Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: g  (Read 2459 times)

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Boyensen X-wing
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »

My tuner couldn't get the air/fuel right on the dyno with the x wing in place.  Took it out and the AF straighten right out.  Couldn't argue with the graph.  May work different on other bikes but the 110 didn't like it.

blackhillsken

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 09:48:42 AM »

"I've tested all these types of gadgets on the dyno - here's my .02"
Yes, but have you tested this product?  ( I have )

Like most of you, I've been there, done that regarding the magic power enhancers on the market.  (Hell, they can't even give away the Turbulators).
I wouldn't have even given a second look to the X-Wing  if it weren't for the reputation of the manufacturer (Boyesen).  Figured I'd give it a chance.
On my own bike (04 95" FLHT CV carbed), I did before and after full throttle tests and found no improvement (or harm) to the horse and torque.  So, took it off and chalked it up to more snake oil.  Read on.

Then, a friend of mine who works for a popular bike rag asked me to do some testing of the X-Wing on her CV carbed 88" Dyna.  Figured it would be good exposure for me, plus maybe I'd learn something.  (you guys with your closed minds should try this once in a while).

This time, I decided to also do part throttle tests as well as the wide open stuff since this is where we ride most of the time.  I made up a steel bracket to go on the carb that would precisely stop the throttle at the same point (about halfway) every run.
The wide open throttle runs bore out the same results as I got on my bike (no increase or decrease).  But, next, the part throttle tests surprised me.
The part throttle X-Wing runs repeatedly delivered 3-4 more horse and torque across the board.

After this testing, I put one back into my bike for some road tests.  I didn't ride it that day, though, and had to park it for a week.  When I took it out for a ride a week later, I had forgotten about the X-Wing.  As I was just normally accelerating through the gears, I thought "this thing just feels pretty snappy today".  Then it hit me.  I remembered.
Like egultrac, I am also getting better gas mileage (7-8%) and it just flat runs better. 

I'm have no stake in this product (just an independent shop with a DJ250I), and I haven't tested this on injected bikes yet, but I'm impressed with the improvement to the 2  CV carbed  bikes I've tested.

Sometimes, a good product has to overcome the bad rep that came from all the crap before it.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »

A good amount of skepticsm is appropriate with the proliferation of "life changing" products that come to the market every day. Imho, the only real way to confirm the 'value' is to ensure the test mule is thoroughly tuned before AND after so that any slight deficiencies aren't arbitrarily assisted with the product. I was in the high performance marine business for many years and often found that some parts that actually improved performance on poorly, even slightly, untuned engines, would absolutely hinder perfromance on a properly tuned engine.

Until someone takes a test vehicle and wrings out the best possible performance, then does the same after this single install - all else equal, it's really not an apples vs apples comparison. I can't tell you how many 'experts' insist tornados are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not trying to dilute what you've experienced, but just sharing mine. In the past, I've used Boyesen performance reeds on my dirt bikes for years with great results, so there may be something here, but that doesn't guaranty anything until a real controlled test is completed and duplicated a number of times. My .02 fwiw.

2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

blackhillsken

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »

"Until someone takes a test vehicle and wrings out the best possible performance, then does the same after this single install - all else equal, it's really not an apples vs apples comparison."

Hmmm, that's odd.   I thought I stated that's what I did, but maybe I needed to be more complete about how I tested.
The engine was in an excellent state of tune immediately prior to the testing.
At least 4-5 runs were made for both the "with" and the "without"  X-Wing tests.
For every run, engine temp was monitored and consistently duplicated.
All runs were made within 2 hrs. to eliminate day to day weather influences.
Air/Fuel monitoring showed no rejeting needed as emissions were the same with and without the wing.
The same "throttle technique" was carefully used every time (same rpm start to the runs as well as the same speed of roll into the throttle.)

Did I miss anything?   :)

Since this is the "Theorynet" we're using here, my theory regarding my observed increase in gas mileage is this;
A given motorcycle/rider combo (bike, rider, wind & rolling resistance) requires a certain amount of horsepower to maintain a certain speed.  If, after any performance enhancement, the engine produces more horsepower at the same throttle position as it did prior to the enhancement (without an increase in jet size), you should be able to maintain the same speed with less throttle which would result in better gas mileage.

How's that for a theory?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »

Over the years many products come on the market. They have many claims to do fantastic things such as gas mileage increases, HP, Torque, etc etc. Do all these devices work? Yes, No, Maybe.
Think of all the people who buy exhaust and spend mucho dinero to get 5 HP. Can they really feel that power? Probably not, but, if it works for them, why not? I'm in Sturgis right now, and it seems that everyone here likes drag pipes for the street. Do they have more power? Not really, but, I guess if you are making a "statement".....this is one way to be noticed.
Bottom line: if you find a product that works for you, use it. If you have a good experience with a product, share it,
"buyer beware". What works for one person, may not work for another.
Dyno claims are just that: Claims. Anyone can put statistics together to prove/disprove a point (I actually LEARNED something in my stats. class years ago!!)
Will I use this product? No, not really interested.
Is my bike running at it's 100% potential? No.
Am I happy with the changes/products I have now? Yep!!!
I am not one to jump into the fast lane without spending some time merging over from the slow lane, that's just me.
Give people a break on here, we were all excited about something at one time or another, right?
This forum is for sharing of ideas/products/bikes.
Digest what you learn here, figure out what will work for YOUR riding style, go forth and multiply (Oooops, delete that last part)!!!
HOGMIKE

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »

I don't know Blackhillsken, but I've read, and reread your original post and don't see a thing about ensuring the pre-condition was in top tune. In fact, I did not read anything about jetting or A/F ratio before or after. Thanks for sharing the clarification with your follow up post.

I would agree in principle to your theory with regards to throttle position and economy.

Glad you like it.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

blackhillsken

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »

HOGMIKE,
Good post.  Well said.

mrmagloo,
You're right.  I didn't initially state all that probably because, to me, all the variables being identical from test to test as well as starting with a high state of tune would be SOP.  You were right to question as that's not always the way tests are conducted, unfortunately.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.