Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: backfire through intake  (Read 1944 times)

marsred204

• Alan
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Inferno Orange FXSTSSE2
backfire through intake
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:47:57 AM »

I am a new owner, new to the forum and my first bike is an '08 FXSTSSE2. I have experienced intermittant "sneezes" through the intake. It normally happens after around town riding. Sometimes when it happens the motor stalls. This has happened most often when leaving a light but, the most recent was between the 1-2 shift. The bike has been to two different dealers and because of the intermittant they have told me "no problem found". The bike is all stock. Has this happened to anyone else and is there a cure beside throwing more money at it with tuners and exhaust?

Alan
I'm like a rusted steel trap: I look dangerous, I just don't do much

Herko

• Junior CVO Member
Re: backfire through intake
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »

New Harley's come lean. Your symptoms are of one being very lean...at least in this off idle area.
The dealer might possibly go with a "flash" from their library. But that's a one way $149.00 whether it fully cures it or not.

Spend good money up front for a TTS Mastertune. You'll end up here anyway (or similar). It's good for the life of the bike for whatever the mods, none to wild.
Tune yourself or take bike to a competent tuner. Money well spent either way.
http://www.mastertune.net/

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:12:19 PM »

This has happened most often when leaving a light but, the most recent was between the 1-2 shift.

Hello Alan,
It might be the "Parade Mode" is activated. You can get a one time "free" download from the dealer to deactivate it.
Both of my Screamin Eagles have that feature turned off. I feel it is a unsafe feature and as I was making a right turn from
a stop sign, halfway thru the engine coughed and stalled, Just about dropped it!

There are many posts......here is one...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=29885.0

Richard

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »

The parade mode (EITMS) can and does cause hiccups when driving away from a stop, but it won't be the cause of a hiccup during a shift.  The system can only be engaged with the bike sitting still and the throttle at idle.

A bike that hiccups and threatens to stall is a safety problem and needs to be reported to H-D and to NHTSA.  If H-D chooses to blow you off, then you can either fight them or do like most of us and just fix the POS yourself.  A good tune would be the best approach, but if you don't want to go that route then perhaps just one of the Nightrider devices that fool the ECM into running a richer mixture.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.