Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sailors Save Drowning Motorcyclist  (Read 940 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Sailors Save Drowning Motorcyclist
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »

February 24, 2009
Navy News
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - A Sailor aboard USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) was awarded a Navy and Marine Corps Medal Feb. 19, for his heroism while saving the life of a fellow Sailor involved in a motorcycle accident last year.

Fire Controlman 2nd Class Jason Murphy and two former service members witnessed a motorcyclist who lost control and crashed at the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel in Norfolk on the morning of March 22.

Immediately after colliding with a wall, Brian Anthony Davis, a former Sailor stationed aboard USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69), was flung into the chilly waters of the Chesapeake Bay.

"There wasn't much time to think," said Murphy. "We saw the situation and knew what had to be done, so we turned our thoughts into action."

Murphy and former shipmate, Aviation Support Equipment Technician 3rd Class Edgar Ardon, immediately approached the scene where Damage Controlman 3rd Class Elisandro Leal spotted a helmet in the water, and then saw Davis floating facedown.

While Leal called emergency services for help, Murphy and Ardon quickly stripped down to their undergarments, dove into the 52 degree water, and swam about 25 yards in the morning darkness to retrieve Davis, who was unconscious and drowning.

The Carl Vinson Sailors then pulled Davis back to shore, where they initiated CPR and revived him while waiting for paramedics to arrive.

Murphy said he dismisses any notion of being labeled a hero for his actions.

"We were just doing the right thing; what we should have done," said Murphy. "I don't feel like a hero. I was just at the right place at the right time, and I tried to help someone out. It all happened so fast, but everything fell into place."

Ardon, the other Carl Vinson Sailor involved in the lifesaving effort, was also awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal and is now working in government service in California. Leal, who was on-scene and assisted in alerting authorities of the accident, was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal last summer.

The Navy and Marine Corps Medal is the second highest noncombatant medal awarded by the Navy and ranks above the Bronze Star. While it is awarded under circumstances that do not include enemy conflict, Sailors and Marines who are awarded the medal have usually engaged in honorable actions that put their own lives at risk. Former recipients of the prestigious award include President John F. Kennedy and Carl Brashear.

"This is a real honor and privilege," said Murphy. "I am very appreciative, and I am really proud to have been a part of something that deserves an award like this. Mainly, though, I'm just happy (Davis) made it out okay and is back with his family now."
Carl Vinson is undergoing its scheduled refueling complex overhaul (RCOH) at Northrop Grumman Newport News shipyard. The RCOH is an extensive yard period that all Nimitz-class aircraft carriers go through near the mid-point of their 50-year life cycle.

During RCOH, Carl Vinson's nuclear fuel will be replenished and the ship's services and infrastructure will be upgraded to make her the most state-of-the-art aircraft carrier in the fleet.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Sailors Save Drowning Motorcyclist
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »

Great story and deserving heros to be sure. Thanks for sharing.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:49:56 PM »

IT's great to see GOOD NEWS for a change!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:53:39 PM »

Just heard tonite of a similar accident near Daytona the other day. A motorcyclist crashed and went into a canal. The rider badly injured call "home" and told his famaily he was involved in an accident and thought he had broke his legs. Bad part he did not know exactly where he was at. By the time they had found him it was to late. Should have called 911 and they could of trcked him faster.  :(
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »

Just heard tonite of a similar accident near Daytona the other day. A motorcyclist crashed and went into a canal. The rider badly injured call "home" and told his famaily he was involved in an accident and thought he had broke his legs. Bad part he did not know exactly where he was at. By the time they had found him it was to late. Should have called 911 and they could of trcked him faster.  :(
First I want to congratulate and commend the sailors this thread is about. What they did was an excellent example of being in the right place at the right time and doing something (a heroic act) to prevent futher injury/death. Job well done Sailors. :2vrolijk_21:

Secondly Dave's post got me to thinking about something I would like to share that might benefit someone in the same/similar situation as the guy in his post. Many of us now have GPS's and I know the Zumo will give you your present location in Lat/Long. If you ever find yourself in unknown territory or due to circumstances you aren't able to give exact location and you have a GPS (Zumo specifically and probably most GPS') there is a feature that will give you your location. On the Zumo if you bring up the Map (View Map) and click on the bike (or whatever icon shows your position) a screen will come up giving you your exact location N?? W?? and elevation. If you can relay this information to 911 they should be able to determine your exact location with it. Just something to keep in the back of your mind in case it's ever needed.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:49:24 PM »

I was told that the way they finally located the downed biker (although too late to save him) was through the locator via his cell phone......not sure how they 'ping' the gps locator in all the new phones, but I guess you rescue guys/gals know.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.