Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CD vibration dampeners  (Read 2239 times)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
CD vibration dampeners
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:39:47 PM »

This is a repost to maybe target the readers better.

I took the wife's CD changer out of her SERG over the weekend.  It skips really bad, so she can't use it.  After taking it apart, I found 4 "pods" that dampen the vibrations and 2 springs that probably take some of the load off the pods.  The pods are nothing more that flexible flattened spheres filled with a viscous fluid.  The outer portion plugs into the mounting chassis, while the actual changer unit has studs that poke into a receptacle in the center of the pod.  Sounds like it's much more complicated than it actually is.  It's a VERY simple design.  Anyway, I've pretty well determined the unit is a JVC series CH-X****, but I'm having some trouble locating a good JVC parts source.  I think I can probably get the springs locally, but the pods (which may truly be called "vibration dampners") are only goning to be available from JVC or the like.  I'll lay odds that EVERY mobile changer unit has something similar.  Anybody know of a good electronic parts source???  I'm currently working/exploring Crutchfield, with slight success.  They apparently want ~$23 each for the pods.  For $135 we can send the unit back to Radio Sound for an exchange.  But the @$$holes at Radio Sound are such pr!(!(s, that I'd rather not give them a dime.  Thanks for your assistance!!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: CD vibration dampeners
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:22:46 PM »

So here's what I've come up with so far.  The dampeners are JVC part#LV30451-002A, at $22.73 each.  You can order them direct from JVC's website.  They have the best shipping rates of anyplace I found selling the dampeners ($9 for 2nd day).  When you get your unit apart (which isn't all that difficult), you may find a broken spring or 2.  There's one on each side of the unit, acting as true supports; while the dampeners do just that, only minimize the movement.  You can buy them from JVC for about $5 each or you can go to Ace Hardware and pick up a couple of #119 springs, which will do the job just fine at $1.10 each.  Hope this helps.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Still_on2_wheels

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »

Thanks for this post. I dove into the CD changer and found 3 ruptured pods and one broken spring. I'll shop around a bit and see if there are some local sources for JVC parts.

Thanks again!

Jeff
01 FLTRSEI2, 01FLHRI, 52 Pan, 51 Pan/Shovel. -->> Looking for a pair of plumbers thread panheads <<--

Still_on2_wheels

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:14:48 AM »

Some additional info for those with these decks...

Here is the JVC link, our model is the CH-X1200, what seems to make ours unique is the 12 second shock shock proof memory.

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?productId=PRD3203000&pathId=56&archive=true

These dampners were found (used) in some car audio shops if you ask nice enough or if they do repairs. I got 4 for $5, and two springs.
The complete CD units are $130ish online new, I found one locally on Craigslist for almost nothing, just plug and go.

Since my scooter was not new when I bought it, I don't know if they came with a remote from MOCO, but guess what, a JVC remote works on this unit. Changes CDs, changes tracks...etc!

Jeff
01 FLTRSEI2, 01FLHRI, 52 Pan, 51 Pan/Shovel. -->> Looking for a pair of plumbers thread panheads <<--

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »

Can remember people complaining of skips or failed units with these a lot back when they were more common.  Did they ever perform at all satisfactorily over any extended period of time?  Or was the bike environment just too much for them requiring they too often needed to be rebuilt or at least tinkered with?

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »

When the dampners and springs are working, it takes a pretty good hit to cause a skip.  If they're not up to snuff, anything will cause a skip.  At least that's what we found with ours.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »

When the dampners and springs are working, it takes a pretty good hit to cause a skip.  If they're not up to snuff, anything will cause a skip.  At least that's what we found with ours.

Thanks John.  Can remember hearing the complaints so regularly about them several years ago couldn't help but wonder if they were actually worthwhile or just never really behaved well at all.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.