Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine oil and noise ????  (Read 1171 times)

blw

Engine oil and noise ????
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:39:41 PM »

I have an 09  SERG,stock except for Fullsacs and drilling out the cc. Adding a SERT tomorrow. Engine seems to have a lot of top end noise. At 800 miles I changed from Harley Syn oil to Mobil 1, and now with 2000 miles there is no difference in the noise. The noise is mostly in the 2800 to 3500 range. Are there any oils that would truly quiten some of this noise down { changing back to regular dino oil , etc. } or is that just mostly hear say and personal preference ? Thanks for any help !!  BW

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
Re: Engine oil and noise ????
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »

My 07 SERK also makes a lot of top end noise, like valve or rocker arm clatter. Kind of sounds like a sewing machine sometimes. The dealer replaced the rocker housings with an updated version with more spring clearance (yours should have that as its an 09) and installed adjustable push rods. Same noise from about 2000-3000 rpm. It seems to vary sometimes though. I've heard it may have something to do with the short piston skirts on the pistons they use in the 110. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 and although it is quieter, its still noisy. I took it to an independent Harley mechanic to have him listen and he said he doesn't think the noise is something to worry about. In fact, he said mine was quieter than some of the 88/95 c.i. engines he's heard.
2011 FLHXSE2

blw

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:35:24 AM »

Thanks David, It is just aggravating when you pay that much for a motorcycle and it has issues like that !!    BLW

eddfive

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:19:05 AM »

A lot of times there can be a lean spot or rich spot that will make the engine noise louder.  Lean is usually a metal type sound and rich is usually a deeper "banging" kind of a sound.  I would suggest getting the bike tuned properly and then see what noises you have.  Not saying the tune is the fix all for noise, I have seen it improve the noise when both cylinders are balanced.  Just doing a canned map may not make any chnage or improvement.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 09:12:06 AM »

I agree with eddfive, My 07 came with HD SYN3 then i went to dino then and now running Mobil 1 V-Twin, the Mobil 1 seems to run quitier than the other two, but really do not think you can get all he noise out, i think its just the nature of the BEAST. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »

Try some Redline 50W.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »

I have not found any difference in the noise on mine with different oils, SYN3, Castrol GTX, Mobil 1 V-Twin.  Still sounds like an iron Sportster.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »

I'm sure Hoist will chime in here - he swears that his engine made more noise after he switch to syn...but then he also flattened out a lobe on his came and trashed his motor.

I think the bennies of syn outweigh any noise difference...  My dad who I got my SERK from, was in the construction and racing oil industry for a good part of his adult life, and swore by Mobil 1, and he had access to hi-perf dino stuff and still went the Mobil 1 route.  Its what I use in the SERK, but I changed over to Redline in the tranny and primary case - with great results.

that's my .02

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »

If it is equipped with adj pushrods, set 'em at .140-.150" into the lifter.
May want to consider a spring or shim as well.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »

I just did my 1K service myself. Changed the bike over to Royal Purple 20w50 MaxCycle in the engine and transmission and 10w30 in the primary. Noticable improvement in shifting and tranny noise, and a slight quieting of the upper engine noise.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.