Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UC Upgrade to SE  (Read 1731 times)

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
UC Upgrade to SE
« on: March 21, 2009, 06:44:14 PM »

I'm thinking seriously about upgrading my '05 UC to a SEUC... 

That said, I know I'm better off selling my rig myself as opposed to trading it in, which may take some time in this economy.

I have a pretty good working knowledge on the Ultra Classics the past few years, but would like to get some "words of wisdom" on the past couple/few years of SE Editions.

2009, 2008, 2007? 

Pros and cons would be helpful.

THANKS

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: UC Upgrade to SE
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »

Hey Ken. You might get a lot of responses on this one! With that said, The 07's and First half of 08's had/have a lot of problems with Head and base gasket leaks, heated grip problems, acr failures, etc. A recall included new heads, and gaskets, lower case bolt. Most of us love them anyway!
The 09's have a new frame design which has reportedly improved handling considerably. I am sure others will expand on the differences. Which ever year you choose, we know your IPod mount will look good on it :) Keep us posted!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:59:26 PM »

If your in the market for another bike get an 09! The chassis improvements are huge!

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:22 PM »

As HD-Dude said, get an 09.
Also, you may NOT be better off trying to sell your bike.
I regularly track auction prices on Ebay and for the last few months, it is rare that a bike actually sells because the reserve have been set too high, which means you may be better off trading it in.
I traded my 05 SEEG with 13K miles in November and got $20K and considered myself lucky.
Some people on this site didn't think that was a good deal, but you have to have a real buyer with cash in hand willing to pay what you think it's worth for it to be worth your price.
These days, those buyers are few, therefore you may be better off trading your existing bike.
Good luck.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:28:37 PM »

Like the others have stated, get the 09 or 10..   It's tough selling a used bike on your own right now.  A lot of nice bikes to choose from are out there used.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »

Depending on why you are getting / wanting the new bike I would as many have said choose an 09/10, or I would consider just putting a 6speed and say a jim's motor in the bike you have.   

Best of luck whatever you decide.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »

Like the others have stated, get the 09 or 10..   It's tough selling a used bike on your own right now.  A lot of nice bikes to choose from are out there used.

AGREE...
Was thinking one of them would be the bike I'd like to buy. 
Sounding like 09/10 is a better option that 07/08... so that may limit finding a decent buy in the used marketplace.

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »

Depending on why you are getting / wanting the new bike I would as many have said choose an 09/10, or I would consider just putting a 6speed and say a jim's motor in the bike you have.   

Best of luck whatever you decide.

True, true. 
Adding more bells & whistles is also under consideration. 

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:28:38 AM »

If you like your UC and it runs fine, I would just hang on to it. Why take the hit. Save your money.Sounds like you have a nice bike. Depending on the mileage, you might get 14k if your lucky. If you have extra money, you want to spend, then go for it. 36k for the SEUC is / has been a pretty big pill to swallow for me, and I make 100k a year at my job.. I personally will not be upgrading soon. Originally, I went in to the dealer to buy a Black UC w/ ABS and XM radio, and spend 24-26k max. I left with an '08 SEUC
for some reason. I like what I have but, had they had what I wanted, I would have bought that. The 96cu motor is good. My cousin has a '07 Black Cherry Ultra and loves his,
and he was riding Harleys when I was standing on the corner of my street waiting on the Ice Cream truck as a kid. Maybe think about bump'n the motor if you want more power instead..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:45:06 AM by JohnT. »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 05:56:23 PM »

If you do make the move, the 09 is absolutely the best way to go.  Not that there's anything wrong with the 07's or 08's, but the 09's don't have the head problems and the handling is a night and day difference.  I just rode my friends 08 for a few miles a week or so ago, and I was very happy to get back on mine.  I could really feel the difference on the curves.

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
Re: UC Upgrade to SE - Update
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 09:29:25 AM »

Great advice all around.  Decided to keep my '05 and spend some of those SE$ on upgrades.
Just rode her home last night:
- 95" Big Bore Kit (SE 203 cams)
- Rinehart true duals
- Detachable tour pack
- Stage II
- Misc cosmetic bells & whistles (detachable back seat rest, lower light bar and plate, etc...)

Earlier (DIY):
- Hawg-Wired (sound is incredible with my iPod and Rider's Claw mount)
- 9.5" smoke Clearview recurve
- Bar & Shield foot rests, brake lever pad, shift pegs, shift linkage, passenger boards, highway pegs, and a whole bunch of other little stuff I can't recall.

Looks great, sounds greater, runs even greater.  I'll post a pic later.  Think I'll ride today.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »

good for you Ken.   when making big upgrades and cosmetic improvements, it almost feels like you're on a new bike anyway..   By the way,  I love my new and improved mount...  take care.

jiml

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

09 all the way totaly different bike from my 05

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 25 queries.