Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leather Saddlebag Protection  (Read 1106 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Leather Saddlebag Protection
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »

Not sure if I should have posted here or in detailing. I'm sure their are many others who are facing the same dilemma that I am. I have the 08 SERK with the cheap leather saddle bags and the same for the tour pack.  As far as I'm concerned these are temporary bags and get replaced with hard bags once you can't stand to look at them any more and have the money to make the change. I love the look of real quality leather bags but these scratch and wear very easily. I've been carefull with mine but they still have numerous scratches and wear marks. I'm saving up for hard bags to match the CVO anniversary like a few others others but I'm concerned by the time I have the money my current bags and T/P won't be worth a hoot to resell? I love the look of the SERK but the standard bags just plain suck. Does anyone know any vendors that will be at Laconia this June that work in Leather? I'll take a few photos and contact Alligator Bob for advice. Does anyone have any ideas on installing any kits or products that just might dress it up and protect it at the same time?

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: Leather Saddlebag Protection
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »

I guess I'm the only one with this problem. Glad you guys have solved your saddlebags from premature damage.

Thanks Again I Guess

Ray G.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »

I use DOC BAILEY'S on mine, Keeps them from fading, Help keep the new look also waterproof's, and will help hide minor scratches, Just don't put it on your seat unless you are going to strap yourself on.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Rogue Rider

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »

I have put on over 26,000 miles on my 07 SERK traveling through Canada from Alaska to the lower 48.  Due to the harsh weather the bags have been through quite a bit.  They still look good.  However it takes a lot of maintenance to keep them that way.  I am considering swapping them to hard bags as soon as I find the ones I like for my bike. 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »

I use DOC BAILEY'S on mine, Keeps them from fading, Help keep the new look also waterproof's, and will help hide minor scratches, Just don't put it on your seat unless you are going to strap yourself on.
I have been thinking about the Doc Baileys product to do touch up wear marks on my corbin seat. They must be getting cheap on the dye as my 10 year old Corbin seat is just now getting a couple of very small wear marks through the black but my 2 year old Corbin has more already. :nixweiss:

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »

I have custom seat / saddle made by LePera. LePera referred me to LEXOL conditioner when I inquired about leather conditioners. 30,000 miles later the bags and seat look the same as they did day 1. LePera told me to stay away from conditioners with silicone.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.