Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about TTS Mastertune.  (Read 2782 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Question about TTS Mastertune.
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »

I have a 2009 SEUC. I will be using Steve at Fulsacs setup, and I want to do the download and upload  myself or with the help of a friend of mine who is very computer smart. My Question is : When you download the stock map from the ECM to a disk or memory stick to save it, does the ECM  at that point become a blank slate, so to speak, until you upload Steve's map? Just curious about that.  I will have a stage one air cleaner with K&N filter, cat free header, and Steve's 1.75 baffles installed when I do the upload. I just rode from Simi Valley Ca. to Gordon Nebraska and back with a passenger and about 30 lbs of luggage.(took all the scenic routes) My bike pinged alot during most of the trip. High altitude, low altitude, hot, or cold it may have been the gas because it seemed to ping a lot less when I got back to California. I got good gas mileage mostly 40MPG,and the actual performance of the bike was great but the pinging was very bad and sometimes when I backed off from about 3000rpm at 80MPH and slowed down to about 2200-2400 RPM I had one lifter that was banging pretty loud. Under a load the valve train noise was normal. I am using syn3 right now but at my next oil change I am switching to red line20/60.This is a great site and it provides a lot of valuable information (My other bike is a 1995 Heritage with an S&S motory with IST ignition. I couldn't get it to ping if I tried). Thanks for any comments or replies. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Question about TTS Mastertune.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »

Pardon the potential tone that might seem implied in the question.  Not meant that way.  But in text only you never know....

Just curious why you did about 2700 miles round trip across the desert hearing engine noise that you thought might be alleviated by a better (or at least different) oil and didn't take a couple hours some afternoon to get it changed on the way?

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »

When using Mastertune and you make the backup copy that is all you have done, just made a backup copy. The bike will start and run just as it did before since you have made no changes at all until you add Steve's calibration.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »

I have a 2009 SEUC. I will be using Steve at Fulsacs setup, and I want to do the download and upload  myself or with the help of a friend of mine who is very computer smart. My Question is : When you download the stock map from the ECM to a disk or memory stick to save it, does the ECM  at that point become a blank slate, so to speak, until you upload Steve's map? Just curious about that.  I will have a stage one air cleaner with K&N filter, cat free header, and Steve's 1.75 baffles installed when I do the upload. I just rode from Simi Valley Ca. to Gordon Nebraska and back with a passenger and about 30 lbs of luggage.(took all the scenic routes) My bike pinged alot during most of the trip. High altitude, low altitude, hot, or cold it may have been the gas because it seemed to ping a lot less when I got back to California. I got good gas mileage mostly 40MPG,and the actual performance of the bike was great but the pinging was very bad and sometimes when I backed off from about 3000rpm at 80MPH and slowed down to about 2200-2400 RPM I had one lifter that was banging pretty loud. Under a load the valve train noise was normal. I am using syn3 right now but at my next oil change I am switching to red line20/60.This is a great site and it provides a lot of valuable information (My other bike is a 1995 Heritage with an S&S motory with IST ignition. I couldn't get it to ping if I tried). Thanks for any comments or replies. CAHDBIKER

It would seem to me that your knock sensor, or something related,, is not functioning properly. The new engines should NOT ping! I have heard mine just START to make a little noise (bad gas!) and the timing will roll back, bike will run smooth without any engine noises. On my trip, I have run anywhere from 93 octane to 86 and the engine will behave just fine, although the power is down with cheap gas. Best running gas I have found is in Montana and Texas, worst is in Illinois, must be the "mix" they put in the pumps!

I have to agree with you on the S&S with IST, I like mine also.
HOGMIKE

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »

It would seem to me that your knock sensor, or something related,, is not functioning properly. The new engines should NOT ping! I have heard mine just START to make a little noise (bad gas!) and the timing will roll back, bike will run smooth without any engine noises. On my trip, I have run anywhere from 93 octane to 86 and the engine will behave just fine, although the power is down with cheap gas. Best running gas I have found is in Montana and Texas, worst is in Illinois, must be the "mix" they put in the pumps!

I have to agree with you on the S&S with IST, I like mine also.

Hogmike, I am taking my bike in for the lifter noise and the pinging on Wednesday. I have copied the page( 1-59) from the owners manuel trouble shooting section that relates to my problem. I have a good relationship with my HD dealer and I always try to use the same mechanic (whom I tip) so I am hoping they can make some sort of adjustments regarding the pinging. Thanks for your imput. CAHDBIKER

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »

i just came back from a trip through canada and had the same exact thing happen, bike ran great across highway but would ping and knock when i would stop. My buddy was also 2up with luggage and he has an 02road king not a noise from his at all and we fueled up at the same stations so i dont think it was a fuel issue.

