Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Critique of my new RG  (Read 929 times)

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
Critique of my new RG
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »

Coming off of an 08' RG my critique will be different from those that came off other bikes. To sum it up. It was worth it. Some hardcore Harley riders would probably be disappointed because it doesn't ride like one.
This bike is rock solid. The stock power is adequate but I can't stand to leave it alone. I will be doing the Fullsac mod and remove the cats. I got the base SESRT map. The bike is a little hotter than my 08' but not intolerable. I just took it out for a short spin down some mild twisties. Very much more stable than my 08'. I didn't think there would be that much difference. The suspension seems stiffer and the ride a little rougher however I had the shocks at 50# and was riding by myself. I will see what the ride is like with my wife on the back. I can't wait to put some more miles on this baby. Gotta go, the road is calling. T.
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Re: Critique of my new RG
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »

Great feedback... can't wait to get mine in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

OK got more to add. After 30 miles my ass was hurtin, my shoulders were aching, I almost dropped the bike twice at stoplights because my calves were hitting my wife's feet, I can't see over my old Clearview windshield that I took off my 08' RG and it seemed like the bike bottoms out very easy even with 50# in the shocks. I found myself almost lugging the motor because the exhaust is so quit I couldn't hear it like my 96 with the True Duals.

So I think the solution is to change out the seat. That will probably take care of the windshield and ass problem and may even cure my shoulder problem. Might need to change out the bars for the shoulder problem. The problem with me hitting my wife's feet is due to the pegs being out way farther than the floorboards. After reading other posts about the bottoming out problem, it looks like either the MOCO will have to address that one or one of the aftermarket companies will jump on it. The lugging problem will be fixed by the exhaust. I was riding with shorts in 80 degree weather in shorts and did notice the monster does run a little hotter than the 96. I will have to fix the seat, windshield, and handlebar problem before I take it on a trip.

And I thought I wasn't going to have to spend a bunch of change on this scoot like all my others. What is wrong with me?

Any input or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks, T.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 08:49:27 PM by Big-T »
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!

Dunwurkin

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:39 PM »

Coming off of an 08' RG my critique will be different from those that came off other bikes. To sum it up. It was worth it. Some hardcore Harley riders would probably be disappointed because it doesn't ride like one.
This bike is rock solid. The stock power is adequate but I can't stand to leave it alone. I will be doing the Fullsac mod and remove the cats. I got the base SESRT map. The bike is a little hotter than my 08' but not intolerable. I just took it out for a short spin down some mild twisties. Very much more stable than my 08'. I didn't think there would be that much difference. The suspension seems stiffer and the ride a little rougher however I had the shocks at 50# and was riding by myself. I will see what the ride is like with my wife on the back. I can't wait to put some more miles on this baby. Gotta go, the road is calling. T.

I'm still in break-in mode but the change from my 06 RG to the 09 SERG is dramatic.  The electronic throttle takes a bit of getting used to, I feel like I'll smoke the tires in 1st and 2nd.  It's too darn quiet, but after a year of riding, I'll change that to a nice rumble, not too loud. I put on a custom 12" high CV and it's great. It handles beautifully.  Best decision was to get this bike. When I picked it up, was on the 4 lane and looked down, still in 5th and doing 120 KM's, shifted to 6th and it seemed like it was idling at that speed.  Awesome!

Dunwurkin

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »

OK got more to add. After 30 miles my ass was hurtin, my shoulders were aching, I almost dropped the bike twice at stoplights because my calves were hitting my wife's feet, I can't see over my old Clearview windshield that I took off my 08' RG and it seemed like the bike bottoms out very easy even with 50# in the shocks. I found myself almost lugging the motor because the exhaust is so quit I couldn't hear it like my 96 with the True Duals.

So I think the solution is to change out the seat. That will probably take care of the windshield and ass problem and may even cure my shoulder problem. Might need to change out the bars for the shoulder problem. The problem with me hitting my wife's feet is due to the pegs being out way farther than the floorboards. After reading other posts about the bottoming out problem, it looks like either the MOCO will have to address that one or one of the aftermarket companies will jump on it. The lugging problem will be fixed by the exhaust. I was riding with shorts in 80 degree weather in shorts and did notice the monster does run a little hotter than the 96. I will have to fix the seat, windshield, and handlebar problem before I take it on a trip. Any input or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks, T.

Oh ya,  I'll change the seat too!  You're right, it hurts. 

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:59:25 PM »

So I think the solution is to change out the seat. That will probably take care of the windshield and ass problem and may even cure my shoulder problem. Might need to change out the bars for the shoulder problem. The problem with me hitting my wife's feet is due to the pegs being out way farther than the floorboards. After reading other posts about the bottoming out problem, it looks like either the MOCO will have to address that one or one of the aftermarket companies will jump on it. The lugging problem will be fixed by the exhaust. I was riding with shorts in 80 degree weather in shorts and did notice the monster does run a little hotter than the 96. I will have to fix the seat, windshield, and handlebar problem before I take it on a trip.

And I thought I wasn't going to have to spend a bunch of change on this scoot like all my others. What is wrong with me?

Any input or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks, T.

Big-T i have an 08 tr set up like a tour-glide. :2vrolijk_21:

i have a fltrse3 with about 8k on the clock, yes i have put a few $$ in it and have a few more to go. traxxion is next.
you'll get alot of first hand info here,  watch yer credit card :coolblue:

the 08 was my first tr, and i'm never looking back. the serg just keeps getting better.

good luck.

TN

:worthless:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »

I put about 1000 km on the bike last week. Most of the ride was on small mountain roads here in Turkey. Suspention bottoms on those kinda back roads.On the other hand shocks are great on highway.Very smooth highway ride.

A windshield is a must and i have an order on clearview.I am very happy with the handling, as i said before it feels different than older touring line of harley.It handles as good as a beemer or goldwing and maybe better.It buids confidence in a very short time and i am pushing the bike more than i ever pushed my 06 fatboy.

ABS is incredible.I advise everybody to watch the DVD that came with the bike and learn how to properly operate the new system.After a bit of practice i got used to it.It works great and now theres a use for the back tire while braking hard.The only downside could be when you change to a non ABS bike since it buid confidence and a change in breaking habits.

For now I am happy the way bike sounds.I got thunderheaders on the fatboy so its really loud.I didnt decide if i should change the pipes or leave it as it is.I love the harley rumble but i am lookin for a less noisy solution then my fatboy for sure.

Power of the bike on stock configuration is very good.It feels like the tork is endless and for a short period i went from 120km to 160 almost in no time.

I guess i will ride it as it is for a while than see what i could do with the bike. :drink:
Ridin Legend

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »

Big T,

The passanger foot pegs can be mounted at three different hights, so that may help with that issue.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.