Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Tour Pak Rack Light Bar installation on 09 CUSE4  (Read 2257 times)

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
HD Tour Pak Rack Light Bar installation on 09 CUSE4
« on: June 12, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »

Hi, purchased the HD LED light bar to install on the tour pak rack on my 09 CUSE4. Got the light and wires run thru to the inside of the tour pak. The install instructions now want me to connect the three wires from the light bar to three small metal pins that then have to go inside of a female recpatacle which is then connected to a male plug to complete the circuit. My problem is that it seems like the instructions are saying I need use some sort of special HD tool to crimp each pin to it's corresponding wire (black, red and blue), before those pins are inserted in their proper spot on the plastic plug assembly. Have any of you installed this kit your self? If yes, how did you accomplish this last portion of the install? Did you go and purchase HD's tool? Suggestions, besides the obvious of go have the dealer complete the install? In case you can't tell, this is very frustrating. Thanks

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: HD Tour Pak Rack Light Bar installation on 09 CUSE4
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »

Pair of needle nose pliers works just fine, if you look at the way it is supposed to be crimped do the best you can.
Take your time, there is no rush. You have to be able to put those into the plug, and if your crimp job is chit you won't be able to.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »

if your crimp job is chit you won't be able to.

Words to live by :drink: .

casper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »

I took the wires and connector to the dealership service guy crimped wires for free and then i butt spliced the wires on to the light end. works great no problems and still disconnectable.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »

Thanks guys, I stopped at my dealer on the way home from work and talked to the Service manager and his head mechanic and told them I needed mental treatment from the bs I experienced with these wire and pin connectors. After they told me the special HD crimper tool cost $350, they told me they'd take care of me tomorrow and crimp the wires to the pins and probably insert the pins in to the plastic female receptacle. Ugh.
But they did offer to take care of it for me.
Since I have both of you on the line about this, did either of you use any of that black tubing, that comes with the kit, to cover the wires before they entered the tour pak rack wire tunnel?
Also, did you seal the opening where the wires enter the TP rack with silicone?
Thanks again

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »

No I did not and don't think you should.

The plug that you pull out of the Luggage Rack.....Drill a whole into it using a small drill bit, then feed the 3 wires through it and re-use it. Your wires will be nice and snug against the railing after install. I think it works better then the suggested Caulk.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »

Great idea re-using the rubber plug.

This crimpers aren't HD specific, they can be had for about $60 at a electronics parts supplier, still a bit steep for crimping a few wires.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »

Stopped by my dealer and the service dept let me borrow the tool to crimp on the connectors...got a pretty good relationship with my service dept and they are pretty nice people.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.