Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Harley Dealers Get A Bad Rap!  (Read 2664 times)

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
Why Harley Dealers Get A Bad Rap!
« on: October 31, 2005, 09:46:57 AM »

So...

If you're regular reader of this bored (intentional), you know I've been having some issues with my bike.
I have been chasing down this tach issue for over a month now, and just last week...the bike started missing.
So, I decided to replace my ignition module, coil, plugs, wires...and procured a new tach as well.

First of all...beware. If you own an FXR2-3-4, the Screamin' Eagle ignition module your dealer will try to give you, is not the one for our bike. In the Screamin' Eagle catalog, the model number ignition module is supposed to be for FLH and other touring bikes, AND "other 1340 Evolutions".

The module for our bike can only be found online at the Harley website. When I informed the dealership that they gave me the wrong module, they were shocked. They had to add the actual module number to their system.

So I get the module, coil, plugs,wires etc done....bike is still bucking. Turns out...my positive battery cable has chit the bed. So...last night I'm with a few friends at what they refer to as "After Midnight Cycles"...which is my friend's garage. We seek out new cables, and then decide my stock breather sucks. So, install a K&N high flow air filter system on it, but need to fabricate a middle bracket to reattach the stock air filter cover.

When all's said and done...we found out that the tach I have is for an FXE...so that's not useful, and that the pink signal wire was frayed down by the boot...so we fabricated new wiring via solder, and shrink wrap.

Once my buddy gets here, and reattaches this fabricated monstrosity, we'll see if it was worth staying up until 4:30AM this morning...

My wife does not love me right now.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Why Harley Dealers Get A Bad Rap!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 09:59:06 AM »

was the existing tach the wrong one or the replacement that you picked up the FXE tach?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
    • AZ

• Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:40:45 AM »

The replacement's wrong.

It's cool though...I'm sure there's someone who can use it.

Not to self:...all 3.5" "dyna" tachs are not created equally
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:07:37 AM »

and if dealers knew their chit we wouldnt need this place................

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 11:26:28 AM »

As much as I'm sometimes willing to knock some of the poor service we get out of too many of the Harley shops I'm not sure I'd be knocking them in this case.  All the guy at the parts counter did was look up the parts and supply them as they were listed in the catalog.  On a bike that's not recent, that he doens't see regularly and that was low production to begin with it's unfair to ask him to know what goes on the bike on his own.  If that catalog is wrong it's the MoCo's fault and not the dealership's.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:30:06 AM »

but if you say i have an "FXR3", and the parts guy doesnt know what that is, hes more apt to drop "3" when he finds a part that sayas "FXR" we pay good money to be obscure, you shouldnt pay a penalty at the parts counter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 11:37:27 AM »

but if you say i have an "FXR3", and the parts guy doesnt know what that is, hes more apt to drop "3" when he finds a part that sayas "FXR" we pay good money to be obscure, you shouldnt pay a penalty at the parts counter

Agreed that we pay good many (a premium) for our singularity.  In fact we seem to enjoy our difference.  But, especially when a machine is now a few years old and wasn't even very well known when it was new, it's probably a bit much to ask that everyone else know what we've got.  A parts guy thinking generally FXR if I say FXR2 or FXR 3 is kind of part of the responsibility I bear for wanting the unique machine to begin with.

I might be skewed from the norm on this because I'm used to it with the old cars.  There you know it's up to you to make sure what the guy is selling you is, in fact, what you want.  But uniqueness carries a responsibility.  Part of that responsibility is unfamiliarity.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 01:03:54 PM »

Two Lane is right on. That's why I spend the $'s and buy the parts and service manuals and the electrical trouble shooting manuals for whatever is in my garage. It pays to know what to tell the dealer, that most of them should know anyway. I've found them to be helpful for the most part, but with all the variances in models, they're limited to the information on their system. A lot of times, I've lucked out with questioning some of the older heads in the service dept. and they have a wealth of experience as to what works and what doesn't on particular models, in spite of what the manuals or parts list say. Found the same sort of thing at the auto service counters as well. Sad state of affairs. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
    • AZ

• Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 03:50:18 PM »

I told the kid at the parts counter he was handing me the wrong module.

He said that the model I got allgedly supercedes previous model numbers.

..and just when I thought it was safe...the f*ckin front rocker box is weeping.

Apparently the aftermarket gasket isn't as good as the HD set.

Thankfully, I have extra gaskets left over from doing the rear..

WAIT...that sounds dirrrrty.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 03:50:53 PM by neanderpaul »
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 03:58:30 PM »

when those guys did that job did they torque to specs, or just by feel?

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
    • AZ

• Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 05:46:55 PM »

The rear rocker boxe4s...the ones done by the backyard mechanics...are tighter than jessica simpson's shorts...

The front box...done by a "professional" is the one leaking.

What does that say?

Professional guy at a shop does front rocker box gaskets....leaking 2 months later.

4 stoners do the rears at a party....perfect job!

That says...looking for repeat business.

My father was an auto mechanic...far be it from me to point fingers...but it is pretty suspect.

Looks like "After Midnight Cycles" is getting more work this week.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 12:28:11 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I have this thing about the poor SOB's workin the parts counters of most of the H-D dealerships. For the most part they only know what the catalogues tell them and maybe a little bit about whatever it is they ride. I do not expect them to be parts experts since their job is to sell parts as opposed to advise you on service issues. What I do is call the Factory customer service line and work my way through the system until I get someone on the line who understands the particular bike I have an issue with. Try this. You will find some really smart people who are focused on helping you. I have my issues with both my dealer and the factory at times, but usually these issues are related to someone having a bad day or maybe lookin to retire who is burnt out and doesn't give a _ _ _ _ . WIth patience and a little time it is surprising how much you can learn when you call the factory.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 01:01:39 PM »

I will make this an even sadder case for the dealers.   I went to the new Ormand Harley and needed front turn signal bulbs for my pumpkin and asked the kid there to get me 2 turned out to be 4, but that is another story.   The kid immediately grabbed a book for the Electra Glide.  First he didnt listen, second he didnt know where to look this is simply training that stumped 3 guys in his dept.   I then told him to pick up the SE Manuals from the shelf to look it up there.   He said there are no supplements its an electra glide.   I then walked behind the counter and took the manuals that were all bundled into a binder and handed it to him and asked him to now go get someone with a clue.   Needless to say they didnt have the bulbs well they had 13, but 4 people had no idea where to find them.

When looking for parts for your respect CVO or Screaming Eagle bike I would almost always make them get the Supplemental and start there otherwise you will get the part that will go to the model they thought they heard.   I find myself having very little tolerance for people who can't take the time to listen and then only hear what they want to hear vs. what I am saying.  It has almost become habit now that I force them to repeat back to me the model / year and what I am looking for, so that I am sure they listened.

2 more cents going broke like this.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 02:49:38 PM »

2 more cents going broke like this.

Harry, I completely agree.  In fact I probably have even more intolerance for the effort and accepted ignorance than you do.  So much so in fact that I only count on myself at the parts counter.  Always have the numbers with me when I present.  If I tell them specifically what (part numbers) I want they can't get it wrong and I dont' have to be frustrated or disappointed.  Accepting that low common denominator of service ability is just part of what I expect, however, for having a machine that is not the absolute norm; because the absolute norm is all you can exptect to be known by a low common denominator of training.

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 01:20:21 PM »

Seems to be a commonality with "obsolete" units as well.......you know Evo's.

I have a parts book in addition to the service manuals. I either: take the book with me, or; the part number from the book and I still get the quizzed look from the kids that finished high school after my bike was built.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 26 queries.