Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TC 96 firing on one cylinder...  (Read 2207 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
TC 96 firing on one cylinder...
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »

Hey, I need some expert opinions... 

So I'm out on the hi-way yesterday with a few friends... not on my :pumpkin:, but on my non-cvo (09 FLHX, mostly stock, 4000 miles... I don't really ride this one much obviously). 

About an hour in the bike starts acting like It's missing... half normal power, a few backfires.  We pull off and it's obvious only one cylinder is firing.  Plugs look fine, wires look fine, no warning lights.  Friends said they smelled fuel once the prob started.  Fired it back up and it's fine.  10 minutes later it happens again and won't go back to normal.  Towed in to the shop...

The aggravating thing is my warranty expired 7/18 and I'm thinking it's the FI since the plugs were clean. 

Any ideas?  >:(

freshkeg

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
Re: TC 96 firing on one cylinder...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »

I had a 2002 road king that did the same thing, it turned out to be the wire going to the fuel injector was broken. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »

So I'm out on the hi-way yesterday with a few friends... not on my :pumpkin:, but on my non-cvo (09 FLHX, mostly stock, 4000 miles... I don't really ride this one much obviously). 

About an hour in the bike starts acting like It's missing... half normal power, a few backfires.  We pull off and it's obvious only one cylinder is firing.  Plugs look fine, wires look fine, no warning lights.  Friends said they smelled fuel once the prob started.  Fired it back up and it's fine.  10 minutes later it happens again and won't go back to normal.  Towed in to the shop...

The aggravating thing is my warranty expired 7/18 and I'm thinking it's the FI since the plugs were clean. 

Any ideas?  >:(

Does it have a Power Commander installed?  If so, you can unplug it for a short while to see if that lets it back on both cylinders.  I had one do this to me on my '08 SERK and it was indeed a bad PCIII.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »

It's stock except for SE slip-ons and a Ness big sucker.  For some reason no tuning was needed.  Ran perfectly til yesterday...

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »

About an hour in the bike starts acting like It's missing... half normal power, a few backfires.  We pull off and it's obvious only one cylinder is firing.  Plugs look fine, wires look fine, no warning lights.  Friends said they smelled fuel once the prob started.  Fired it back up and it's fine.  10 minutes later it happens again and won't go back to normal.  Towed in to the shop...

Any ideas?  >:(
if you're a regular customer at that dealer, ask the service manager if he woold apply for a GOODWILL with the MOCO

while the bike is running, reach behind the throttle body and find the injector wire and wiggle it, see if it makes a difference.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:06:12 PM by LarryB »
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »

If it FI, I wouldn't think your Buddy would smell gas. So you puled the plugs and neither was wet? Would check for spark on each plug wire.

Craig

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »

Both plugs were dry...  Spark present. 
Hope the goodwill idea works.   
Cause things going at 4k is BS!

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »

Does the 96" TC have the "Parade Duty" function that H-D was kind enough to install as a standard feature on my '08 FXDSE ??

Front or rear cylinder firing ? If it is only firing on front cylinder, it is likely stuck in parade duty.

I had less than 1000 miles on mine when it began firing on one cylinder one day, was convinced I had already "screwed the pooch" !  I had to override this function via my tuner, I never want to hear that sound again !
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:08:24 PM by Shovelhead »
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »

could be a number of things. swap the crank sensor for a known good one. Like the one on that CVO LOL.
just something easy to try, eliminate that then move on .

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »

Did you check for diagnostic codes?

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:05:13 AM »

do you have any compression in both cylinders?
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.