Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Torque Wrench Shopping  (Read 3296 times)

elky72ss454

Re: Torque Wrench Shopping
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 12:57:53 AM »

If you are a tool junkie, you will have a drawer full of torque wrenches with an assortment of these combinations.  Most important, though, is don't go cheap.  Buy a quality torque wrench, cause most of the cheap ones are real junk.  I would recommend Snap On. 

happy shopping.... :2vrolijk_21:

That is good sound advice. I am a tool junkie. I am a charter member of tools anonymous! We have meetings every thursday night. See ya there!  :2vrolijk_21:

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »

That is good sound advice. I am a tool junkie. I am a charter member of tools anonymous! We have meetings every thursday night. See ya there!  :2vrolijk_21:
I certainly don't want to curb your enthusiasm for tools but you must know I have already won and I don't have to die to claim the prize. I am the triple crown tool junkie!!!! :orange: :mango: :bananarock:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »

I certainly don't want to curb your enthusiasm for tools but you must know I have already won and I don't have to die to claim the prize. I am the triple crown tool junkie!!!! :orange: :mango: :bananarock:

yeah, but you cheated when you bought/owned the store!

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »

I was a MAC tools distributor for many years and sold a lot of torque wrenches and the MAC tools wrenches are as good as Snap On or any other.  The most important thing to remember is you must take proper care of them.  Always reset the wrench back to zero (click type) to take the pressure off the springs and every wrench needs recalibration.  Most shops would have there Snap-On and Mac tools wrenches sent in once a year.  Don't know about Craftsman or how good they are.  I do know the Proto Torque wrench was also a very high quality wrench.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »

yeah, but you cheated when you bought/owned the store!
Ya well , your MAMA . I think I would win just by all the tools in the Barn , Garage, and House. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:44:02 PM by BIGDOG »
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »

I was a MAC tools distributor for many years and sold a lot of torque wrenches and the MAC tools wrenches are as good as Snap On or any other.  The most important thing to remember is you must take proper care of them.  Always reset the wrench back to zero (click type) to take the pressure off the springs and every wrench needs recalibration.  Most shops would have there Snap-On and Mac tools wrenches sent in once a year.  Don't know about Craftsman or how good they are.  I do know the Proto Torque wrench was also a very high quality wrench.

I use to buy Snap-On, until I had a ratchet go bad and the rep wanted me to buy a rebuild kit for it. I asked him why I would buy that when they have a guarantee on the ratchet! This was when I was about 19, so a long time ago, and I still have some of my Snap-On ratchets. I also have a lot of Craftsman tools including my torque wrench. If I have a problem with a Craftsman hand tool I take it back and they give me another one, no questions asked.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »

If your not doing any motor stuff, other then case covers, the Digital Sears brand does just fine.. get both inch and pound version. If your going to do motor or trannie work or plan too then yes, go with Snap On....

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »

If your not doing any motor stuff, other then case covers, the Digital Sears brand does just fine.. get both inch and pound version. If your going to do motor or trannie work or plan too then yes, go with Snap On....

I do motor stuff all the time with my Craftsmen wrench, bearing caps, rod bearings, I think it does just fine. Haven;t had anything fail yet, at least not from a cap, or rod. We have torn up a lot of stuff on the jeeps! :(

elky72ss454

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »

I used to use a lot of Crafstman tools. I do maintenance work in a papermill. Mechanic,pipefitter,millwright. When you get tired of driving to Sears to get tools replaced, buy Snap-on. They can be broken but you will break way more Crafstmans than Snap-on. I had a certain Crafstman wrench I used everyday.I'd break it about every two weeks. Got tired of that and bought a Snap-on.  I have never broken it to this day. Sometimes you get what you pay for.  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »

I do motor stuff all the time with my Craftsmen wrench, bearing caps, rod bearings, I think it does just fine. Haven;t had anything fail yet, at least not from a cap, or rod. We have torn up a lot of stuff on the jeeps! :(

Similar reaction to the Craftsman digital wrench.  Had to buy a new torque wrench when the guts stripped out of an old one several months back.  Only thing I could find that measured by right hand and left hand thread (that I didn't have to wait on to arrive) was this nice long handled digital torque wrench from Sears. 

First thing I did with it was pull it across ranges from pretty low to  200 ft pds hooked to a calibrator.  Was very pleasantly surprised.  Was as accurate as any other "good" torque wrench I've ever had.  Very very precise.  Had a bit of variance when working left hand thread.  But even then never more than 4%.

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »

You can debate this stuff all day, go with what works for you. It's like what exhaust is the best, or where's the best place to live. If everyone wanted to live in the same place it would get a bit crowed!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 06:44:25 AM »

Good thread, needs new life.
Hold a full beer in one hand, wrench in the other, any old kind, snap-off, crapsman, sactool, And turn it till the beer starts to spill,warning:Do not go beyond this, excess spillage will invoke a citation from the beer police.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 06:52:51 AM »

Good thread, needs new life.
Hold a full beer in one hand, wrench in the other, any old kind, snap-off, crapsman, sactool, And turn it till the beer starts to spill,warning:Do not go beyond this, excess spillage will invoke a citation from the beer police.

Larry you forgot Scatter-Kill
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.