Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: swingarm replacement on 2001 road glide  (Read 4361 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
swingarm replacement on 2001 road glide
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:10:25 PM »

replaced the swingarm and all the bushings today.... bushings came pressed in the swingarm from the factory. the frame mounted bushings I  replaced too................after she is all  tourqed, it seems a little tight, not super tight but you did need minor force to make it drop with no shocks attatched. and the side plates were a little tight going on also. she  will all this wear in? I thought once the weight of the bike and me were going down the road, it would not even be noticed, what does everyone think?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:13:24 PM by HEADPAN62 »
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: swingarm replacement on 2001 road glide
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:17:11 PM »

replaced the swingarm and all the bushings today.... bushings came pressed in the swingarm from the factory. the frame mounted bushings I  replaced too................after she is all  tourqed, it seems a little tight, not super tight but you did need minor force to make it drop with no shocks attatched. and the side plates were a little tight going on also. she  will all this wear in? I thought once the weight of the bike and me were going down the road, it would not even be noticed, what does everyone think?

Stayed with the stock swingarm?  Or made the upgrade to the post-02 version?

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »

stock arm. I didnt know about a upgrade. guess I should had did some researching. my stock arm cracked on top of the axle. A few more miles and I would had been road kill.  now i'm bummed. it was not cheap either
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:51:08 PM »

stock arm. I didnt know about a upgrade. guess I should had did some researching. my stock arm cracked on top of the axle. A few more miles and I would had been road kill.  now i'm bummed. it was not cheap either

That's a not unknown failure.  You can use the newer swingarm.  Though not directly.

It's beefier.  But you'd need the newer axle, bearings, couple of other small bits and one of two options for the tranny cross shaft.  Either a bushing kit that allows using the older/smaller shaft with the newer swingarm or drilling/honing the transmission to accept the newer/larger shaft.

My red 2000 is getting it this winter.  Not screwing with it until then.  No cracks in the swingarm but it's tweaked just a tiny bit on the right side from a time when a shock broke internally and tried to make it a rigid.  I'm using the bushing kit when I get around to doing it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:52:14 PM »

Don't be too bummed.  You got 'er done and it lasted almost ten years the first time.  You're good until the 2020s come out :2vrolijk_21: .

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 01:44:48 AM »

I did my '01 earlier this year. I used a later style swing arm and the PolyBushings from MotorcycleMetal.com. Those allowed me to use the OEM swingarm pivot shaft. I didn't want to take a chance reaming out the tranny. In fact I bought the bushings from a guy who changed his mind and tried to ream out the tranny only to screw it up. So he HAD to pull the tranny and go with an oversize shaft. He sold me his bushings because he could no longer use them.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 08:33:49 AM »

still have unanswered questions fellas, she is a little (tight) with all the new stuff in. no worries??
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »

still have unanswered questions fellas, she is a little (tight) with all the new stuff in. no worries??

Ooops, sorry.  A little tight is a subjective term.  Hard to know from here. 

Was it worn on disassembly?  If so there might be a good bit of relative difference to get back to "good."  If everything was pressed in straight and assembled without having to be overly forced you should be good to go.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.