Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal to burn a quart oil in 1000 miles  (Read 3348 times)

Thumper007

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Is it normal to burn a quart oil in 1000 miles
« on: April 29, 2006, 09:45:54 PM »

I checked my oil and I have burned a quart of oil in 1000 miles is this normal.  I did the 1000 mile check with harley and everything was fine.  I have 4000 mile on my bike now.  I did go to Florida for a week and took advantage of the higher speed limits, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks Barbie,

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Re: Is it normal to burn a quart oil in 1000 miles
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 05:20:18 AM »

Yes that is excessive to say the least! Are you sure you are checking the level correctly? How are you checking it? Is it blowing any smoke? How much oil did it use in the first 3000 miles?

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Thumper007

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 08:14:02 AM »

I checked the oil myself and no it has never used oil like this before I checked it while we were in Flordia and it was fine I rode about 900 miles while we were there and bike ran fine and I checked the oil while I was there and it was fine. It was cold when we came back so I did not ride the bike till about 2 weeks ago.  I checked the oil last night and had to add a quart.  The bike is not blowing any smoke. Could I be rideing the bike to hard.  My boyfriend has a eg 103 se and we are always trying to get to the next place first.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »

I checked the oil myself and no it has never used oil like this before I checked it while we were in Flordia and it was fine I rode about 900 miles while we were there and bike ran fine and I checked the oil while I was there and it was fine. It was cold when we came back so I did not ride the bike till about 2 weeks ago.  [highlight]I checked[/highlight] [highlight]the oil last night and had to add a quart.[/highlight]  The bike is not blowing any smoke. Could I be rideing the bike to hard.  My boyfriend has a eg 103 se and we are always trying to get to the next place first.

Was it the motor hot or cold when you checked it
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:30:10 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 05:25:28 PM »

I just got back from Laughlin and put 1320 miles on my bike over the weekend.  I used about 1/8" on the dipstick.  That is all and we were constantly running in the 80-90mph range.  I tached between 3200-3600 the entire trip.  

I would guess your oil consumption is somewhat high.  Total mileage on bike so far is around 7500 miles.  It will be a year old in July.
Love my '05

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 06:01:18 PM »

I just got back from Laughlin and put 1320 miles on my bike over the weekend.  I used about 1/8" on the dipstick.  That is all and we were constantly running in the 80-90mph range.  I tached between 3200-3600 the entire trip.  

I would guess your oil consumption is somewhat high. [highlight] Total mileage on bike so far is around 7500 miles.  It will be a year old in July.
[/highlight]

Dave, what's up? Hey, what was the brand of syn oil you were going to use next oil change? You mentioned our SE SYN 3 wasn't that great overall, and I want the best oil for my SEFB. So, please inform me (again)?
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 06:36:10 PM »

I'm going with Mobile 1 V-Twin oil, 20W-50.  Full synthetic and available at any Autozone.  If they don't have it on the shelf they can order it through their main warehouse.  

I may stick with Syn 3 in the primary for now.  At least until I use my last couple of quarts.

The trans continues to get Redline Shockproof Heavy.  Great stuff.

Hope all is well.  

Dave
Love my '05

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 11:04:09 PM »

Thumper, likely won't make any difference.  But working from the notion of "always try the cheapest and easiest things first" start the bike and let it idle for a minute or two.  Then shut it down and check it again.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.