulling the crank to have it trued/welded, a conversion will tolerate it as well as, if not better, than your stock system.

If you have an interest in the conversion, John at http://www.flyingwperformance.com/ offers excellent service and customer support!

:2vrolijk_21:

'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »

DakotaZeb:

If I'm seeing your bike correctly, it looks to be an '06SEUC.  IMO if your wanting to upgrade, I'd recommend doing the new style conversion of cams, pump, plate, chains, etc!  Yes .005" is a bit high for runout; but short of pulling the crank to have it trued/welded, a conversion will tolerate it as well as, if not better, than your stock system.

If you have an interest in the conversion, John at http://www.flyingwperformance.com/ offers excellent service and customer support!

Excellent solution! Best way to go! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »

I have to agree with the above, do the conversion to the 07+ camplate, oilpump and tensioners. Cam choices are a bit limited when you do this. The 54N from Andrews will work well in the CVO 103.

Here are the conversion instructions with a listing of parts needed.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/Cams_conversion_chain-01.pdf

dsmbagger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:22:40 PM »

Yup, DO NOT use the fueling pump. They wont tolerate the runout for that long. Go with the conversion setup or fix the crank.....JMO..

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »

I have to agree with the above, do the conversion to the 07+ camplate, oilpump and tensioners. Cam choices are a bit limited when you do this. The 54N from Andrews will work well in the CVO 103.

Here are the conversion instructions with a listing of parts needed.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/Cams_conversion_chain-01.pdf

If your investigating the conversion, I'd also figure in adjustable pushrods, Timken inner bearings, Cometic exhaust gaskets, and definitely a quality assembly lube.  Herko-Bagger (John) at FlyingW Performance has the parts list down pat!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:10:09 PM by WVULTRA »
'07 Ultra Classic
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »

If your investigating the conversion, I'd also figure in adjustable pushrods, Timken inner bearings, Cometic exhaust gaskets, and definitely a quality assembly lube.  Herko-Bagger (John) at FlyingW Performance has the parts list down pat!

I'm assuming you're referring to Torrington full coverage cam bearings, not Timken bearing in the bottom end. If he does the Timken, he'd have the crank trued, balanced and welded, or replace it, and he can then go with the gear driven-cams he originally wanted to use. ;)

Hoist! 8)

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »

Yes, the Timken/Torrington inner CAM bearings.

'07 Ultra Classic
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

RJW

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE5d #506
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »

What could happen if he put gear drives in???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:07:51 PM »

What could happen if he put gear drives in???

The gear mounted to the crankshaft would wobble with the crankshaft, while the mating gear would not.  Therefore you would have tight spots and loose spots.  This will create noise if runout is minor, and gear failure if it is major.  Back when Harley Big Twins used gear drives straight from the factory, typical runout was held to less than .001", and the maximum wear tolerance was .003".  Now that Harley has gone to chain drive, they obviously don't think it's worth the time and money to maintain tolerances they had 20 years ago.  I guess they figure the average rider does maybe 4000 miles a year, so by the time the runout ruins the oil pump the bike will be out of warranty and the customer will probably want to hop the engine up anyway, so why not just let the customer spend money to fix this little issue?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »

For a 103" C.I.  go with Andrews 54 ,great cam and quiet or Woods TW-6-6 .  Dewey

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.