Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leader of Mongol motorcycle gang faces 20 years in prison  (Read 1562 times)

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
Leader of Mongol motorcycle gang faces 20 years in prison
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »

Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Leader of Mongol motorcycle gang faces 20 years in prison
U.S. District Court document reveals the leader entered a guilty plea in January
By SERENA MARIA DANIELS
The Orange County Register
Comments 5| Recommend 0

The former leader of a notorious motorcycle gang has pleaded guilty to a racketeering conspiracy charge and faces up to 20 years in prison.

Other members of the gang are accused of murder, drug trafficking and violent attacks.

Ruben "Doc" Cavazos, 52, and other leaders of the Southern California-based Mongol Motorcycle Club are alleged to have instructed members to murder, extort, rob and traffic drugs to "promote and further the activities of the Mongols gang," according to a 177-page indictment obtained by the Associated Press.

Prosecutors in Los Angeles also claim that Cavazos was involved in negotiating with Mexican Mafia leaders over the collection of payments for drug trafficking and getting Mongol members to commit crimes against people who challenged the gang's authority.

In October, at least 61 members of the Mongols were arrested in a federal racketeering indictment, a three-year operation dubbed Operation Black Rain, that included charges of murder, attempted murder, assault, and gun and drug violations, said a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The Mongols have a history in Orange County:

•In 2001, a brawl broke out between motorcycle gangs, including the Mongols, forcing the cancellation of a swap meet at the Orange County Fairgrounds, the first time in its 27-year history.

•In 2002, Fountain Valley police raided the homes of 12 people suspected of being members of the Mongols, following the pistol-whipping of a man that summer in which member of the gang are alleged to have been involved. Three were arrested.

And in 2002, the Mongols had a confrontation with the Hell's Angels in Laughlin, Nev., that left three bikers dead.

A U.S. District Judge has barred members from wearing the Mongol logo as part of an injunction. An attorney for the Mongols said the group wants to have the injunction limited to only members who have been indicted.

The June 29 document shows that Cavazos has agreed to forfeit all rights to the Mongol registered trademark as part of his plea agreement.

Cavazos will be sentenced Feb. 22.

City News Service and Associated Press contributed to this report.
Contact the writer: 714-704-3795 or sdaniels@ocregister.com

HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Leader of Mongol motorcycle gang faces 20 years in prison
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:46:18 PM »

not enough

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Leader of Mongol motorcycle gang faces 20 years in prison
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »

Send them all to hell with Jackson.
Bill

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.