Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Route across New Mexico  (Read 955 times)

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Route across New Mexico
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:20:07 PM »

In mid-August, some friends and I will be traveling from Williams, Arizona across New Mexico ending up in Austin, Texas.  We'd like to make the trip interesting, staying off of the interstates as much as possible, but also making a fairly quick trip as we have commitments in Austin. 
We are taking the 380 in from Arizona, dropping down to Ruidoso and spending a night there.  From there were thinking we'll go down to Alamogordo and take Hwy 82 across to Artesia, pick up 529 into Hobbs, and the 180 into Texas and end up in Big Springs for the night. 
Any recommendations, warnings, or other infor mation would be much appreciated.  In particular, lodging recommendations for Ruidoso and Big Springs would be very helpful. 
Thanks to any and all!
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
Re: Route across New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »

Fourstar -

I just added a route in the HD Rideplanner.  It is listed as Ruidoso-Austin. It is the best, fastest route I have found from Austin-Ruidoso-Austin.  It is approx 570 miles, and is a 1 day ride (if you want to ride 570 in 1 day!)  decent roads, no interstate, nice scenic sections.  If you ride at dawn, dusk, or anytime in between, WATCH OUT FOR DEER AND OTHER CRITTERS.  Many animal strikes in all of west and central Texas.  Can't recommend motels, I stay with friends in Ruidoso, and do the ride in 1 day.

Good luck - enjoy your trip!

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »

Take plenty of water, drink often, ride in the morning and evening

just my opinion

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:47:23 PM »

Take plenty of water, drink often, ride in the morning and evening

just my opinion

Marty

At least drink lots of water when you stop for gas. I did a several days riding in the dry heat, Moab, Mexican Hat area and got a little dehydrated, it caused the cushion between the disk in my back to shrink, pinched my sciatic nerve. Couldn't stand up straight for four or five days, but could still ride the bike, hurt like hell!

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »

Thanks for all of the help!  It looks like we're going to go South from Ruidoso through Cloudcroft, to Hobbs and on to Big Spring, then down through San Angelo and into Austin.  We're staying a night in Big Spring to break it up a little. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.