Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: California smog testing  (Read 552 times)

mike45

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Black & Silver
California smog testing
« on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »

OK, so there is a high possibility I will end up being stationed in California in the next 2 years and I'm curious about emissions and smog testing. 

If I bring my vehicles into the state of California, but they are registered in ND, my state of residence, do I have to get them smog tested and do they have to meet California's emissions standards? 

The California DMV section regarding military personnel doesn't exactly answer my question.
2008 SERK
TTS Mastertune
Bub 7 True Dual w/crossover

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: California smog testing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »

NO smog at this time! But the "Know-It-All" elected officials have that in front of them as I type. Hope it doesn't pass. In order to register an out of state bike here, it has to have 7k miles on it, may be 7.5K? There is the California bikes and 49 States bikes. Please let us know your station so we can show some hospitality. Welcome Home..Dave

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: California smog testing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

Motorcycles aren't smog checked at this time.  But like Dave said, that bill is in front of them right now. :nixweiss:

As for your other vehicles (car, truck, etc.) if they're registered in your state you don't have anything to worry about.  I believe that the law reads that you have to change your vehicle registration within twenty days of moving to Calif.  However, since you would not be a "resident" of this state, that may not apply to you.

If a person from another state (that's not in the military) moves to Calif. they have to register their vehicles however their vehicles are not going to meet Calif. emisssions since they didn't come from the factory with what is commonly referred to as "Calif. emissions".  You pay a sur charge per vehicle, but I don't remember what that is......seems like it was $500 but I could be totally wrong on that. :nixweiss:

In short,  I wouldn't worry to much about it.  They don't pull over every vehicle in Calif. with out of state plates.  I know a member of this forum that's been riding his SEEG for a couple of years and it's still not registered here in Calif. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.