Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kuryakn Panacea taillight  (Read 1892 times)

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
Kuryakn Panacea taillight
« on: November 06, 2005, 11:48:47 AM »

I switched my tail light to the smoked LED from Kuryakun. The gasket was installed correctly etc. The hole in the back of the fender for the wiring etc mixed with some riding in less than favorable conditions. IE it was raing like a mofo. Has caused the taillight to fill up with water. I had this happen with other bikes and it was simple to take off the lens wipe out the crap and reinstall it. This light has a board in the middle with the LEDS. The water had also got behind the board. I shook it out and got is as dry as possible and put it back on. Now that it's dry there is dirt all over my lights and they are dim. I tried to contact kuryakun and the response was basically no response at all. Anyone else have this type of thing happen?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 10:01:06 PM by twolanerider »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Kuryakun Pnacea taillight
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 11:56:09 AM »

Have not had the issue you describe with the light.  I do have one of their LED rear lights, it just has never got wet.  I am surprised, however, by the response you got from Kuraykyn.

I have had two occasions over the last five years or so to have some kind of warranty or service question with them.  Both times they were all but automatic.  Quick, responsive, all but proactive in getting a new piece sent out.  One time even sending more than had actually failed.  Have also only heard positive things about their consumer handling from other guys.

Even if, for some reason, they feel correct in telling you "no" they shouldn't just blow you off.  Try again, maybe you'll get a guy on the phone who is having a better day  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 11:59:26 AM »

Hey two lane! I am thinking of just sending them the light so they can see for themselves. I baught a replacement already but its not the deluxe with the intergrated turns. Maybe they will ship me back a new one?
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 12:08:05 PM »

Hey two lane! I am thinking of just sending them the light so they can see for themselves. I baught a replacement already but its not the deluxe with the intergrated turns. Maybe they will ship me back a new one?

Scott, it really is worth a shot.  If it means anything I really have seen nothing but great service out of those folks in the past.  All but bending over backwards to make something right.  And I know a couple of other guys who have benefited from the same thing.  

So hell yeah, you may get lucky and score a new light.  Send it back with a nice polite note explaining that it has dimmed and begun to fail during the warranty period and, as a result, is now a safety issue.  

Good luck !

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Re: Kuryakn Panacea taillight
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 01:59:40 AM »

Scott,
what is the difference between  the $159 one & the $89 one, is it just the intergrated
turns? I have been thinking about getting a smoked tail light lens & thought the led type would be cool.

Cheers Mike   [smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:01:11 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 10:45:23 AM »

yes the 89 dollar version is taillight only the Deluxe has the intergrated turn signals.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »

I just got a response from Kuryakun and they have agreed to replace the light if I ship em the old one.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:36:11 AM »

Great news Scott.  Really glad to hear it.  For the rest of us it's just nice to know that the company is still as effective to work with as they'd seemed in the past.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 10:37:34 PM »

Also the 89 dollar version does not blink three times before going solid. I just found that out when I installed it.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 12:01:05 AM »

Thanks for the info sefatboyscott, I have the same light and mine filled up with water also. In fact it filled up during the 05 magie valley ride where the riding conditions made me wonder why I didnt bring the boat. We joked that I should have some fish floating around in there. I took mine apart after getting home and cleaned it out the best I could. I then siliconed up the the gasket area that is open inside where the water was getting in. No problem since, but mayby I should contact Kuryakyn also, with my concerns in the reliability of the board lasting.

reo.....

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 12:01:33 AM »

Thanks for the info sefatboyscott, I have the same light and mine filled up with water also. In fact it filled up during the 05 magie valley ride where the riding conditions made me wonder why I didnt bring the boat. We joked that I should have some fish floating around in there. I took mine apart after getting home and cleaned it out the best I could. I then siliconed up the the gasket area that is open inside where the water was getting in. No problem since, but mayby I should contact Kuryakyn also, with my concerns in the reliability of the board lasting.

reo.....

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 01:07:01 AM »

Absolutley contact them. It would be good to let them know I am not the only one with the problem.If nothing else it will cause them to reconsider the design of the thing. It clearly looks like it should have a bead of silicone running the entire perimeter of the light on the board, the did the two sides why not the top and bottom?
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.