Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLHRSE4 Tachometer malfunctioning  (Read 2084 times)

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
FLHRSE4 Tachometer malfunctioning
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:25:53 AM »

Has anybody else experienced this?

It will operate normally and then all of a sudden it will start reading several hundred rpm lower than what you are actually reving.

I took a video of it last night to prove to the service manager it was happening because when I told him what it was doing I got the typical Harley answer " I'll have to check with Harley" .

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: FLHRSE4 Tachometer malfunctioning
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:38:35 AM »

The '07 SERKs had problems, but it wasn't like you are describing.  On those it would zero out at about 800 rpm when you turned the ignition on and always read high.  The stepper motor was the problem then (Chinese or Mexican probably) and required replacing the entire spedometer/tachometer assembly.  Evidently it is not possible to replace parts any more.  This shouldn't be a hassle; it's not working right, replace it under warranty.  I wonder if there is a "normal" range for these, like +/- 1000 rpm?  There is for every other problem they have.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:18:45 PM »

After sending the service manager the video of my malfunctioning tach he said "Harley says I have to bring the bike in, hook it up to the diagnostic and figure out if it is the ecm or the tach" I said BS because it might not even do it while you have the bike, plus he doesn't have the parts to replace even if he determines which is the culprit. I got HD's number from him and called, expressed my extreme disatisfaction with the HD process of troubleshooting and she called my dealer and told him to go ahead and order a replacement speedo/tach.

My bike is still leaking oil after a gasket change and a recall gasket change, the starter is dying and Harley acts like all their customers have to do is screw around trying to get them to fix there product.

If I could ever get Harley to finish working on my bike I would like it but it's just too big of a hassle screwing around with all the problems. This will be the last Harley I ever buy.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »

Speed sensor?

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:10:41 AM »

My FLHRSE4 was doing almost the same thing. While I would be riding, the rpm would drop to almost half of what it should be. I found sometimes if I would pull over and shut the bike off, let it sit for a bit and then start it up again it would read the correct rpm. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when it chose to malfunction. I reported it to my dealer during my 5,000 mile checkup and they ran a diagnostics and searched the codes. They didn't find anything wrong so they ordered a new tach. I recently had the bike in for the tach replacement along with the gasket recall and a new set of handlebars. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. I also had them looking at my throttle dead spot or lack of power comming off of idle and the uneven tire wear on the front tire. The tech had the bike on the dyno and admitted there is a dead spot. He also told me that they have had more complaints about that besides me. As of right now I am waiting for nice weather to test out my new tach. The dealer is talking to Harley to find out what can be done about tires and the throttle. My dealer seems to be trying to work things out for me so far. I hope I am not getting the stall treatment. Good luck!   
Keep your knees to the breeze

HogDoc

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:49:32 PM »

Welcome to the world of Harley Beta testing. My FLHRSE3 had the very first reported tach issues with randomly reading high and not setting to zero with the ignition off. Well I had to go thru 4 tachs, yep 4 of them with loads of don't know what the problem is until enough people reported the problem to Harley to get the maufacture of the speedo to fix the defective tachs. My advice is to report, wait, and bypass the dealer and go to the CVO rep to get the real scoop. That is what I did. The CVO rep at Harley is Phil at the time and his # is (414) 343-8455 His cell # is (262) 617-3364. Hope that helps.
2007 SERK, Custom dynamics LED turn/brake. HIDS, Wizard LED show lights, Roller rockers, extra chrome goodies

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:43:52 AM »

I bought the same unit for  a Dyna I had and in my case the tachometer was not the problem; it was even worse, one day I started up the bike and instead of reading the 2.000 miles it had, it went to read 555478 miles!! Had passed the warranty H-D has for accessories (60 or 90 days), so they just told me they could sell me another one  :soapbox:
I sold the bike as it was, informing the buyer about it. Eventually he came back to me and told me that they had told him at an H-D dealer that the mile count was correct and that I had fooled the new owner. More than 500 thousand miles on a 2008  Immaculate Dyna  :'( . Since then I have not talked to the new owner because he treated me as liar and worse things apart from that.

What I really hate from H-D is that they knew there were several issues with that unit, but they still sell it and cross their fingers so the claim comes after the warranty period expires  :-[
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »

That's pretty good, if you had it a year you averaged a little over 63 mph 24 hours a day, every day.  I hope you at least got an Iron Butt patch out of it.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »

Welcome to the world of Harley Beta testing
  :huepfenlol2:

We MUST keep our sense of humor and the abusurd to deal with the Mother Ship.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Screamin Freedom

• CVO1: 2017 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »

Hi, new to the site!!  My FLHRSE3 odometer went on my bike around 2500 miles.  Shut it off to get gas, turned it on the odometer read 235763 miles!! Big Jump!! Went to Boston Harley told them what happened,  took the bike for a couple of days and replaced it free.  had the bike for one year.  I do have the extended warranty thank god!  No problems with gaskets and oil.
SuperTrapp 2:1 fatshots
Cyclerama 460 cam
Trask high flow breather
Power Commander V

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.