Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Swing Arm Water Patch  (Read 3915 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Swing Arm Water Patch
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 12:31:14 AM »

Maybe I should read this closer but I was a little worried about WD-40 DRAINING near the rear tire.  Be CAREFUL!
I once hit an intersection where a dump truck blew a hydraulic line and left the entire lane covered in fluid.  It was too late when I saw it and I was doing 65 so I pulled in the clutch and coasted thru.  Not really a big event once I go the seat cushion out of my butt. 
Hydraulic fluid was dripping from the bike when I pulled over.  It was still dripping when I got home 45 minutes later.

Even when I did the stupid move of not putting something under there...not thinking ahead that it was going to be draining out of there...with the bike leaning to that side, the puddle of WD-40 on my floor was far from the rear tire and I was able to casually get up and find something to clean up the puddle on the floor.  Unless, of course, if you do it someplace where the floor is angled to drain in the direction of the tire, and then you may have to be a little quicker about cleaning up the spill.  Either way, put something under the belt guard hole in the swingarm to catch the WD-40 on it's way back out.  Someone else told me I should just spray some of that expandable foam insulation in the hole and then I wouldn't even have to worry about blocking the hole, but that didn't sound like something reversible, in case Harley came up with a fix down the road.

When I did this, I did let it sit for a bit to make sure it was all drained and wiped the excess from the hole a few times.  I didn't want more of it to drain onto the top of the belt guard cover, travel to the bolt hole, and end up on the drive belt.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 05:52:53 AM »

and I was able to casually get up
bet you scrambled
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:25 AM »

bet you scrambled

After muttering "Oh Chit", getting up off the floor only happens in one speed for me, and scrambling is not it.  Casually yes, gracefully no.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.