Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KW Shield fitted to SERG Gasket  (Read 2153 times)

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
KW Shield fitted to SERG Gasket
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »

Had the KW sitting in the corner staring at me asking for another chance. I decided to fit it to the stock gasket. The fit is not perfect to my standards but doesn't look all that bad. I think it is acceptable, a 9 out of 10. I had the itch to hot rod the look again. The back corners come up a little short but the gasket fills in nicely.  :2vrolijk_21:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: KW Shield fitted to SERG Gasket
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:03:23 AM »

Little cabin fever in Appleton?
Mine never had a prob with Gasket, just function
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

nautilus

• CVO1: 2009 FLTSE3 Slvr/Tit.
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHPI
    • CVO3: 2004 FLSTFI
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »

Had the KW sitting in the corner staring at me asking for another chance. I decided to fit it to the stock gasket. The fit is not perfect to my standards but doesn't look all that bad. I think it is acceptable, a 9 out of 10. I had the itch to hot rod the look again. The back corners come up a little short but the gasket fills in nicely.  :2vrolijk_21:

I recently ordered and recieved a KW 8" Solid Black windshield for my 09 SERG.  I was told not to use the rubber gasket that came stock on the bike.  When I instaled the shield, the holes did not line up which made it impossible to install without sections bowing up...   I was really worried that I was going to strip out the plastic screws that hold it in place.

Anyone else find KW windshields doing this same thing..?  And should I or shouldn't I be using the stock gasket that ships with the bike..?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »

My KW 12 in shield did not fit correctly, flopped around at idle, and had more turbulance then my stock shield.. its long gone.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »

I had mine originally with the 12" KW and stock gasket and may go back to that for the summer.  Very nice look.  Note the service manual advises that you install the well nuts into the windshield first (front and back) and then insert into the fairing and tighten.  That's the only way a KW shield will go on. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:04:12 PM »

I did have to cut off the bottom 1/4 inch, fit the shield and drill new mounting holes. This shield is fitted to the stock SERG gasket... not the edge gasket from a standard road glide. :2vrolijk_21:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

nautilus

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »

At the risk of sounding stupid...  my question is...   on my 2009 SERG do I leave the stock gasket on or off when attaching the windshield..?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »

Oooooooooh ,
i took loctite to mount the shield , now i have to remove the fairing again because i can`t drill out the screws anymore , the rubbermounts turn while drilling the screw , oh damn , I am an absolute beginner , but maybe sometimes in future time i will know all the tricky tricks , (perhaps ) .
grumblegrumble ???
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05:39 AM »

I just got back from a highway ride and no vibration with the KW at all. rock solid. the full SERG gasket made all the difference.  :2vrolijk_21:

nautilus

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »

I just got back from a highway ride and no vibration with the KW at all. rock solid. the full SERG gasket made all the difference.  :2vrolijk_21:

Are you using the stock gasket that is on the 2009 SERG..?  When I called KW they told me to take it off and not use it...  That may be where I'm getting confused.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:04 AM »

Are you using the stock gasket that is on the 2009 SERG..?  When I called KW they told me to take it off and not use it...  That may be where I'm getting confused.

Use the stock SERG gasket.  Worked fine for me. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »

Mine was off a mile and didn't come close to fitting the stock SERG gasket. I know it was not intended to, unless the design has changed since mine was produced last fall.  The KW is to be installed with the 1/2" wide standard Road Glide gasket. I trimmed and drilled for a fit to the SERG gasket. Hello Buffeting....but at least It looks hot rod cool. :2vrolijk_21: 

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.