Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: old helmets still good?  (Read 2000 times)

bobroadglide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Silver SERG
    • CVO2: 05 Cherry SEEG
old helmets still good?
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »

I was talking with my friendly HD salesman about the 100th anniversary helmets we have, 1/2 shorties that fit into the hard saddlebags.  He mentioned that they are over 5 years old, and we need to replace them.  I have to wear a helmet to get onto Cape Canaveral Air Force station where I work, so I always wear a helmet to work.  After hours, I try to wear a helmet except on the hottest days here in Florida.  I had heard that you need to periodically replace helmets, especially after any impact, but had not heard the time limit.  I will replace the anniversary helmets but I was wondering about my Nolan full face (flip up chin) helmets.  I have not worn the yellow one since I bought the 03 Road Glide, and only wear the silver Nolan on the days where the temp is real low, 30 degrees F.  And in Florida, that is less than two days a year.  So are these old helmets still good?  I figure the solar exposure is what degrades the plastics in the helmet, but I don't really know that.  Anyone out there care to educate me?  Can you give me some ideas for helmets that fit into saddlebags?   

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: old helmets still good?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »

I still wear the one I got in 03. Haven't banged it up yet. I'll let you know if it works after I crash.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »

I was talking with my friendly HD salesman about the 100th anniversary helmets we have, 1/2 shorties that fit into the hard saddlebags.  He mentioned that they are over 5 years old, and we need to replace them.  I have to wear a helmet to get onto Cape Canaveral Air Force station where I work, so I always wear a helmet to work.  After hours, I try to wear a helmet except on the hottest days here in Florida.  I had heard that you need to periodically replace helmets, especially after any impact, but had not heard the time limit.  I will replace the anniversary helmets but I was wondering about my Nolan full face (flip up chin) helmets.  I have not worn the yellow one since I bought the 03 Road Glide, and only wear the silver Nolan on the days where the temp is real low, 30 degrees F.  And in Florida, that is less than two days a year.  So are these old helmets still good?  I figure the solar exposure is what degrades the plastics in the helmet, but I don't really know that.  Anyone out there care to educate me?  Can you give me some ideas for helmets that fit into saddlebags?   

A general rule of thumb has been to replace helmets every 3 to 5 years, or after any impact.  The materials and adhesives degrade over time even if they are sitting in a dark closet somewhere.  Some helmet manufacturer's, such as Shoei, will inspect your helmet to determine if it is still safe to use.  Shoei does it free of charge, all you have to do is pay shipping one way.  Not sure about Nolan, but you might want to contact them and ask.

The following is Shoei's advice on this subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:

The helmet was subjected to an impact.
The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:33:21 AM »

I knew about replacing after impact but never heard of a shelf life for helmets. I've been using the same helmet I bought in 1997. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new one in the next few days. Thanks for starting the chat on this bobroadglide.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 04:05:54 AM »

Helmets need to be replaced because the material degrades after several years rendering the helmet not safe. Obviously five years is a rule of thumb, and your helmet could be as safe as new (if not dropped) even after seven years. Carbon fiber helmets and other composite materials may never expire. Just my two cents.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 07:11:33 AM »

here's another helmet tidbit. If you get in a wreck and the helmet Fails, the manuf will not cover if there are stickers on it.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:17:35 AM »

here's another helmet tidbit. If you get in a wreck and the helmet Fails, the manuf will not cover if there are stickers on it.

If I'm in an accident and the helmet fails I'd likely be cemetery fertilizer anyway.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 07:24:51 AM »

If I'm in an accident and the helmet fails I'd likely be cemetery fertilizer anyway.
knew there'd be someone saying that. had it happen to my wife, 2 yrs ago when she wrecked, the insurance company paid for all gear, pants , jacket, gloves, helmet. when she ordered a new helmet the Manuf said they would replace for free if she returned the original. couple days later they called and said since there were no stickers on it the would send a new one no charge. they did ask a bunch of Q's about the wreck, info gathering. But all in all, If you add a sticker, it voids the warrantee.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:29:46 AM »

Wouldn't the insurance co. replace the helmet either way?  :nixweiss:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »

if you had good coverage, yes they would, a friend who wrecked his bike had probs with Ins Co. they paid only damage to the bike to stock condition, and no gear. fought with them along time, only to loose.

bobroadglide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Silver SERG
    • CVO2: 05 Cherry SEEG
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »

D@mmit, makes me want to send Nolan two old, but unused-stored in a heated garage, in a helmet bag, unscratched helmets.....for replacement.  I mean the visors are not even scratched.

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 11:26:59 PM »

Bobroadglide, I've always heard 3-5 years for replacement even if not dropped.  If dropped, replace asap (unless it is a really short drop).  If you store it in extreme cold or heat, suggest replacing every 2-3 years.  That was from non HD or helmet sales people, an instructor I trust.

As for helmets that fit saddlebags, if you ride a SERG 09, the new Hybrid Ultra Light HD helmet seems tailor-made to slip into it sideways, in 2 or 3 different positions without scratching even.  Plus, it's a great helmet that feels great and is light indeed so your neck won't tire even with all-day riding.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.