It is currently at the dealer, waiting to hear back from them now.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »

i just came back from a trip through canada and had the same exact thing happen, bike ran great across highway but would ping and knock when i would stop. My buddy was also 2up with luggage and he has an 02road king not a noise from his at all and we fueled up at the same stations so i dont think it was a fuel issue.

It is currently at the dealer, waiting to hear back from them now.

If you could let me know if they get rid of the pinging I would appreciate it. My engine pinged a lot more when I was out of California then it does when I ride locally. The only thing that could change is the fuel and maybe 30 lbs of luggage because I usually ride two up. If I applied throttle it would ping until I backed off just a little bit. On my way home my last two fillups were in CA. The pinging subsided quite a bit. Even climbing the last big hill on interstate 5 (the grapevine) into Los Angeles at 75mph in 6th gear it didn't ping that much. I can't imagine the gas being that different in CA. I had a guy pull up next to me at a local restaurant, on a new softail (96") and you could not hear any lifter noise from his engine at all and he was running stock exhaust. I just don't understand how one engine could be so different from another. I will make a post if the dealer makes any repairs to stop the pinging and the lifter noise. Thanks CAHDBIKER

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »

my dealer just called me back for the 3rd time today, they have now found the problem with my bike dont know what it is. they have gotten it to ping/knock and also noticed the noise and lack of power. they are going to check some more things and call the moco to see if they should start tearing apart the engine...just what i wanted to hear!

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »

my dealer just called me back for the 3rd time today, they have now found the problem with my bike dont know what it is. they have gotten it to ping/knock and also noticed the noise and lack of power. they are going to check some more things and call the moco to see if they should start tearing apart the engine...just what i wanted to hear!
sta

Let's hope it is just a computer problem. I am taking mine in wednesday for the pinging and lifter noise. I wonder if they are going to tell me its normal.I am getting my money together for the setup from Fulasac 1.75 baffles / mastertune / non cat header / and stage one air cleaner which I will install myself. If you have the dealer installthe stage one air cleaner they want you to recalibrate. I don't think we should have to pay for that on a CVO Bike.
I hope you get your problems solved. CAHDBIKER

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »

sta

Let's hope it is just a computer problem. I am taking mine in wednesday for the pinging and lifter noise. I wonder if they are going to tell me its normal.I am getting my money together for the setup from Fulasac 1.75 baffles / mastertune / non cat header / and stage one air cleaner which I will install myself. If you have the dealer installthe stage one air cleaner they want you to recalibrate. I don't think we should have to pay for that on a CVO Bike.
I hope you get your problems solved. CAHDBIKER

If you do all of this yourself, you will have a better setup than what the dealer will do for you! Be patient and read all the instructions!
HOGMIKE

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 07:33:18 AM »

i am planning on the same upgrade after i get the bike back from the dealer. I know when i changed the pipes on my 06 street glide it ran much cooler.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »

If you do all of this yourself, you will have a better setup than what the dealer will do for you! Be patient and read all the instructions!
Thanks for the reply. I should have all my fulsac parts in a few weeks. I have a non cat header lined up with a guy on the site. One of my friends who rides a 01 Road King uses computers for a living so he will help me with the mastertune stuff. With Steve's map I am hoping to avoid any dyno time. This is a great site. CAHDBIKER

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:52 AM »

Just a silly question,did your friend enable the knock sensor?
2012 Ultra Limited,V&H VO2 Intake,Wood 222 Cams,Cobra Power Port Header,CVO Mufflers,TTS Tuner
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »

Just a silly question,did your friend enable the knock sensor?

I haven't downloaded my mastertune yet because I am waiting for my noncat header to arrive.(bought it from one of the guys on the site). I took my bike (2009 SEUC Silver) to the dealer to check the knock sensor and they said all the readings were normal and that my knock sensor was working. However, they said that my lifter noise was also normal and to a point it is.( when the engine is under a load I have normal valve train noise, but when I am at about 2300 rpm I feel as though I have one lifter that is bleeding down and is pretty noisey. They could not duplicate the noise so I guess I will eventually install S.E. tapered pushrods and S&S lifters like one of the guys on the site did. He was very happy about the results. I will make a post when I get my performance upgrades installed. Thanks for your question. CAHDBIKER

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.