Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hard starting all of a sudden?  (Read 3422 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Hard starting all of a sudden?
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:53:01 AM »

Weird thing...

Last couple of times I took it out, it seems to be getting progressively worse with the cold starting. This morning it took at least 15 seconds to finally fire. Once it's started, it runs great and it'll restart fine. It always used to fire almost immediately?

The battery is good, and the normal maint was done at the beginning of the season, plugs, etc. While I do have the extended warranty, everytime I let the HD bozo's get near it, I find a new scratch, so I'd like to solve it myself.

I have to assume I'm getting good spark, so it's gotta be the fuel. Perhaps the fuel pump is leaking down and the prime isn't enough to fully pressurize the line. I think I'll try cycling the switch a couple of times before I hit start to see if that helps.

Anyone run into something like this? Weird...   :confused5: :nixweiss: :(
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Re: Hard starting all of a sudden?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »

You might want to pull the spark plugs...maybe they're fouled.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »

Yeah, that's on the list but at 9,200 miles and 4 changes, they've always came out perfect. Again, once it starts it runs great and I'm not getting any breaking up, so it really seems to be situational in nature?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »

Well I gave it a solid 2 day lay up and tried it again this morning. I did 2 cycles of the key and fuel pump prime and it fired immediately. Soooo, the fuel is either draining back into the tank, or I have a dirty injector and it's washing the cylinder(s). I suspect the later. I figure I'll give it a good high percentage Seafoam treatment and see how that works before replacing them. I figured I'd try to keep you all updated in the event anyone runs into the same thing.  :2vrolijk_21:

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »

Well I gave it a solid 2 day lay up and tried it again this morning. I did 2 cycles of the key and fuel pump prime and it fired immediately. Soooo, the fuel is either draining back into the tank, or I have a dirty injector and it's washing the cylinder(s). I suspect the later. I figure I'll give it a good high percentage Seafoam treatment and see how that works before replacing them. I figured I'd try to keep you all updated in the event anyone runs into the same thing.  :2vrolijk_21:
Been having that same situation since 10k service and fuel shell recall. 08 SERK used to start immediately  :nixweiss:

biz44

• F-around...F-around, soon you wont be around!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »

The fuel pressure return line already drains back into the tank. What does it sound like when your cranking it over? Is the battery strong, or does it take its time to turn the engine over?
Smell your oil.....see if you smell raw gas in it. You cant hurt anything cleaning the fuel system up a bit with some Seafoam. You could also try a normal ratio of fuel:Seafoam and run a tank or two that way....?
03'FXSTD-SE CVO Screaming Eagle Deuce.
 08'FLHX Street Glide in Dark Blue Pearl.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »

The battery is the original one but it's always been tendered, so it's in relatively good shape. This typically only happened after a few day lay off. However, the situation did seem to improve after a high dose Seafoam treatment. Weather has been crappy and had some business travel too, so it's been a couple of weeks. I'll see how she reacts this weekend. Unfortunately, I'm running out of season quickly.

Anyway, are you saying the regulator is set to release pressure to the return when the ignition is off?

biz44

• F-around...F-around, soon you wont be around!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:50:37 PM »

Anyway, are you saying the regulator is set to release pressure to the return when the ignition is off?

Everything resides inside the fuel tank...pump, regulator, housings, and filter ....so any excess presure goes directly back into the tank....and there is no "return" line because everything is in the tank already.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted as to your results. BTW....have you ever cleaner the fuel filter screen?
03'FXSTD-SE CVO Screaming Eagle Deuce.
 08'FLHX Street Glide in Dark Blue Pearl.

SE-deuced

• "Ride like you're invisible; to many you are...."

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »

Mr. McGloo,
You might want to check the fuel lines in the tank.  There was a silent recall on deuces because of a fuel line chafing issue in the tank.  When I had mine up to re-calibrate the fuel sender I found the line a little chafed but not all the way through.  I put a couple zip ties around it to prevent chafing further but yours might be all the way through.  It causes hard starting and some report a hissing sound from inside the tank when running.  Worth a look.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:31:41 AM »

MR.MAGLOO, se-deuced is on the money, if your tank is less than half

full you can here gas spraying on the left side of the tank. can be checked

with a gauge also. if thats not the problem it may be gummed up injectors,

try 4oz. of bg44k fuel injector cleaner. works great.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 02:27:41 AM »

Haha, I thought this SED forum died long ago! Seems we get a purt once every month or two to clean out the cobwebs and blow out the smoke.

Anyway, I found the problem. I've been mostly monitoring the SEUG forum and posted the following in reponse to someone reporting the same issues:

This is going to sound silly, but just happened to me. Just a couple of months ago, I was running into a hard starting issue too. I was letting the fuel pump cycle twice, and all sorts of things. Bike ran great but just took a while to get it to start. Unusual, because it always normally would start at the slightest flick. Nothing I tried helped and towards the end of the season it kept getting worse.

Two weeks ago, I got my arm twisted to do a Toys for Tots run and it wouldn't turn over at all. I had lights, but the starter turned over once, then nothing. I thought it was a circuit breaker or something?  I took off the seat and was shocked.  The negative bolt was very loose and the terminal was pretty well melted. Obviously, it had been loose for a while and arching.

I grabbed a 10MM wrench and tightened it up, and boom, it started immediately again. Naturally, I have to replace the battery, but seems this was the problem all along. I just can't figure why it never stuttered after it started like this?

I'd give that a check as this sounds real similar. 

I will however check those fuel lines!  Thanks!

yellow

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »

I think I had this problem and did everything that has been suggested. Turned out to be the throttle body. All of a sudden it started idling high. The only other problem I have had is rust in the oil tank. I now keep a magnet in the oil.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »

Good afernoon yellow

:welcome_005: on the CVO website  :2vrolijk_21:

It would be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread New member introduction
with a pic of your bike  ;)

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.